Community
Wiki Posts
Search

qualifying for status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:06 am

I'd like to see the status segment numbers dropped as well. I managed to get SE last year from the good graces of AC when they gave it to me with 93,743 status miles and 134 segments.

All of my flights are domestic/transborder. I had a long period of Toronto Ottawa (2 segments per week) that prevented me from making SE status via miles (or segments).

This year I've had a lot of California trips so I'm going to hit 100,000 miles this weekend with 100 segments and requalify...

It would be nice to see a 100 to 110 SE qualifying segment range. Even at low fares, a domestic SE would have to spend about $15,000 ($300 x round trip = 2 segments). Reality tells us that this wouldn't be that easy to do anyway as without 2-3 weeks advance knowledge this would go up to more like $600-$700 per round trip or $30,000 in revenue...

Anyway, my $0.02 worth...

B
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:11 am

This thread of course touches on the complexity and 'unfairness' of FF programs like Aeorplan. Efforts to 'close loopholes' for those who plan their affairs for cheap, high-points accumulation travel, often backfire, inadvertently harming the traveller who really is not trying to 'work the system'. The airline tries to control 'abuse' but a few of us (found here at Flyertalk) have gotten quite good at working the rules to our benefit. I'm sure AC monitors this board but it also needs to look at the bigger picture -- clamping down on a few very cost efficient travelers is self-defeating if it burns up the loyalty program for the many who work according to its intended principals.
So, yes, I acheved elite status for two years by giving AC about $1800 in revenue (and UA about $1200) with carefully timed upgradable mileage runs to HKG and SIN, and I burn massive amounts of credit card points for otherwise way overpriced shorthaul flights like YOW-IAD (Y fare day trip $1800). But I am only one traveller. Laywers, government people, and others who are spending "other people's money" also use the same CRJ and they aren't going to care to work the system like myself. Tightening the rules, and making it harder for them to fly and get some points for their travels is just dumb business. Yeah, I get a good deal -- but few in the real world would rationally take two one-day asian trips for no reason other than to save on their air fares. (I'm sure not too many company presidents would instruct their employees to fly to Asia twice in two months with no business there, just to save their business some airline travel costs!)
In other words, the system may seem unfair, and yes, you can 'work it', to save bundles of money, but the system needs to be designed for the majority and AC's true revenue/loyalty management objectives, not to thwart or restrain the likes of myself and some of my peers here.

[This message has been edited by marbuck (edited 10-15-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Prestige:
Just a suggestion:
Keep the current Q miles at 18k, 35k and 100k (international flyers will still make status)
Reduce Q segments to 20, 40 and 110 (domestic travelers will have chance at status)

</font>
Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. AC is definately punishing the very frequent bread and butter fliers.
I fit in the group who make Elite from one or two long haul flights. Hardly seems fair to the 40 segment flier who cannot get lounge access.

Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:59 pm

What about the Via Rail Preference model?

Based mostly strictly on dollars spent during the membership year (April 1 - March 31, not calendar year) for the next membership year.

Everybody is level 1 when they join.

$1,000 (total) spent - requirement for level 2 (Privilege level).

$2,000 (total) spent - requirement for level 3 (Premier level).

For the top level (Premier), must also travel a minimum of 8 segments. But no segment requirement for the mid level.

Points are awarded as well and the points are based on dollars and other things. For example bonus points are awarded for booking online. Upper level members get more points for every dollar spent. The points are what are needed for reward travel.

The dollars and segments may be different for the airline model, but the concept would seem to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.