Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

any hope of aeroplan status extension for 2023?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Not holding my breath here, but has there been any word on whether AC will auto-extend aeroplan status through 2023 as they've done in the past two years? I realize travel is becoming more commonplace for some, but I for one am still not back to my regular international biz trip cadence which has earned me SE status the past few years (but expect it to be resuming in the next couple of months).
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I do not think they will extend. They may lower the criteria but I am just guessing, and hoping.
Or they will repeat the current promo of 2X the miles/dollars.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:28 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
I've been wondering the same thing. In my own case, the places that I fly to earn SE are simply not open to non-citizens and/or require lengthy quarantine. Even if it was easier to get in AC has suspended/been forced to suspend flights there so even if I could resume travel it wouldn't be on AC. So extending seems like the right thing to do. But I don't imagine AC will be parsing down to that level of detail when they make their decision.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given how easy it will be this year, with rollover of both miles and dollars, I cannot imagine that they would further extend.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:43 pm

Maybe, but maybe will have more promotion
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you qualified for 25K last year, everything rolled over.

Everything you earn in the first third of the year is doubled.

And we don't know what other promotions there will be.

No, I don't think they'll do a blanket extension.

And personally, I wish they'd stop with the promos too. At some point, if you haven't flown for 3 years, you should have to start over.

It was discussed last year, but even something like a new status tier recognizing "real" status, so that a qualified-SE has higher priority (for everything) than an extended-SE... that would make me happy. The same way that SM > SE. But having qualified in 2021 with no tangible benefit, I do not want another year where the ranks increase without people actually flying.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
Given how easy it will be this year, with rollover of both miles and dollars, I cannot imagine that they would further extend.
Rollover of miles / dollars from when? 2021? I may be in the minority here, but I had no business travel in 2021. This lack of travel has again extended into 2022 for the same reasons.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you qualified for 25K last year, everything rolled over.

Everything you earn in the first third of the year is doubled.

And we don't know what other promotions there will be.

No, I don't think they'll do a blanket extension.

And personally, I wish they'd stop with the promos too. At some point, if you haven't flown for 3 years, you should have to start over.

It was discussed last year, but even something like a new status tier recognizing "real" status, so that a qualified-SE has higher priority (for everything) than an extended-SE... that would make me happy. The same way that SM > SE. But having qualified in 2021 with no tangible benefit, I do not want another year where the ranks increase without people actually flying.
Yeah I do actually think that makes sense (a new status tier recognizing "real" status over an extended SE), and I'd be ok with that.

But without having status, I have much less incentive to exclusively book with AC. I'm literally half-way between YVR and SEA, so my SE status keeps my loyal to AC and keeps me driving north (vs. heading south to SEA and flying international every 6-8 weeks or so with Delta, United, etc).
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I live in Asia which has one of the strictest border entry rules for covid. If I could requalify for SE this year, I don't see how others cannot, especially folks living in Canada. Do have sympathy for SEs living in HKG and China though.
gcashin likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If Aeroplan is truly a loyalty program, or a frequent flier program, then it should ditch the distance qualification altogether and focus on segments alone. I have a LOT more respect for some poor sod commuting every week on narrowbodies and Q400s to earn 50k status than I have for someone who does three long hauls a year in J and gets the same thing. The former is much more of a frequent flier, and by virtue of their greater activity level, demonstrates a higher level of loyalty. That should be recognized accordingly, especially since their annual spend would probably be similar.

But back to the original discussion, I agree it's highly unlikely we'll see a blanket rollover.
cooleddie likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Symmetre
If Aeroplan is truly a loyalty program, or a frequent flier program, then it should ditch the distance qualification altogether and focus on segments alone.
Then they should ditch the segments qualification and go by pure spend alone.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Even with no further promotions, the number of SEs will be inflated until 2024.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Then they should ditch the segments qualification and go by pure spend alone.
If they did that then I believe the weekly commuter could very well come in higher than the occasional long-hauler, depending on routes, flight passes, etc.

That said, I wouldn't want to see segments removed from the equation. If the objective is to reward loyalty, then someone who makes 20 or 30 purchase decisions in favour of AC each year should be recognized ahead of someone who chooses to give them the business just three or four times.

Mods - sorry, didn't mean to steer this off topic.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Even with no further promotions, the number of SEs will be inflated until 2024.
That's my issue. We went from "you want status? fly" to "everyone gets 25K" and "it's not hard to get a one-level bump" and "double everything" and "you have two years to qualify for 2023 status".

2 years to qualify, and 4 months of that time counted double. Please no extension at all.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by supatight80
I live in Asia which has one of the strictest border entry rules for covid. If I could requalify for SE this year, I don't see how others cannot, especially folks living in Canada. Do have sympathy for SEs living in HKG and China though.
I usually do a lot of travel to Asia, which is still impossible - at least in terms of 5 countries/7 cities in 2 weeks.
China - no way. Taiwan - closed. Indonesia - basically closed. Korea - closed. Singapore. Thailand - starting to open, but still
testing requirements. So I am in the same boat as the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.