Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC changing flights at check-in, how common is this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC changing flights at check-in, how common is this?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by bigdog2
So UA or any other airline is technically (legally) not allowed to sell flights connecting through EWR that have a connection time lower than 60 minutes?
MCTs are more complicated than that. There are standard MCTs like the 60 minute one mentioned, and there are more specific exceptions which may be higher or lower. Airlines can set different MCTs for specific airline, origin, destination, and flight number combinations.

For example, an AC to UA connection should technically be 70 minutes.
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.30 1.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.15 1.30 1.00

AC-UA II 1.10 COUNTRY CA - ALL
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The agent did you a huge favour, because EWR is notorious for delays. There's no way you would have made it.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I m calling BS on YYZEWR on AC being anything close to on time. Just be glad you didnt have to deal in EWR.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
the ticket was purchased through AC so it's AC that should refund. But you got a better flight is it worth it?
The original tickets were purchased through UA.
Yes, the flight change was a lovely surprise. But in the instance of not traveling thru the US as expected, are customers in this situation entitled to refunds on the US airport taxes?
I don't think you will get a refund. AC likely moved you and coded it as IROP. AC lifted both UA flight coupons and marked it as flown or exchanged. As far as UA is concern, that is flown as ticketed.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris
MCTs are more complicated than that. There are standard MCTs like the 60 minute one mentioned, and there are more specific exceptions which may be higher or lower. Airlines can set different MCTs for specific airline, origin, destination, and flight number combinations.

For example, an AC to UA connection should technically be 70 minutes.
i think, because AC flights are pre-cleared before arriving at EWR, the MCT that should be in effect is D-I. I don’t think UAs system should have allowed this, which is why I was wondering if there might have been a flight time change somewhere along the line.

and IMO, if I’m correct in thinking there’s no way to do this connection all airside, since the airside [UA] shuttle bus doesn’t serve the pier that AC uses at term. A at EWR (IIRC), whether 52 minutes is actually a legal connection is pretty moot - even if AC arrives on time, the chances of getting out of Term.A, using AirTrain, then re-clearing security and arriving at the LHR gate on time is not good. Not impossible, for sure, but even tough for a seasoned EWR traveller. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
The agent did you a huge favour, because EWR is notorious for delays. There's no way you would have made it.
while true, EWR is notorious for delays on both ends. So just a matter of whether any AC delay is shorter, same or longer than the UA one. I still wouldn’t like my chances ([real] international flights are going to be more highly prioritized than short-haul/transborder), but definitely wouldn’t be too odd to have both delays essentially saving a connection.

So UA or any other airline is technically (legally) not allowed to sell flights connecting through EWR that have a connection time lower than 60 minutes?
MCT isn’t really about ‘legality’, but more about what kind of risk an airline will take in protecting passengers if they miss a connection. They are in place to say if you booked a connection, and you miss it, the airline will take responsibility in rebooking you onto your final, including any accommodation if you need to overnight before the next available flight.

If OP booked YYZ-LHR and the system allowed it, I would certainly argue as a pax that you’d be entitled to same protections, despite it being under MCT. Same if the airline changed the schedule where a ‘legally’ booked flight was changed to no longer met MCT. An airline would typically rebook as invol - and I’d argue should have been done at time of change. UAs system is pretty bad, in general, about notifications and rebooking in these situations. As a Frequent Ua traveller, I have always tended to check reservations every couple of weeks to make sure there haven’t been any changes - because they are not good at notifications.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
You did not cost PANYNJ anything, both touching their facility, so there should logically be a refund.

This may require more than 2 hours on hold, and waiting 90 days though.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by emcampbe
i think, because AC flights are pre-cleared before arriving at EWR, the MCT that should be in effect is D-I. I don’t think UAs system should have allowed this, which is why I was wondering if there might have been a flight time change somewhere along the line.
I don't think UA systems check or care if AC (code as IROP and) reissue on their own stock especially since this is revenue sharing joint venture.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
You did not cost PANYNJ anything, both touching their facility, so there should logically be a refund.

This may require more than 2 hours on hold, and waiting 90 days though.
Airline is not required to refund PFCs as per 14 CFR § 158.45 as there is no "adjustment to the amount paid by the passenger" but it must remit all PFC collected as ticketed. CBP immigration/custom fee might be recoverable but expect to run into obstacles.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't think UA systems check or care if AC (code as IROP and) reissue on their own stock especially since this is revenue sharing joint venture.
revenue joint sharing, yes, but I’m not sure if the specific details of how it all works. Not sure if they share revenue equally, if operating carrier gets a higher percentage, etc. so whether it matters and how precisely is probably based on some of the details of the agreement.

I’m also not suggesting that UA systems care if it’s re-issued - really, on day of travel, operating carrier re-issues all the time in IRROPS - heck, if OP was going to misconnect, and AC flight from YVR was full, AC could have rebooked them on the BA nonstop if they wanted. My point was that UA booked a ticket for an AC flight connecting to a UA flight, and the system should have prevented the itinerary from being purchased in the first place if it was under MCT. The system could have somehow bugged and let it ticket when it shouldn’t have, sure. But I suspect it’s more likely that the times of one of the flights changed, pushing it into an illegal connection. Even then the system should have rebooked it based on that - so in essence, the ‘system’ screwed up somewhere along the line.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:51 pm
Original Member

Revenue sharing is based on capacity provided by each carrier not on a flight by flight basis.

page 14
https://www.regulations.gov/document...2008-0234-0001

Whether passenger flew on AC, UA, LH wouldn’t matter. It’s suppose to be metal neutral (page 15).

Last edited by seawolf; Aug 26, 2022 at 9:59 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Also, the AC-UA connection process is a PITA - I don’t think you can get from the pier at A AC uses to UA terminal C at EWR airside - the part of A that UA uses is different, and unless things have changed, the airside shuttle bus only runs from the UA pier of A to term. C. So you would have had to exit the secure area at A, take AirTran to C, then re-clear security.
As recently as December and January, AC was using UA's pier at Terminal A so there was an airside bus that went directly to Terminal C without re-clearing security. Did it a couple of times in December and January and it was all very straight-forward and efficient. Maybe AC's gates were shuffled around due to all the construction going on at EWR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.