Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Usage of Multiple Gift Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Usage of Multiple Gift Cards

In the AC website, you can only use two forms of payment (up to two gift cards if they cover the full amount or one gift card with another form of payment to cover the remaining amount). In the past, when I want to use more than two gift cards, I was able to pay using my credit card first and then contact customer service subsequently and provide them with the multiple gift card numbers and they were able to reverse the charge on my credit card, while applying the balance using the gift cards manually behind the scene.

Does anyone know if this is still possible?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Another way around this if 2 gift cards will not cover the cost, is add to the balance on one of your gift cards using your CC. It has been confirmed you can do this here...
https://aircanada.buyatab.com/custom...ccessible=null

Ron.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by newfbc
Another way around this if 2 gift cards will not cover the cost, is add to the balance on one of your gift cards using your CC. It has been confirmed you can do this here...

Ron.
Brilliant
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc

Ron.
Thank you for the suggestion, I am aware of this being one path, which is good. I am looking at booking a return flight for two people that will cost over $3,000. I have multiple gift cards that can cover the whole amount but unfortunately each one is no more than $500 each. So I am hoping to find a way to use my gift cards to cover the whole fare, rather than dishing out another $2k+. Thanks!!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by altiguy
Thank you for the suggestion, I am aware of this being one path, which is good. I am looking at booking a return flight for two people that will cost over $3,000. I have multiple gift cards that can cover the whole amount but unfortunately each one is no more than $500 each. So I am hoping to find a way to use my gift cards to cover the whole fare, rather than dishing out another $2k+. Thanks!!
You can use multiple cards with a reservation agent over the phone.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Brilliant

What is the advantage of this?

Let say the each of 1 gift cards is $500 and second one is $250. Let us say the cost of the ticket is $ 750

So I pay the first $500 with the first gift card ; and load the $250 onto the first gift card, using my credit card?
So I have not gained anything, as my credit card was still charged the $250 balance anyways?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
What is the advantage of this?

Let say the each of 1 gift cards is $500 and second one is $250. Let us say the cost of the ticket is $ 750

So I pay the first $500 with the first gift card ; and load the $250 onto the first gift card, using my credit card?
So I have not gained anything, as my credit card was still charged the $250 balance anyways?
That's a ridiculous example. You'd just use the two gift cards.

The problem is when you have a $400 gift card, a $300 gift card, and the ticket is $750.

You add $50 from your credit card to one of the gift cards, and then you buy the ticket with the two gift cards, only adding $50 in cash.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's a ridiculous example. You'd just use the two gift cards.

The problem is when you have a $400 gift card, a $300 gift card, and the ticket is $750.

You add $50 from your credit card to one of the gift cards, and then you buy the ticket with the two gift cards, only adding $50 in cash.

Again, what is the advantage of this? If I use a Aeroplan co-branded credit card, would I not get more points by paying AC for the $50, rather than depositing $50 from the credit card to the gift card?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
Again, what is the advantage of this? If I use a Aeroplan co-branded credit card, would I not get more points by paying AC for the $50, rather than depositing $50 from the credit card to the gift card?
you can’t use three methods of payment. The cow example let’s you use two gift cards.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, you'd get a lot more points, because you'd either have a $350 or $450 charge to your credit card.
gadflyboy likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You can use multiple cards with a reservation agent over the phone.
I am assuming you meant multiple gift cards. Is it also possible to use multiple credit cards to split the cost of a ticket, by booking with an agent on the phone? And is there a fee for booking a ticket on the phone? I don't recall doing this recently, I always book online.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE, *Gold, Bonvoy Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), National Emerald Club Executive
I called in and learned something new. I wanted to make a booking for three family members on the same pnr and wanted to use three gift cards, an e-voucher, and cover the remainder with a credit card. The agent said I can use up to three payment methods per person on a booking, so it was no problem at all.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by plankton
I called in and learned something new. I wanted to make a booking for three family members on the same pnr and wanted to use three gift cards, an e-voucher, and cover the remainder with a credit card. The agent said I can use up to three payment methods per person on a booking, so it was no problem at all.
???

Pretty sure maximum forms of payment per booking is two, not three.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by YYC009
???

Pretty sure maximum forms of payment per booking is two, not three.
Online, two.
Agents, three.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, *Gold, Bonvoy Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), National Emerald Club Executive
To clarify, with an agent it’s three per person on the same pnr. So I could have had up to nine methods for my three person booking
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.