Search

Flight Pass - No Tax line

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Flight Pass - No Tax line

Hi all,

I just bought a 6 pack latitude Europe + North Africa -> Western Canada flight pass.

I noticed it did not have a tax line with a breakdown for taxes paid. All my other ones I've bought (business packs) have all had tax lines on them. I have bought personal (1 traveler ones) in the past but don't think I ever noticed and can't seem to find them anymore.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Perhaps this is the way its supposed to work and there is something that I'm missing?

Will make it difficult for accounting to handle as there's no tax line to get the GST back on for my company...
sokolov likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:50 pm

I've noticed it. I believe the taxes are shown when you redeem the coupon. The taxes will vary depending on your route.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
If you go to the book / manage page for your flight pass there is a link under options to view and print flight credit value statement. I looked at mine and it shows credit value, tax amount and grand total. Also on the tickets it should show tax. For my flights the tax amount was just the GST amount.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
My Unlimited Flight Pass shows GST on my email receipt for the December 2021 billing--I presume nothing has changed there.

For non-unlimited flight passes, as folkart says, the credit value statement once you book/fly will be sufficient for each credit used.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the responses!

Just checked mine and it shows a flight credit value of $1568.00 and 0.00 under tax value...

:O
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
There is no GST or HST on international flights so there was none to charge you.
Adam Smith, folkart and The Lev like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, no taxes on international flights ( other than trans-border)
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Huh, no taxes on international flights...?

Maybe this is it - but surprising fact!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Erome
Huh, no taxes on international flights...?

Maybe this is it - but surprising fact!
To clarify, no Value Added Taxes such as GST and HST. Other taxes and fees still apply, like Airport Improvement Fee, Security Fees, Immigration Fees etc. On credit-based flight passes these are calculated when you book your flight and are deducted from the credit value. The net amount is the 'fare', which is what you would get for SQD as well.
Adam Smith and vancouver25k like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:41 pm

Wouldn't there be GST or HST charged on certain elements like Canadian Airport Improvement Fees even on international tickets?

I know they are charged on tickets to/from the US.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sokolov
Wouldn't there be GST or HST charged on certain elements like Canadian Airport Improvement Fees even on international tickets?

I know they are charged on tickets to/from the US.
GST/HST are not charged on international tickets (i.e. not including the US), period, full stop. Go price one out on the AC website, or any other carrier's website, and you'll see.

AIFs and other airport taxes/fees (US Agriculture, ATSC, etc) are included in the price of international FPs, like every other FP. There's no separate line item for it, it just gets deducted from the credit value when they calculate your SQD. Whether AC has any special arrangement with airport authorities for what they actually pay on FP bookings, who knows.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
GST/HST are not charged on international tickets (i.e. not including the US), period, full stop. Go price one out on the AC website, or any other carrier's website, and you'll see.
Actually, GST/HST is charged on certain fare components on int'l bookings (AIFs and/or security processing fee). All my TATL tickets tend to show a total GST/HST amount in the $1-$4 range. But the amount is obviously negligible.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I just did, and I see that you are misinformed.

I priced out a oneway from YYZ to VIE, Air Canada, August 4:
Price Breakdown
For 1 adult
Flights
Air transportation charges
Departing flight - Adult
$749.00
Carrier surcharges - Canada
$337.50
Taxes, fees and charges
Harmonized Sales Tax - Canada - 100092287 RT0001
$3.90
Airport Improvement Fee - Canada
$30.00
Air Travellers Security Charge - Canada
$25.91
GRAND TOTAL - Canadian dollars
$1146.31$1146.31
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sokolov
I just did, and I see that you are misinformed.

I priced out a oneway from YYZ to VIE, Air Canada, August 4:
Price Breakdown
For 1 adult
Flights
Air transportation charges
Departing flight - Adult
$749.00
Carrier surcharges - Canada
$337.50
Taxes, fees and charges
Harmonized Sales Tax - Canada - 100092287 RT0001
$3.90
Airport Improvement Fee - Canada
$30.00
Air Travellers Security Charge - Canada
$25.91
GRAND TOTAL - Canadian dollars
$1146.31$1146.31
Or read the post literally right above yours and you'll see it's charged on the AIF, but not the fare.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Or read the post literally right above yours and you'll see it's charged on the AIF, but not the fare.
I already posted that myself farther above (see post #10 in this thread). Then Adam Smith responded that there is no GST/HST "period, full stop". Well, there is. Just as I said.

So I would like to find documentation for this, because then it is free money for my business. Granted, not a lot (maxes out just over $7, I think), but why waste it.

Last edited by sokolov; Mar 10, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.