Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC partners with Switch Health for COVID-19 molecular & antigen self-test kits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC partners with Switch Health for COVID-19 molecular & antigen self-test kits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou
RT-LAMP kits are back in stock. Hurry.
Thanks, just got two for upcoming trip to Madrid
jasdou likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
RT-LAMP kits are back in stock. Hurry.

I am waiting until after November 21st. There is speculation that the government may scrap the PCR test for vaccinated Canadian returning home.
zrh2yvr and fbrdky like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ACfly
I am waiting until after November 21st. There is speculation that the government may scrap the PCR test for vaccinated Canadian returning home.
That would be great. I’m leaving Canada on the 22nd though so I’m not going to take that chance. I paid for express shipping, hopefully I’ll receive it before the end of the week.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ACfly
News outlets are widely reporting the feds are dropping the PCR test requirement, but only for vaccinated Canadian residents who have been away for less than 72 hrs. Everyone else will still need a test. I've just ordered a pair of the RT-LAMP ones for an upcoming trip to the UK.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by leisurefly
Got the email bought 4 for the wife and me.
Ordered yesterday, showed up on my porch today, standard shipping.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by leisurefly
Ordered yesterday, showed up on my porch today, standard shipping.
I ordered Monday, paid extra for express shipping and I’m still waiting for it.

Edit: It seems like I am not alone. This really doesn't seem to be a very reliable supplier.

Last edited by jasdou; Nov 18, 2021 at 8:58 am
Old Nov 18, 2021, 11:48 am

I ordered Monday, paid extra for express shipping and I’m still waiting for it.

Edit: It seems like I am not alone. This really doesn't seem to be a very reliable supplier.
https://twitter.com/LPott78/status/1461061300021129218
For those following, it seems like these orders are being fulfilled by RewardOps based on what I can see on the Purolator tracking page:

So the kits are promoted by Air Canada, sold by Switch Health and orders are fulfilled by RewardOps. After following up with Switch, I've been told that "due to high demand of purchases, there has been a delay in shipping". I placed the order on Monday at 11am, paid for express shipping (1-3 days) and it took them 2 full days to just create a label and pick-up by Purolator doesn't appear to have been scheduled.

This feels like another case of AC partnering up with the wrong supplier as it's certainly not the first time that we are seeing poor coordination and execution in promos, gifts or sales. RewardOps is a well known repeat offender around these parts. Looks like I'm going to have to fight for a refund now and execute my plan B to get tested overseas.
24left and talkeryxu like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One word of caution here: it appears the Lucida test has a rate of false positive of about 2%.

That may seem like not too much but if you end up as one of the two in one hundred...
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
One word of caution here: it appears the Lucida test has a rate of false positive of about 2%.

That may seem like not too much but if you end up as one of the two in one hundred...
Thanks to me 49 of you are in the clear. You're welcome. 😛

Last edited by talkeryxu; Nov 20, 2021 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by talkeryxu
Thanks to me 49 of you are in the clear. You're welcome. 😛

Right. :-)

But seriously, two points:

1. The Lucida literature actually shows that in a group of 50 known to be negative, one of them had positive results using the Lucida kit.

2. The US FDA emergency approval of the Lucida kit specifically states that is it intended only for symptomatic cases.

In other words, the Switchhealth use of the Lucida kit for travel purposes is not really appropriate. That LAMP tests are acceptable as per Canadian regulations is not unreasonable, since if they coming up negative then people who seemed symptomatic are in the clear.

At the very least Switchhealth should be clear that there is a 2% risk of false positive.
talkeryxu likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Don’t even bother : multiple Pharmacy’s offer FREE NAAT testing Walgreens for example
they say results in less than 24hrs but I’ve had several and they email you the link to download the results in less than 3 hrs……
you just have to book it on line as they get filled up the day of or day before
easy peasy lemon squeezy
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM; Bonvoy Tit; Accor Dia
Used the RT-LAMP last week from South America.

Worked like a charm. Setup is relatively straight forward although some of the terminology can be confusing (different terms for the same thing). Watching the YouTube video helps.

Had a response from a Telehealth Nurse within 6 minutes. Super nice young lady, very accommodating.

5 minutes for the test, 22 minutes for the results on the device, 7 minutes for the certificate to show up in the e-mail inbox.

Great experience from start to finish.
unclepants likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFiasco
Used the RT-LAMP last week from South America.

Worked like a charm. Setup is relatively straight forward although some of the terminology can be confusing (different terms for the same thing). Watching the YouTube video helps.

Had a response from a Telehealth Nurse within 6 minutes. Super nice young lady, very accommodating.

5 minutes for the test, 22 minutes for the results on the device, 7 minutes for the certificate to show up in the e-mail inbox.

Great experience from start to finish.
Except if you get a false positive...

As I said, the Lucida test (which is what this is) is only recommended for symptomatic cases. They should not be using it for travel for non-symptomatic people.
mountainboy and talkeryxu like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Always have a backup plan…

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/local-new...t-kits-4800232
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM; Bonvoy Tit; Accor Dia
Originally Posted by Stranger
Except if you get a false positive...

As I said, the Lucida test (which is what this is) is only recommended for symptomatic cases. They should not be using it for travel for non-symptomatic people.
I got a false positive taking it with a local (Victoria) outfit (ConnectUs) for a trip to the US. Then they overcharged me and then they didn't respond. There's no 100% guarantee either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.