Wiki Posts
Search

Black Friday promo 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K
Black Friday promo 2022

Somewhat disappointing Black Friday offers for Air Canada. Seems no discounts on flights - yet. Link here: https://www.aircanada.com/en-ca/black-friday

Looks like:
  1. The option of one of the three:
    1. 50% Bonus Aeroplan Points for economy class flights and vacation packages
    2. 100% Bonus Aeroplan Points for Business and Premium Economy class flights and vacation packages
    3. 5% Aeroplan Points back
  2. Some discounts for vacation packages
  3. Bonus points per dollar spent on AC GC
  4. Points back for hotel stays at certain spots.=
All pretty lame IMO.

Old Nov 17, 2022, 1:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Pretty disappointing promo. I chose the 5% back for redemptions, something better than nothing.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Suppose someone buys $10k of gift cards. It looks like they would get 750 AP points for the first $750, and 27750 AP points on the next $9250. Does anyone know (i) whether one would also get AP credit card bonus points, e.g., 2x or 3x the 10,000, depending on which card they hold?, and (ii) if I use the $10k of gift cards on AC flights, do I get SQD for that?

Trying to figure out advantages/disadvantages of buying $20k of gift cards, on assumption I'll spend $20k on AC flights in the next year anyway. One big con is I wouldn't have travel insurance on the flights through a cc, as I would if I pushed them directly. But not aware of others (especially SQD question).

The 5% AP points back offer is especially ho-hum. Imagine a company advertising a 5% off Black Friday sale. Nobody would do that because it just draws attention to the fact that you are not really having a Black Friday sale.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
No real surprises in the T&C's ... but I suppose they get credit for clarity:
  • Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion, including for certainty, points earned in conjunction with the Aeroplan Elite Status bonus which are expressly excluded from this Offer.
  • Bonus Aeroplan points awarded through this promotion will count towards Everyday Status Qualification.
  • Bonus Aeroplan points awarded are not Status Qualifying Miles (SQM).
There's no word in the 5% "redemption" T&C's about how (or if) the 5% works in conjunction with priority awards. It does say that
  • Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion.
... but it's not clear to me if a priority award counts as an offer or promotion.

Last edited by canopus27; Nov 17, 2022 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
These offers are pathetic. And.. why make you choose? They're so low value and different, with a limited window to book, why not make them all available?

Ron.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE; Bonvoy Titanium
Did the signup work for you? I tried on 2 different browsers and it does not accept the "click"
Old Nov 17, 2022, 9:11 am

This is more like a black humour sale.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by CanTraveller
Did the signup work for you? I tried on 2 different browsers and it does not accept the "click"
Chrome incognito worked for me.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:05 am

I checked the four lattitude / biz flex rewards I have coming up between now and June 30, surprise surprise all of them are now just about 5% more then when i booked, pretty lame showing. Thought not like they need any help filling planes these days so maybe I was expecting too much (by expecting anything).
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by newfbc
These offers are pathetic. And.. why make you choose? They're so low value and different, with a limited window to book, why not make them all available?
When I first read the offers I had a slight hope that this would be applied to all your existing bookings, but upon reading the T&C, of course, it only applies to new bookings. If it was applied to all existing bookings, I would've been a bit more enthusiastic since I already have flights booked all the way through until April.

I'm thinking the potential for 20x points through the erewards store will yield better value...
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
  • Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion, including for certainty, points earned in conjunction with the Aeroplan Elite Status bonus which are expressly excluded from this Offer.
  • Bonus Aeroplan points awarded through this promotion will count towards Everyday Status Qualification.
  • Bonus Aeroplan points awarded are not Status Qualifying Miles (SQM).
There's no word in the 5% "redemption" T&C's about how (or if) the 5% works in conjunction with priority awards. It does say that
  • Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion.
... but it's not clear to me if a priority award counts as an offer or promotion.
I assume it will be the same as the TD/Amex 20/25% rebate promos, where it's based on the number of points you spent.

I ended up cancelling a UA-ticketed AC-operated flight (receiving a FFC) and immediately rebooking it for the same price. So now I get an extra 3252 points. Yay.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:24 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So now I get an extra 3252 points. Yay.
Hey, that's four coffees at Starbucks!
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
I think there's a theory in marketing circles that making people choose gets them to be committed to the offer. It's all about "engagement" after all...
Old Nov 17, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27

Yeah, does that mean:

(A) if I'm SE and already get a 100 percent bonus, then I can't get his 100 percent bonus as well, such that if I book a flex fare that earns 1000 AP points, I can get the SE bonus of 1000 AP, OR this Black Friday bonus, but either way I'm only getting 2000 AP points, not 3000 AP points.

Or

(B) If I'm SE and already get a 100 percent bonus, then this promotion will give me a 100% uplift on the AP points I earned independently of the AP status uplift. So if I get 1000 AP points on that flex booking, and SE gives me 1000 more, then this bonus gives me 2 x 1000 + the SE 1000, so 3000 in total. It doesn't give me 2 x 2000.

Both A and B are reading of 'this offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion'.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.