Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC On-Time Performance (OTP) Discussion/Complaints - Systemic Issues (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC On-Time Performance (OTP) Discussion/Complaints - Systemic Issues (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

New thread to replace existing long-running thread on OTP complaints. Previous thread here.

Please note the purpose of this thread is to discuss company-wide performance and systemic issues, rather than any particular flight. If you have questions about why a specific flight was delayed, please see this thread. If you want to know your rights to compensation for a delayed/cancelled flight, please consult this thread.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 8, 2022 at 7:56 am Reason: New thread
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Looks like AC has managed to drop below 50% in December again, with 967 cancelled flights last month

Also looks like for the first time (ever?) AC managed to beat Westjet, who had a horrible month as well, with 724 flights cancelled.

Surprised to see low percentage of US carriers flights cancelled in December given how much "sky is falling, all flights cancelled!" hype there was in the media over the holidays

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 8, 2022 at 7:57 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I think that might just be the first time AC has beaten WS for OTP. Could it happen two months in a row?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I think that might just be the first time AC has beaten WS for OTP. Could it happen two months in a row?
No, despite Westjet having their biggest meltdown ever.

AC cancelled 2715 flights in January (88 per day) and are back to their standard ~50% OTP - but hey, they beat Sunwing OTP!

Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott

Report is at https://resources.cirium.com/2021-on...rmance-review/

AC is on page 17 & 18
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Cool report. And confirms on a scale of the entire year what we all already knew based on monthly reports.. AC is (almost) the worst mainline and network in North America. Although they did manage to beat Allegiant.

Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OAG has stopped publishing a proper report but you can still look up individual airlines

For the month of March 2022, guess who is bringing up the rear in North America again?

For comparison
Westjet 72.4%
United 79.5%
American 81.0%
Transat 71.9%
Spirit 68.3%
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I don’t know why we keep taking about this like it’s news. It’s clearly not important to AC. It seems to me it’s also not that important to all the people who continue to fly with them.

We could argue about the whys and hows of it. Some people will make excuses because of weather, some will reference a smaller labor pool, etc etc.

At the end of the day, AC, like any corporation, is driven by data. Their data obviously tells them this whole subject is nearly irrelevant.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I don’t know why we keep taking about this like it’s news. It’s clearly not important to AC. It seems to me it’s also not that important to all the people who continue to fly with them.

We could argue about the whys and hows of it. Some people will make excuses because of weather, some will reference a smaller labor pool, etc etc.

At the end of the day, AC, like any corporation, is driven by data. Their data obviously tells them this whole subject is nearly irrelevant.
Then you should buy some stock and sue them for lying to shareholders.

Poor performance does not mean they don't care.

Hanlon's razor.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Poor performance does not mean they don't care.
I’ll buy that. They care. They just don’t care enough. If they did it would be fixed. Or at least marginally improved.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I’ll buy that. They care. They just don’t care enough. If they did it would be fixed. Or at least marginally improved.
It marginally improves when weather gets better. From 50% to 65%. And AC has had a rare month when they peak at ~70%.

Obviously good enough to keep planes full, so why bother improving to the level of the competition.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:59 pm

I wonder if their OTP for EC 261 eligible flights are higher than the rest of the network (obviously the data is subject to limitations, etc, more of a thought question). Perhaps AC only cares when it's costing them money.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zappy312
I wonder if their OTP for EC 261 eligible flights are higher than the rest of the network (obviously the data is subject to limitations, etc, more of a thought question). Perhaps AC only cares when it's costing them money.
I would imagine the longhaul flights are less likely to be affected by AC's miserable OTP. Smaller planes tend to do more flying throughout the day, shorter turn around times, thus a bigger chance of a domino effect happening.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
A recent AC flight I was on departed later than scheduled, but arrived earlier than scheduled.
I didn't know what to do with myself.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
A recent AC flight I was on departed later than scheduled, but arrived earlier than scheduled.
I didn't know what to do with myself.
I think AC is just giving themselves a lot more wiggle room with long block times. I have had the same thing happen a few times lately on flights that were like 30 minutes late leaving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.