Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan flight award cancellation fee for future trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Would like to get any feedback on this type of situation. I noticed that Eva air has award availability LAX-TPE-SIN later in the year. I have enough Aeroplan Points to book the flight. As of now Taiwan is still closed to USA citizens even if they are just transiting through the airport. If this remains the case by the time of my trip am I able to cancel my aeroplan flight award without paying a cancellation fee? I know aeroplan recently changed their rules where they will now charge you for flight cancellations as in the past they allowed free cancellations anytime.

I just want to know if I book it now and if Taiwan remains closed by the time of the trip I won't have to pay a cancellation fee to get my points back.

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You could book a flexible ticket instead.

But no, your inability to travel (same as visa issues, etc.) is not grounds for a free refund.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

ok thank you for that. yes the flexible ticket is another option. Would this scenario work. Would I be able to buy travel insurance for just the cancellation fee part of the trip. So in my case I would have two travelers so for a roundtrip it would be $150 cancellation fee per ticket so $600 to get my points redeposited. I would get a cancel for any reason travel insurance policy and get 75% of that fee back. So I would get $450 back. The policies cost about $111 for two travelers. Factoring that in I still come out ahead $339. So I would have only paid $261 to cancel or $130 a person which isn't too bad.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by ianj51490
Would I be able to buy travel insurance for just the cancellation fee part of the trip.
That is a question for your prospective insurance provider. Each policy has different terms for methods of payments, reasons for cancellation and calculations of payment.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Depending on what "later in the year" means, another option is to just book it, wait for the inevitable schedule change, and don't deal with it.

Then when you know if you're going or not, you either resolve the schedule change, or say "this doesn't work for me" and get a free refund.

Of course there's a chance there won't be a substantial schedule change, but if the flight's more than a few months out, I'd bet on it.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Planned for end of august. That’s a good idea thank you.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:20 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
I have just booked two aeroplan reward tickets from Vancouver to Victoria for 12200 miles total and $25 in fees. I am now reading that there would be a $150 cancellation fee if I were to cancel these tickets. I am still within the initial 24 hours so I could cancel without a charge. If I decide to keep the tickets and I need to cancel closer to the time, am I best to just let the ticket expire (ie not show up for the flight and lose the points and the $25) or cancel. Will they really charge me $150 for this cancellation? Thanks in advance for giving me some advice. This ticket would be directly following a revenue transatlantic ticket from Paris to Frankfurt to Vancouver. This routing won't let me add Victoria when booking online.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by hastuk
I have just booked two aeroplan reward tickets from Vancouver to Victoria for 12200 miles total and $25 in fees. I am now reading that there would be a $150 cancellation fee if I were to cancel these tickets. I am still within the initial 24 hours so I could cancel without a charge. If I decide to keep the tickets and I need to cancel closer to the time, am I best to just let the ticket expire (ie not show up for the flight and lose the points and the $25) or cancel. Will they really charge me $150 for this cancellation? Thanks in advance for giving me some advice. This ticket would be directly following a revenue transatlantic ticket from Paris to Frankfurt to Vancouver. This routing won't let me add Victoria when booking online.
Not sure when you booked the revenue ticket but if also within the 24 hours (or flexible) worth calling an agent and see if you can get the actual flights you want on one itinerary and not use points. Unless you actually want a stopover in YVR there is a risk of misconnection in both directions at your expense if things go wrong.

Regarding your other question, if you are unable to use a schedule change to cancel for free, the value of paying the cancellation fee really depends on how much you value the points. For a low point redemption as you’ve noted the high price may make better to just lose the points and in theory you can get the taxes portion back if you don’t actually fly.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Not sure when you booked the revenue ticket but if also within the 24 hours (or flexible) worth calling an agent and see if you can get the actual flights you want on one itinerary and not use points. Unless you actually want a stopover in YVR there is a risk of misconnection in both directions at your expense if things go wrong.

Regarding your other question, if you are unable to use a schedule change to cancel for free, the value of paying the cancellation fee really depends on how much you value the points. For a low point redemption as you’ve noted the high price may make better to just lose the points and in theory you can get the taxes portion back if you don’t actually fly.
Thanks for your quick response. The revenue ticket is not yet booked so I will try to get the Victoria portion added on. It was sort of by accident that the points ticket was booked. I clicked to what I thought would be a place to put in the credit card number but it went straight through. I have about 8 hours left to cancel that ticket. Will try calling AC to get the international flight done properly. Thanks again! Very helpful.
yyzgigi likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by hastuk
Thanks for your quick response. The revenue ticket is not yet booked so I will try to get the Victoria portion added on. It was sort of by accident that the points ticket was booked. I clicked to what I thought would be a place to put in the credit card number but it went straight through. I have about 8 hours left to cancel that ticket. Will try calling AC to get the international flight done properly. Thanks again! Very helpful.
Originally Posted by yyzgigi

I have managed to get our international revenue booking done by calling AC as you suggested. They were able to add the Victoria segment for about $75 more each. Although that is more than the Aeroplan cost, it is much simpler having it as all one booking (luggage and cancellation). I then promptly cancelled the Aeroplan booking which was within the 24 hours. Thanks again for your suggestions. All is good.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:24 pm

I redeemed Economic standard reward round trip ticket. After I finished my outbound trip, can I cancel my inbound ticket by paying $150? And get my Aeroplan points back for the inbound ticket?
Or can I change my inbound ticket after finish my outbound trip?
Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I cant seem to determine this from the airline's website, but if you cancel a mileage trip and pay the $150-175 cancelation fee, do you also receive the Aeroplan points back? or are those forfeited?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I cant seem to determine this from the airline's website, but if you cancel a mileage trip and pay the $150-175 cancelation fee, do you also receive the Aeroplan points back? or are those forfeited?
All the points will be returned to your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.