Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC document check - travel to Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

Officially, Portugal doesn't accept vax cards from the US or Canada, and as a result, either a negative PCR or antigen test is required for transit or entry. The guidance from Sherpa, which I believe AC relies on, appears below:

Most travelers from United States (see 178 additional countries) must have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (or similar NAAT) test result. The test must be taken a maximum of 72 hours before the first departure to Portugal. Alternatively, travelers may present a laboratory antigen test (TRAg) taken a maximum of 24 hours before departure to Portugal. Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel. The results must be in Portuguese, French, English, Spanish, or Italian and may be presented in paper or digital format. Self-tests are not accepted. This testing requirement includes travelers in transit.
bolding mine

Would anyone have anecdotal experience with AC accepting proctored antigen tests, such as Abbott Binax now or similar, to satisfy the testing requirement? Some of these test providers market themselves as laboratory tests acceptable by countries who require antigen tests.

While we'd prefer to get the PCR tests given the longer 72 hour window, members of our party have had Covid recently, and may still test positive on the PCR tests at the time of travel. So, we're exploring our options for the antigen tests, which aren't as readily available at laboratories near us.

Having anecdotal information on how AC is applying these rules would be helpful, since we're flying AC, they are the gatekeeper for us to get to Portugal.

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
How one agent, at one airport, does doc checks is often completely different. The best you can do is have a copy of the exact rules to help run through the rules if an agent pushes back. A wise man once said "60 percent of the time, it works every time". (movie reference)
​​​​​​

The EU Common approved RAT, updated Feb 22, lists only the ones approved. Abbott Binax now is not on it. The only test from Abbott is Abbott Rapid Diagnostics Panbio™ COVID-19 Ag
Rapid Test. (which is a point of care/provider test). So until you have test that is on the approved EU list, second failure ( supervised/video proctored at home vs lab test) is a moot point

The official Portugal entry requirements say the same. Antigen from a lab, and using a test from the EU list.

​​​​​​I was surprised to see they only accept proof of recovery within the past 180 days if you are from one of short list of reciprocal countries. US and Canada are notably absent from that list.

In another thread, AC has even denied boarding at a connection point for correct docs on a technicality (no separate lab certificate).

Home tests complicate things greatly, especially if the report says home, video, proctored, or supervised. The only test AC has tried to deny me boarding to the US with in error last week, ironically, are the AC sponsored NAAT Cue at home tests.
work2fly and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 3, 2022 at 12:00 pm
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you're flying out of SFO (based on your profile), not a chance.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you're flying out of SFO (based on your profile), not a chance.
Thank you.

Unfortunately the only antigen testing site suggested by AC is in FLL, and none of the SFO airport based testing facilities appear to offer antigen tests, so we're stuck with finding a lab ourselves and determining if the lab uses an approved test.

I guess we should do trial PCR tests 10 days or so before travel, and if they are all negative, perhaps we can reasonably assume they'll also be negative again within the requisite 72 hour window. Plenty of PCR testing sites nearby, including SFO.

We'll also work on a backup antigen test plan, and hope Portugal begins to accept CDC vax cards before we travel.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by work2fly
we're stuck with finding a lab ourselves and determining if the lab uses an approved test.
Pretty much any Walgreens or CVS pharmacy should offer them, though I can't guarantee they're accepted by Portugal.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thank you.

Unfortunately the only antigen testing site suggested by AC is in FLL, and none of the SFO airport based testing facilities appear to offer antigen tests, so we're stuck with finding a lab ourselves and determining if the lab uses an approved test.

I guess we should do trial PCR tests 10 days or so before travel, and if they are all negative, perhaps we can reasonably assume they'll also be negative again within the requisite 72 hour window. Plenty of PCR testing sites nearby, including SFO.

We'll also work on a backup antigen test plan, and hope Portugal begins to accept CDC vax cards before we travel.
The row right beside AC's check-in at SFO does rapid PCR, NAAT, and antigen.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:53 pm

Hi
Flying from Toronto to Spain via Lisbon
Will they accept the RAT done at Shoppers?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 7:48 am

I guess we should do trial PCR tests 10 days or so before travel, and if they are all negative, perhaps we can reasonably assume they'll also be negative again within the requisite 72 hour window.
It is quite unlikely that with the test that matters >10 days out you’ll still get a positive with a PCR test. When did symptoms subside?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy
It is quite unlikely that with the test that matters >10 days out you’ll still get a positive with a PCR test. When did symptoms subside?
Thank you.

For the child who tested positive, there have been no symptoms for 2+ weeks, and they started testing negative on the antigen tests 10 days ago. For the adult, it's complicated, as she's been testing negative on multiple antigen tests over the past 10 days also, but she has also developed cold or allergy symptoms within the past few days. Still testing negative on the antigen tests though.

Given the PCR tests are readily available and free, we might as well just start doing them on a trial basis and keep the antigen testing as a backup.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Since this doesn't really have anything to do with AC, I'm going to close this thread and ask that those interested in the topic consult the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar forum, which has several threads on Portugal's entry requirements and which types of tests are acceptable.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old May 2, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: SE 100K
YUL - LIS; valid docs?

*mods please move if deemed more appropriate in the non-AC forum.

Flying YVR - YUL - LIS next week on AC. Fully vaccinated.
I have reviewed Portuguese entry requirements as outlined here - https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal
Odd / inconvenient that Canada is not listed as accepted in the "Accepted Vaccination Certificates" list.

I have heard / read DP's that AC staff have been inconsistent / variable in what documents they are checking / accepting.
Also read in another FT thread about obtaining the Panama Vax Certificate and using that as proof or converting to an EU certificate. I have done that as well.
Anyone have recent experience with AC into Portugal and can comment?

Mostly concerned an AC agent will deny boarding if I try to use a Panama Vax Cert or EU certificate and state I need a pre-departure test.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Probably would be safest just to get a PCR test 72h before or antigen test 24h before your flight in case they don’t accept it.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Since this doesn't really have anything to do with AC, I'm going to close this thread and ask that those interested in the topic consult the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar forum, which has several threads on Portugal's entry requirements and which types of tests are acceptable.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.