Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 787-9 Premium economy and upgrade Q

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 787-9 Premium economy and upgrade Q

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

787-9 Premium economy and upgrade Q

Hi All

will be travelling from DXB-YYZ on 787-9, currently booked in Economy class.

When I go to my bookings, I’m getting an upgrade price of $549 including tax to upgrade from economy to premium economy. Is it worth it? What are the added benefits?

Question 2: do the armrests move in the premium economy section of the 787-9?

had a bad experience on BA premium economy last year where we wanted to lift up the armrests to be more comfortable but they wouldn’t move and made for a miserable flight!

thanks
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Whether it is worth it depends on what you value. You will get a bigger seat with more leg room and recline and a better meal. You'll also earn some extra Aeroplan points for the class of service bonus. You will also get priority check-in and boarding and two free checked bags.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...y-class.html#/

However, as you've noted the arm rest will not raise. So if that is important to you, then you can stick to your smaller narrower seat with a moveable armrest.

For a flight that long I would personally consider it, as I would normally not fly that long in economy, but if you don't mind economy seats and don't have high expectations for food, stick with what you've got and pocket the money.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WGretzky
Hi All

will be travelling from DXB-YYZ on 787-9, currently booked in Economy class.

When I go to my bookings, I’m getting an upgrade price of $549 including tax to upgrade from economy to premium economy. Is it worth it? What are the added benefits?

Question 2: do the armrests move in the premium economy section of the 787-9?

had a bad experience on BA premium economy last year where we wanted to lift up the armrests to be more comfortable but they wouldn’t move and made for a miserable flight!

thanks

@WGretzky

First, there is a thread that discusses seats and there are many photos of the AC cabins including Premium Economy.

Seats and Cabins on the B788, B789, and the 777 (3 versions)

Also, I'm not sure why you thought the armrests would be movable in Premium Economy. On most airlines I've flown, they are fixed and it's part of the seat designs. The only things that move are the seat back and foot rests (no foot rests on row 12 on AC)

As for the cost to upgrade, the value is your own decision to make. As we often say, if you ask 10 people if it's worth it, you might get 10-15 different answers.

You should really look at the photos of the seats and cabin to get a better sense of what they look like.

And you should also check the thread for meals in Premium Economy on AC.

Safe travels.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Whether it is worth it depends on what you value. You will get a bigger seat with more leg room and recline and a better meal. You'll also earn some extra Aeroplan points for the class of service bonus. You will also get priority check-in and boarding and two free checked bags.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...y-class.html#/

However, as you've noted the arm rest will not raise. So if that is important to you, then you can stick to your smaller narrower seat with a moveable armrest.

For a flight that long I would personally consider it, as I would normally not fly that long in economy, but if you don't mind economy seats and don't have high expectations for food, stick with what you've got and pocket the money.
I agree with all of this .... except the "extra Aeroplan points for the class of service bonus". Be careful about assuming that. I know that eUpgrades do not result in an increase in the class of service bonus points. If you're paying dollars for an upgrade, it's tougher to say what is (and is not) included ... but at a minimum, read the fine print and don't just assume.
Vaclav and The Lev like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by canopus27
I agree with all of this .... except the "extra Aeroplan points for the class of service bonus". Be careful about assuming that. I know that eUpgrades do not result in an increase in the class of service bonus points. If you're paying dollars for an upgrade, it's tougher to say what is (and is not) included ... but at a minimum, read the fine print and don't just assume.
AFAIK you do not get class of service bonus when you upgrade for points, dollars or e-Upgrades.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
AFAIK you do not get class of service bonus when you upgrade for points, dollars or e-Upgrades.
sorry, my bad. You are correct. Upgrades do not change the class of service for points accumulation which is the original ticket class. I was thinking about buying up to the premium economy fare which would chance the class of service for points.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by The Lev
It has been what seems like decades (lost COS bonus on upgrades in 2002) since we got class of service bonuses when we upgraded (using Paper certificates back then). Was good while it lasted though. Helped to pad my MM account to make up for the 10 years I flew not being an Aeroplan member!

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Mar 23, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
It has been what seems like decades since we got class of service bonuses when we upgraded (using Paper certificates back then). Was good while it lasted though. Helped to pad my MM account to make up for the 10 years I flew not being an Aeroplan member!
It stopped even while we still had paper certs... when it went from C to I... (which eventually became R)
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It stopped even while we still had paper certs... when it went from C to I... (which eventually became R)
If the OP wants PE I would first call in to check what the fare difference from economy to PE is. If done this way they will get the COS bonus and it may be the same price.

Either way, doesn't hurt to ask.
yyznomad and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
This is of interest to me too. I have a PE ticket and on the Air Canada website I cannot look at the business class difference. I can actually see it when I click it says not available. Do I have to call AC to see that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.