Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

*A partner reward flight available but not as single leg only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A partner reward flight available but not as single leg only

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Sure, but I'm still booking both of the segments. I'm just asking AC to price it separately.

AC seems to sometimes arbitrarily break bounds into separate awards anyways, would think it's not impossible to price the segments individually while booking AAA-CCC.
To price it separately, they have to book it separately. Because the segments are married, they can't be booked separately.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
For example, AAA-BBB-CCC available, but not individually. BBB-CCC long haul J award right below distance band cut-off. AAA-BBB short hop only. Cheaper if booked as 2 separate awards.
Sure, but I'm still booking both of the segments. I'm just asking AC to price it separately.

AC seems to sometimes arbitrarily break bounds into separate awards anyways, would think it's not impossible to price the segments individually while booking AAA-CCC.
It would be easier to help if you shared more details, like your actual routing and airline(s) instead of the cryptic AAA-CCC.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If the airline doesn't want you to be able to book the segments separately, there's nothing AC can do about it. Married segments are all about profit and not about helping the consumer.
But when it comes to awards, it's up to the ticketing carrier to price the married segments, no? For example, LH can release a married CDG-FRA-LAX but at the end of the day it's Aeroplan that's going to price it. LH is getting paid for CDG-FRA-LAX regardless of whatever AC charges its member.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SilverChris
It would be easier to help if you shared more details, like your actual routing and airline(s) instead of the cryptic AAA-CCC.

But when it comes to awards, it's up to the ticketing carrier to price the married segments, no? For example, LH can release a married CDG-FRA-LAX but at the end of the day it's Aeroplan that's going to price it. LH is getting paid for CDG-FRA-LAX regardless of whatever AC charges its member.
And in that case, LH has released I space (i.e. "priced it") on CDG-FRA-LAX, but not CDG-FRA or FRA-LAX.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris

Don't actually have planned routing and airlines, just a generic question.
But I thought as you did, that it's up to AC to charge us however it wants, as long as AC is buying the married segments completely from LH.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
And in that case, LH has released I space (i.e. "priced it") on CDG-FRA-LAX, but not CDG-FRA or FRA-LAX.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
To price it separately, they have to book it separately. Because the segments are married, they can't be booked separately.
Fair enough, that's a valid point of view as well. Would have thought AC could book them together, but just charge members separately through possibly a manual process.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Fair enough, that's a valid point of view as well. Would have thought AC could book them together, but just charge members separately through possibly a manual process.
No, because then agents could just charge whatever they felt like. They could give discounts to whoever they wanted to, or make genuine miscalculations, forget a zero, etc. It's an absolute nightmare from a controls and audit perspective.

If the computer says the price is X, the price is X. If the computer gives the "wrong" result (e.g. your earlier comments about bounds), it's sometimes possible to feed it the information in different ways to generate the "right" result, but the system still has to set the price.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, because then agents could just charge whatever they felt like. They could give discounts to whoever they wanted to, or make genuine miscalculations, forget a zero, etc. It's an absolute nightmare from a controls and audit perspective.

If the computer says the price is X, the price is X. If the computer gives the "wrong" result (e.g. your earlier comments about bounds), it's sometimes possible to feed it the information in different ways to generate the "right" result, but the system still has to set the price.
Right, that makes sense. In an ideal world I suppose there could have been allowance for some sort of manual intervention, but given how things have been, you're likely right in that it'll be down to computer says "X"
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:23 am

Right, that makes sense. In an ideal world I suppose there could have been allowance for some sort of manual intervention, but given how things have been, you're likely right in that it'll be down to computer says "X"
It's possible to create a manual override, but who gets that authority, and what are the parameters for exercising it? It's almost something they wouldn't give to a front-line agent, so it's a supervisor or even someone a level up the chain, and there still need to be controls and audit to make sure it's not abused.

If they did have such a process, I doubt they would use it in your example anyway. You're essentially looking to exploit a loophole by classifying a connection as separate bounds. That's all well and good if you can get the computer to do it, which you sometimes can, but since the segments are married, you can't. Why would they go through the hassle of letting you price something as separate bounds if it can't be booked as such? You're just asking for a gift of 15K points or whatever, and I would expect them to tell you to pound sand.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.