Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Partner availability in J

Question: Partner availability in J

Old May 23, 2022, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Partner availability in J

Seeking to book a DCA-YUL-YVR trip using United miles on AC metal. The first leg shows J availability but the second does not. This is for a trip in about 2 weeks. I can see from an AC search that there are open seats in J on that second leg, though not a ton (looks like 8 of the 32 J seats are selectable with the rest occupied). Can I expect them to be released for booking via United at some point?
Old May 23, 2022, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No. Every seat is bookable with Aeroplan points. Not through partners.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No. Every seat is bookable with Aeroplan points. Not through partners.
So only a portion are made available to partners and that portion does not increase as the flight date approaches?
Old May 24, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by whitesock
So only a portion are made available to partners
This is true of nearly every airline in every alliance, for example it absolutely applies to anyone trying to book United flights using Aeroplan miles.

that portion does not increase as the flight date approaches?
There's no single answer to this. Sometimes they'll open new partner award space if a flight is selling weakly, or if a route sells so well that new flights get added to it. Again, this is true for most airlines.

If there's a set policy driving that decision process, other than "revenue management determines on a case by case basis" it's not published to my knowledge.
​​​​​
whitesock and Adam1222 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Seeking to book a DCA-YUL-YVR trip using United miles on AC metal. The first leg shows J availability but the second does not. This is for a trip in about 2 weeks. I can see from an AC search that there are open seats in J on that second leg, though not a ton (looks like 8 of the 32 J seats are selectable with the rest occupied). Can I expect them to be released for booking via United at some point?
Unlikely. Just like United flights are not available to Arroplan redemptions
Old May 26, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Empty Seats

I just flew on AC33 YVR-SYD. This 777 had 16 empty seats in business. Who can explain this to make us feel better?
HSBC and Seat19k like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.