FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2067362-accelerate-your-way-status-2023-2022-promo-see-wiki-if-promo-not-posted.html)

TOR27 Feb 1, 2022 9:25 am

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

New offer posted on Rewards Canada this morning, great opportunity to get a head start on status for 2023.

Part 1: Members can get a one-time bonus of 5,000 SQM, 5 SQS, and $500 SQD when they do any three of the following by April 30, 2022:
  • Link their Aeroplan and Starbucks Rewards;
  • Link their Uber or Uber Eats with your Aeroplan account;
  • Earn points with the Aeroplan eStore, LCBO, Starbucks, Uber, Uber Eats or a car or hotel booking;
  • Redeem points for any merchandise or gift card at the Aeroplan eStore or for a car or hotel booking;
  • Hold a Core or Premium Aeroplan Co-brand credit card through at least April 30, 2022. The entry level credit cards from TD and CIBC are ineligible, however the new U.S. Chase co-brand credit card does qualify
Part 2: All Aeroplan Members can get 100% bonus SQM, SQS, and SQD on Air Canada-operated flights (including Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge) in Economy Standard fare or higher when members book with cash. (This applies for any travel between January 1 and April 30, 2022, regardless of when the reservation was made. No registration is required.)

Part 3: All Aeroplan Members can get up to 5,000 bonus SQM and 50% bonus SQD when you purchase an Air Canada Vacations package. (Travel must be completed by April 30, 2022 and is retroactive to January 1)

Rewards Canada Post: https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2022/0...-your-way.html
AC Promo Page: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ication.html#/

Moderator note: For those looking for information on basics of the Starbucks and Uber partnerships, such as how to link accounts, issues linking accounts, etc, please note that each of those partnerships has its own thread that would be a more suitable place to post about those things.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator

TechnoTourist Feb 1, 2022 9:45 am

Key note for part 1 is that if you have already linked your cards or currently hold a CC no action is required provided you keep the card or link until April 30th

Adam Smith Feb 1, 2022 10:12 am

Nice promo. I imagine it should be pretty easy for most of us to earn the Part 1 offer, and Part 2 could add some nice value.

UFP SQx are excluded from Part 2, but regular FP bookings aren't, so seems like those should qualify? Would be nice to know whether these qualified for LQM. Probably not, but it wouldn't be the first time.

ride red Feb 1, 2022 10:17 am

For offer A, what if we've already linked Starbucks and Uber eats? Does that count? Or can we relink? If not, the third activity would have to be redeeming points for a hotel or car rental, which is a terrible value.

Adam Smith Feb 1, 2022 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ride red (Post 33954463)
For offer A, what if we've already linked Starbucks and Uber eats? Does that count?

Yes, as is clearly detailed on the AC page and in the Rewards Canada article.

You may already be eligible for this offer. For activities requiring linked accounts, you will be eligible if the account in question remains linked until the offer end date. You will be eligible for the credit card activity provided you hold an eligible credit card and it remains in good standing until the offer end date.

TheCanuckian Feb 1, 2022 10:20 am

I suppose this proves that AC plans to continue to offer ways of earning SQD in ways other than flying (even if in this case it’s a relatively small amount).

ChrisA330 Feb 1, 2022 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 33954469)
Yes, as is clearly detailed on the AC page and in the Rewards Canada article.

As well as clearly detailed in Post #2.

yyckiwi Feb 1, 2022 10:54 am

In Part 2, it says "...when members book with cash." I presume that a credit card falls under this? Would an Air Canada travel voucher from a cancelled flight come under cash?

canadiancow Feb 1, 2022 10:57 am

Rather than not reading the 8 posts or the terms and asking a question, I decided to just do my own research for the question I had.

For the double SQx:

Please allow 6-8 weeks for Bonus SQM, SQS and SQD to be credited in your account, following your Eligible Scheduled Flight departure.

jasdou Feb 1, 2022 11:12 am

Originally Posted by yyckiwi (Post 33954577)
In Part 2, it says "...when members book with cash." I presume that a credit card falls under this? Would an Air Canada travel voucher from a cancelled flight come under cash?

This is most likely to differentiate revenue bookings and points bookings. As long as it’s not a flight reward, it should count. Hopefully.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...461cf10c4.jpeg

ffsim Feb 1, 2022 11:33 am

Nice promo… feels like AC wants to start shifting away from another blanket status extension. Kind of like “here, we’ll help make earning status easier for 2023, but we’re done with the freebies.”

Bohemian1 Feb 1, 2022 11:41 am

It's not clear to me that Part 2 requires a booking to be purchased during the promo period (January 1, 2022 at 00:01 EST and April 30, 2022 at 23:59 EST), only that the trip is flown within the promo period. So existing rez are fine?

The Terms and Conditions on AC.com don't seem to say anything different, but maybe I'm reading this wrong.

painintheuk Feb 1, 2022 11:47 am

Very nice promo! I almost never use Uber, but I'll link my account and that should be it for Offer A. Pretty easy 5k SQM! Got a card and will visit LCBO this week.

ffsim Feb 1, 2022 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 33954713)
It's not clear to me that Part 2 requires a booking to be purchased during the promo period (January 1, 2022 at 00:01 EST and April 30, 2022 at 23:59 EST), only that the trip is flown within the promo period. So existing rez are fine?

The Terms and Conditions on AC.com don't seem to say anything different, but maybe I'm reading this wrong.

My reading is that yes, existing reservations are fine — as long as the flights are flown within the promo period and the other criteria are satisfied.

painintheuk Feb 1, 2022 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 33954713)

I read it as flown as well.

From the T&C: "Travel must take place within the following travel period: between January 1, 2022 at 00:01 EST and April 30, 2022 at 23:59 EST."

ChrisA330 Feb 1, 2022 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 33954638)
This is most likely to differentiate revenue bookings and points bookings. As long as it’s not a flight reward, it should count. Hopefully.

As usual, it's not completely clear. Reward tickets are explicitly excluded in the T&Cs...my interpretation on this was 'cash is king', travel vouchers don't count.

TechnoTourist Feb 1, 2022 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 33954766)
As usual, it's not completely clear. Reward tickets are explicitly excluded in the T&Cs...my interpretation on this was 'cash is king', travel vouchers don't count.

That would be strange given that vouchers and gift cards count for SQx just like other forms of 'cash' payment. Do they make a that distinction anywhere else?

canadiancow Feb 1, 2022 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 33954766)

My interpretation is any paid ticket flown during this period, regardless of how or when it was booked, would earn double SQx.

They know PNR creation date, which (in past promotions) has caused problems when you cancel a booking and then book something new with it months later. But other than that, a paid booking is a paid booking.

ChrisA330 Feb 1, 2022 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 33954769)
That would be strange given that vouchers and gift cards count for SQx just like other forms of 'cash' payment. Do they make a that distinction anywhere else?

I don't disagree, I'm just providing my opinion. It's an odd addition to the T&Cs hence my suspicion. They don't say you need to book with cash to earn SQx in general, so why would they make that distinction now?

If it was just reward tickets that didn't count, they could have just said that any ticket that earns SQx is eligible, with no need to explicitly call out cash.

IMO.

canadiancow Feb 1, 2022 12:36 pm

It likely just means "Cash" as a reference to one of the two options to book on AC.com ("Points" being the other), as jasdou mentioned.

asovse1 Feb 1, 2022 12:46 pm

This is the first time I've seen text on aircanada.com refer to the Aeroplan co-branded card families by name, "Core" and "Premium". Previously I've only ever heard it from bloggers or on the Zoom call with the execs.

TechnoTourist Feb 1, 2022 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1 (Post 33954891)
This is the first time I've seen text on aircanada.com refer to the Aeroplan co-branded card families by name, "Core" and "Premium". Previously I've only ever heard it from bloggers or on the Zoom call with the execs.

Not sure about Core, but last year's status bump promo said:

As a current Aeroplan Premium Cardholder...

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...s/offer.html#/

24left Feb 1, 2022 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1 (Post 33954891)

On Aeroplan's page for each card

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e5757190df.png

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bb5c26d3c1.png

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6133174e19.png
/

Symmetre Feb 1, 2022 1:50 pm

Trying to book a short ski trip to Whistler on ACV ... even if I select J right from the outset, it consistently wants to book me into a late afternoon flight in Y. Tried clearing cache, changing dates, nothing works. Is there a secret to this?

Have not used ACV previously ... irritating experience so far.

Tax Dude Feb 1, 2022 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 33954447)
Nice promo. I imagine it should be pretty easy for most of us to earn the Part 1 offer, and Part 2 could add some nice value.

Agree. No registration, and it looks like it includes 2022 travel already completed. Very unusual for AC!

yyckerr Feb 1, 2022 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude (Post 33955342)
Agree. No registration, and it looks like it includes 2022 travel already completed. Very unusual for AC!

Start the car!!!

painintheuk Feb 1, 2022 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude (Post 33955342)

Agreed. They could have started Feb 1, which might have made more sense I'll get an extra 3k SQM so no complaints!

canadiancow Feb 1, 2022 3:45 pm

Okay so here's an interesting term:

To qualify for this Offer B, the Eligible Participant’s Aeroplan Number must be included on their booking prior to departure. To do so, visit Manage My Bookingson aircanada.com, or select the option during check-in.
So I guess you can't withhold it for later crediting? But then what happens if my number is on, but it doesn't post?

Also, what is "100% bonus SQM"? If I fly a 1000 mile route in Latitude, do I earn 2250 SQM or 2500 SQM? Elite bonus Aeroplan miles are only ever on the base, and they certainly phrase that as "100%".

Tax Dude Feb 1, 2022 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 33955398)
Also, what is "100% bonus SQM"? If I fly a 1000 mile route in Latitude, do I earn 2250 SQM or 2500 SQM? Elite bonus Aeroplan miles are only ever on the base, and they certainly phrase that as "100%".

The T&Cs imply 2500. I think their intent is to double the SQx you'd normally earn. Here's the fine print:
  • The number of Bonus SQM/SQS/SQD will depend on the fare option, booking class and distance travelled for each individual Eligible Scheduled Flight flown. Learn more about how to earn on Air Canada flights.

kalderlake Feb 1, 2022 4:22 pm

Do limited flight passes earn SQS/SQD/SQM?

Eg. The ten credit BC Commuter.

I've never purchased one, and I can't find the answers on AC's site.

And if so, would those SQxs qualify for this promotion?

canadiancow Feb 1, 2022 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude (Post 33955435)
The T&Cs imply 2500. I think their intent is to double the SQx you'd normally earn. Here's the fine print:
  • The number of Bonus SQM/SQS/SQD will depend on the fare option, booking class and distance travelled for each individual Eligible Scheduled Flight flown. Learn more about how to earn on Air Canada flights.

But how is that different? The 100% SE bonus will depend on the fare option, booking class, and distance travelled too. If you book domestic Standard, the 100% bonus is 25% of the distance. If you book Flex, it's 100%. If you book Latitude, it's 100%, not 125%.

If they wanted it to mean "double", they could say "double". But they said "100% bonus".

If you fly 1000 miles in Latitude, the base is 100%, and there's a 25% bonus, for a total of 1250. Based on existing Aeroplan bonuses, another 100% bonus would bring that to 225%, not 250%.

Duff76 Feb 1, 2022 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 33955522)
But how is that different? The 100% SE bonus will depend on the fare option, booking class, and distance travelled too. If you book domestic Standard, the 100% bonus is 25% of the distance. If you book Flex, it's 100%. If you book Latitude, it's 100%, not 125%.

If they wanted it to mean "double", they could say "double". But they said "100% bonus".

If you fly 1000 miles in Latitude, the base is 100%, and there's a 25% bonus, for a total of 1250. Based on existing Aeroplan bonuses, another 100% bonus would bring that to 225%, not 250%.

I don’t think it is clear, but they could have said “100% of base miles”, or something similar, if that is what they meant. I don’t think that is what is meant.

100% bonus can also be interpreted as 100% of what you received, including fare class.

canadiancow Feb 1, 2022 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Duff76 (Post 33955579)
I don’t think it is clear, but they could have said “100% of base miles”, or something similar, if that is what they meant. I don’t think that is what is meant.

100% bonus can also be interpreted as 100% of what you received, including fare class.

It can definitely be interpreted that way, but the elite bonus says:

Choose this Select Benefit and earn bonus Aeroplan points on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada Rouge, Copa Airlines and United.
So we have precedent for what a 100% bonus means.

I, too, would like it to mean "double". But I'm definitely assuming it's a 100% bonus on the base.

YXXFlyer Feb 1, 2022 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kalderlake (Post 33955500)
Do limited flight passes earn SQS/SQD/SQM?

Eg. The ten credit BC Commuter.

I've never purchased one, and I can't find the answers on AC's site.

And if so, would those SQxs qualify for this promotion?

They do earn SQS/SQD/SQM. When you click through on the pass details it will say how much. The SQD varies depending on the airport taxes and thus will always be less than the purchase price per credit.
As to whether they qualify, the consensus seems to be "they should". I have not seen the bonus posted yet for travel done on Flex FP Jan 24/25. T&C say 6 weeks so may have to report back in quite a while.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...78baa0f37f.png

folkart Feb 1, 2022 5:14 pm

How about flight passes?

I would like to assume that the promotion would apply to my last and future flight pass flights. Anyone have clarity on that? It makes sense that Cash booking means any non reward booking but that's not really clear.

BlondeBomber Feb 1, 2022 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by folkart (Post 33955651)
I would like to assume that the promotion would apply to my last and future flight pass flights. Anyone have clarity on that? It makes sense that Cash booking means any non reward booking but that's not really clear.

I would think that based on past history:tu:, all non-unlimited flight passes would count. My unlimited flight passes have never counted for these promos but individual flights on all other flight passes have counted towards such promotions.

and reading the detailed terms:

"Economy Basic fares, Unlimited Flight Pass purchases, and Aeroplan flight rewards are not eligible for this Offer B, including Points + Cash reservations."

indicates to me that flight pass flights other than unlimited should be AOK.

"All Eligible Activities must be completed during the Offer Period, with the exception of linking of Starbucks® Rewards, Uber and Uber Eats accounts and opening/holding a Primary Eligible Core or Premium Aeroplan credit card, which may be completed prior to the Offer Period, provided that such Eligible Activities are maintained until the end of the Offer Period."

That was the easiest (and cheapest) $500 SQD and 5000 SQM I have ever earned!:D

Tax Dude Feb 1, 2022 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 3395559)

I, too, would like it to mean "double". But I'm definitely assuming it's a 100% bonus on the base.

I’m still predicting double, just seems more likely to be what they intended - we’ll know in 6-8 weeks!

Aselwyn Feb 1, 2022 5:45 pm

wow a promo i don't even need to do anything to complete for part 1 and part 2 think i will move a planned may trip into April and get the extra SQx while we are at it :)

24left Feb 1, 2022 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 33955705)
.....That was the easiest (and cheapest) $500 SQD and 5000 SQM I have ever earned!:D

Originally Posted by Aselwyn (Post 33955727)
wow a promo i don't even need to do anything to complete for part 1 and part 2 think i will move a planned may trip into April and get the extra SQx while we are at it :)

Love your enthusiasm. Especially during ❄️❄️❄️ season. :D

Flynn58 Feb 1, 2022 7:47 pm

One thing most people haven't noted here is that Offer 1 is only eligible to those who hold at least Aeroplan 25K status by the end of the offer period. Check the Terms and Conditions:

• Eligible Participants for Offer A are all Aeroplan Members in good standing who hold Aeroplan Elite Status (25K, 35K, 50K, 75K or Super Elite) at the end of the Offer Period.

So if you're like me and you thought you were about to get more SQM and SQD to get closer to 25K, it looks like we aren't eligible for Offer A.