Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Sale" price $400 higher than booking made 4 days ago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

Booked a work trip to Europe on Monday. Today, I received the marketing email telling me it's time to book fall travel to Europe. So I tried rebooking the identical itinerary using the supplied promo code. Cost came out $398 higher on sale.

I'm happy I booked when I did, but seriously ...
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Booked a work trip to Europe on Monday. Today, I received the marketing email telling me it's time to book fall travel to Europe. So I tried rebooking the identical itinerary using the supplied promo code. Cost came out $398 higher on sale.

It usually will never work out if you're less than a week away from the travel date
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:23 am

I also just checked one of my bookings made ONE day before the sale.....$157 more
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by Symmetre

Honestly think AC will lose money when it comes to sales?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: TK *G
“Sale” = I want you to click on the link and hopefully you book something.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
This has been an ongoing issue, AC sales are really not sales. I wait until after the sale to buy and then use a promo code.

It's like when you walk into some stores and the prices are big in yellow or tred tags, people think its on sale, but it's the regular price. Nothing illegal or wrong with that, as the consumer assumes, and you know what that means.

I think all airlines needs to publish their prices with regulators so based on the MSRP, it is a sale, lol
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I think all airlines needs to publish their prices with regulators...
Oh, that would work well.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Oh, that would work well.
I meant Fares not prices as there is a difference. I believe they need to as in Canada there are regional rules IE YYZ-YVR is XXX but when you add YYJ or YLW for example its XXX-
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ramz
Honestly think AC will lose money when it comes to sales?
Not a chance lol ... but it does seem more than a bit ... um ... questionable? I'm trying to be polite here.
Ramz and respectable_man like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
Unless it's a sale that involves entering a promo code to get the discount, I've never found it to actually be a "sale". I used to do the same as OP (check prices for already-booked but refundable fares to see if it's lower with the sale), but now I no longer bother.

When a promo code is involved, it has to be an actual sale because AC's posted prices (without the code) still need to be competitive with other airlines so things like Google Flights and Expedia rank AC flights competitively, and the promo gives a discount off that. When there's no promo, there's no accountability of this type and, from my experience, is pretty much just a scam.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:06 pm

Would Air Canada have any real 'Labour Day Sale 2022'? Any inside info?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HSBC
Would Air Canada have any real 'Labour Day Sale 2022'? Any inside info?
That depends. How much more would you like to pay?
HSBC, tomvancouver and Seat19k like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
So the expectation is that fares should never change? OP's flights could've filled up in 5-days leaving only higher priced fare levels to go on sale but other flights on other dates could be the same or lower than what was paid however without more analysis it's impossible to know.

Maybe a disclaimed needs to be applied like in mutual fund industry that past fare performance does not indicate future fare levels.
kalderlake and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:53 pm

IME Sale is just to get publicity and interest to generate more sales/revenue…..

Prob is the public thinks a sale is discounting to generate sales or sell of excess inventory.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
This has been an ongoing issue, AC sales are really not sales. I wait until after the sale to buy and then use a promo code.

It's like when you walk into some stores and the prices are big in yellow or tred tags, people think its on sale, but it's the regular price. Nothing illegal or wrong with that, as the consumer assumes, and you know what that means.

I think all airlines needs to publish their prices with regulators so based on the MSRP, it is a sale, lol
Well, a sale does have to be a sale; I see no reason why the Competition Bureau would not be interested in airlines. See: https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/...eng/00550.html

One could well make the argument that branded fares and all the rest of it are inherently deceptive... But this weeks complaint that something a sale price today is $400 more than the same thing 4 years ago is laughable; todays price could well be $800 less than yesterdays price. And the price remembered from 4 years ago was 14+ days out, not within that, and thus be very different things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.