Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yowcat
Q: What is a Worldwide Companion Pass (WCP) and how do I get one?

A: Eligible Aeroplan Card Holders receive a WCP annually based on reaching a minimum spend on the applicable credit card.

Q: What can I do with a WCP?

A: When the cardholder, through their Aeroplan account, books a cash Economy ticket through ac.com the cardholder can book a second companion passenger for a flat fee plus applicable taxes with the same fare type.

The pass will be offered as an option when searching an itinerary for 2 (or more) passengers. Premium economy is not included, but Latitude fares are (which potentially can be upgraded at booking, if space is available). The flat fee as of Jan 2023 ranges from $99 to $599 + Applicable taxes and is based on the destination zone you fly to (DOM/TB, Sun Destinations, South America/Middle East/Europe/Africa and Asia/Oceanic).

The current fixed costs can be found here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...nion-pass.html

Q: Is there an issue with multiple forms of payment and the Buddy Pass?

It is reported that the reservation system needs to internally use one of the payment slots allowed on a ticket to credit the cost. So you can only use one form of payment to pay for the pass.

Q: Can I use it on any flight?

A: No.

In addition to what was mentioned above, the flight must be marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand. And bookings must be made directly with Air Canada, via aircanada.com, the Air Canada Mobile App (no longer works as of August 2023), or through the Air Canada call centre. Complete Terms and Conditions are on the AC web page referenced above.

Q: So it is the same as the Buddy Pass?

A: The Buddy Pass is very similar but comes from a sign up bonus generally.

Q: Can I use a WCP from my account and not be one of the PAX?

A: No. You must be one of the ticketed PAX. Some have reported being able to work around this but you risk your ticket being voided or similar.

Q: Can I book more than two people on the same booking?

A: Yes; however, the WCP will only apply to one companion. The remaining companions will pay normal fare.

Q: What happens if I need to make changes or cancel to just one of the PAX?

A: Per the T+C’s “Changes and cancellations must be made at the same time for both guests, and failure to do so may result in a forfeit of the Companion Pass." Changes may need to be made by phoning in. To do this, use the general AC number (not the SE or E&% lines etc) and select option (?6, IIRC) which connects you directly to the "specialty/companion desk" for changes to be made.

Q: Do both PAX using a WCP receive SQM? What about SQD?

A: SQM/S is credited for each passenger according to the accrual rules of the fare booked.
SQD is as per usual for the primary passenger, and is the flat WCP fare plus YQ for the companion.

Q: If I spend $25k before my anniversary date, will I get a new WCP soon after meeting the spend?

A: No. You need to wait for your anniversary date to receive your new pass.

Print Wikipost

Worldwide Companion Pass

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by FreddyBe
I used the "buddy pass" (the first-year, free version of what in future years is the "companion" pass on the TD Infinite Privilege Visa) for a recent trip to Hawaii, booked in Latitude B class. I got the SQM, SQS, SQD, as expected.

My "buddy" did not. Here's what I got when I filed a claim for the missing miles:

Your request for missing points was not approved.

The fare of this flight is not eligible for Aeroplan point accumulation with this airline partner. For more details on how to earn points with this partner, please visit aircanada.com/aeroplanpartners.

FWIW, there was no "partner". This was a for segment one YOW-YYZ (got the same message the other segments, YYZ-HNL, and return.)

Bummer. Seems to directly contradict the T&Cs:

"Companions who are members of Aeroplan or other partner frequent flyer programs are eligible to accumulate points and/or miles for the ticket issued in exchange for the Companion Pass according to conditions of the fare brand purchased." https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-pass.html#/
Self-correction. I see there are different T&Cs for buddy passes versus companion passes. No points for buddies:

"Companions who are members of the Aeroplan program or other partner frequent flyer programs will not be eligible to accumulate points or miles for the ticket issued in exchange for the Buddy Pass." https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...dy-pass.html#/
canadiancow and kalderlake like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
And did the companion get any Aeroplan credits? I think the AC T and C for this pass suggests the companion gets some credit, but the companion gets no credit for the AC buddy pass.
I can say that on a recent trip to YVR from YOW and back- going via YYZ. I used the pass.

The Full AQM/AQS/AQD came for me and the full AQM/AQS plus about $99 as AQD came for my wife.
Used latitude fare - so instant upgrade- at least on YUL-YVR and YVR-YYZ flights. YOW-YUL had a single cabin; YYZ-YOW was not upgradeable on A220 (fewer business class seats in J cabin than A319/A320/A321).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:42 pm

Can I use World Companion Pass to purchase open jaw ticket (e.g. from Vancouver to Japan, then Korea back to Vancouver)?
Thanks!
Saydie11 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:10 pm

Anyone have any experience cancelling tickets booked with a companion pass, and how quickly the pass gets redeposited to your account? I used mine for a one-way latitude booking, using points for the return, but with the double SQx promo extended for Europe I would like to cancel both and rebook return latitude tickets with the pass. Right now it looks like there is still R space on the flights I want, but if it's going to take a long time to get the pass redeposited I probably won't risk it.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by laner
Anyone have any experience cancelling tickets booked with a companion pass, and how quickly the pass gets redeposited to your account? I used mine for a one-way latitude booking, using points for the return, but with the double SQx promo extended for Europe I would like to cancel both and rebook return latitude tickets with the pass. Right now it looks like there is still R space on the flights I want, but if it's going to take a long time to get the pass redeposited I probably won't risk it.
I've done it twice. It is near instant.
unclepants, laner and kalderlake like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:19 am

I have been trying to use this Companion Pass and have trouble finding available flights. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?
Old May 11, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Can the AC Companion pass generated by Amex Aeroplan Reserve be used by anyone for the main full fare ticket i.e. can I book two tickets for my family using the full price ticket and the companion discounted ticket ? Or do I have to be on the full fare ticket ?
Old May 11, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by vernonc
Can the AC Companion pass generated by Amex Aeroplan Reserve be used by anyone for the main full fare ticket i.e. can I book two tickets for my family using the full price ticket and the companion discounted ticket ? Or do I have to be on the full fare ticket ?
From the T&Cs:

"The Companion Pass entitles a companion to accompany the primary cardholder for a fixed base fare (plus taxes, fees, charges, and surcharges), when the primary cardholder books a published economy fare on a flight marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand."

Bolding mine.
vernonc likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:38 am

Can I add a stopover on an international ticket when using Annual World Companion Pass?
Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by painintheuk
per post #37

"The Companion Pass entitles a companion to accompany the primary cardholder for a fixed base fare (plus taxes, fees, charges, and surcharges), when the primary cardholder books a published economy fare on a flight marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand."

I presume that this pass is not valid if at least one flight on an AC ticket itinerary is AC code-shared on another airline?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
per post #37
I presume that this pass is not valid if at least one flight on an AC ticket itinerary is AC code-shared on another airline?
You can sometimes have some codeshare connectors but not frequently. At least, I had some LH and OS segments in my options when I booked a few months ago. For EU for example, your transatlantic must be on AC.

The base price of the ticket must be above 500$ per individual for it to price with the pass on the website. It’s not useful anyway otherwise.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:48 pm

Is this stackable?

Worldwide companion pass

PLUS

AC promo code

PLUS

AC gift card
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:23 am

Is this stackable?

Worldwide companion pass

PLUS

AC promo code

PLUS

AC gift card
Promo code: no. I tried. Didn’t work.

Gift card: yes: I assume, it’s equivalent to any other payment method.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by HSBC
Can I use World Companion Pass to purchase open jaw ticket (e.g. from Vancouver to Japan, then Korea back to Vancouver)?
Thanks!
I just tried to do an open jaw Intra-Canada booking online, and it would only apply the pass to the outbound. So it looks as if they are serious about the “return” definition. Open jaws are booked as multi-city on the website, but I don’t know if there is a subtle interpretation issue that might be overridden/used if you call in.
Diabeetus and HSBC like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:51 am

Does Annual Worldwide Companion Pass allow 1 stopover if paying extra for the stopover?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.