Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Branded Fares (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You need to separate your idea of brand (Comfort/Flex/Standard/Basic) from class (MUHQVWGSTLAK).

They're independent concepts, the same way you can pay $7 for a meal on any fare. It doesn't mean you're booked in "meal class", it means you paid a bit extra for something else.
I agree. Until you research AC's Fare codes where it says that Flex is MUHQV and Tango is WGSTLAK. When I then click on a fare higher than Flex , I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect it to register in one of the fare classes described as crediting full miles and not be Tango. I get that it happens with AE and people have been experiencing appropriate credit. My concern is with MP when it may or may not credit. Why can't AC just be transparent and let you see the fare code while booking? Rant over and regretting allowing my wife to talk me into booking through AC again.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I agree. Until you research AC's Fare codes where it says that Flex is MUHQV and Tango is WGSTLAK. When I then click on a fare higher than Flex , I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect it to register in one of the fare classes described as crediting full miles and not be Tango. I get that it happens with AE and people have been experiencing appropriate credit. My concern is with MP when it may or may not credit. Why can't AC just be transparent and let you see the fare code while booking? Rant over and regretting allowing my wife to talk me into booking through AC again.
You must be looking on international routes where the branding doesn't exist, since WG were Flex on North American itineraries.

Or something really old, since Tango hasn't existed for a year or two.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
You must be looking on international routes where the branding doesn't exist, since WG were Flex on North American itineraries.

Or something really old, since Tango hasn't existed for a year or two.
Yes I looked again and it was Standard not Tango. I never book them so hadn't paid attention. When I searched fare codes the pdf I found, looked like it was branded as AC but was probably older. It showed T and A as Tango. When you then compare with the MP page for AC it has the lower rate for both fares.
I had to call after a schedule change and I got a verbal answer that they will credit at 100% to UA but I guess I'll find out later. The problem is that it is as clear as mud. Partner airlines haven't updated their own sites and that the fare code isn't visible through the booking process, until after the booking is made and the ticket issued. Combine with the fact that AC schedule changes happen with incredible frequency, as well as the fact that they seem to sometimes change those codes when they reschedule and it is no wonder that people get confused. I agree that frequent screen shots and hypervigilance seem to be the order of the day. Anyway I appreciate all of the responses provided so far, which have helped me see it a little more clearly. I think
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:24 pm

And there you have it - a relatively easy way to get the proper brand from Google Flights.

Now we just need someone to build this feature into ITA Matrix Powertools
Well, someone finally got off his lazy butt and did the 10 minutes of work required for this.

It hasn't merged into the main repo yet, but if you want to grab the code directly from the pull request, you can get it here.

You still need to search on ITA with "f ac..-co" for Comfort (fl for Flex, tg for Standard, ba for Basic). This works fine with North American itineraries. I have no idea about international. But then at least the AC link gives you want you want, instead of Basic.

Edit: PR merged, so you can just use the latest version.

Last edited by canadiancow; Aug 6, 2019 at 10:30 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K
You still need to search on ITA with "f ac..-co" for Comfort (fl for Flex, tg for Standard, ba for Basic). This works fine with North American itineraries. I have no idea about international. But then at least the AC link gives you want you want, instead of Basic.
I've been searching for flex fares on LHR-YYZ and finally found that in ITA Matrix specifying `F ..-cf5` returns flex fares with the same pricing as I'm finding on AC.com. Not sure how well this fare suffix applies to other international routes though.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Are M (economy) fares fully refundable ? I thought Y and B were the only refundable for economy. But I see a transborder flight with the M fare code and the fare rules says cancellations are permitted.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:37 pm

Refundability is determined explicitly by the fare rules. The class is irrelevant. There are refundable M fares. There are non-refundable B fares.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Are M (economy) fares fully refundable ? I thought Y and B were the only refundable for economy. But I see a transborder flight with the M fare code and the fare rules says cancellations are permitted.
As per cow...

There are Standard M, Flex M, etc.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Refundability is determined explicitly by the fare rules. The class is irrelevant. There are refundable M fares. There are non-refundable B fares.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
As per cow...

There are Standard M, Flex M, etc.
gotcha. AC is making this unnecessarily complicated, so I gotta pay close attention to refundability in the fare rules, not just fare code, when executing a certain trick to cash out certain reward points currencies at max value.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I just bought a standard fare YYZBOG because flex was 60% more and I'm under OPM rules. AC website offered me PY for about the same fare difference. The details of the PY benefits did not say anything about % earning. If I took that upfare, would it still be 50% earning? Anyone done this? Thx.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I just bought a standard fare YYZBOG because flex was 60% more and I'm under OPM rules. AC website offered me PY for about the same fare difference. The details of the PY benefits did not say anything about % earning. If I took that upfare, would it still be 50% earning? Anyone done this? Thx.
If you up-fare ahead of time (not LMU) then you'll be booked in to E/N/O and you should be getting the regular PY earning, i.e. 125%.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:57 am

YYJ-YVR-YYC, P fare with YYJ-YVR in M.

YYJ-YVR posted as U.

I suspect they're doing some mapping to handle the brands, resulting in my 100% M getting mapped to "Flex" which then gets mapped to U.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
YYJ-YVR-YYC, P fare with YYJ-YVR in M.

YYJ-YVR posted as U.

I suspect they're doing some mapping to handle the brands, resulting in my 100% M getting mapped to "Flex" which then gets mapped to U.
If they are capable of doing this then they should be capable of mapping YYJ-YVR to P and giving 150% miles.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:30 am

AC fares to earn PQP on United mileage plus

Given the changes on the mileage plus program, I am now looking a booking sone long haul flights on AC. PQP (Premier Qualifying Points) are earned based on mileage flown and fate class of ticket.

economy MUH at 100%
discount economy QVWG at 75%
international deep discount economy STALK at 50%
domestic deep discount economy STALK at 25%

However, when I book on AC it only gives flex or tango for the above classes, and depending on route certain classes may be either flex or tango.

what I want, is up be able to see the difference on price between different fare classes. Ie I might want to book WG to get 75% versus STALK, but WGSTALK is all within tango in some cases.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
You can phone AC, look up fares on EF, or use something like Matrix to force AC.com to give you the fare class you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.