Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complaints/rants about Aeroplan 2.0 dynamic pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complaints/rants about Aeroplan 2.0 dynamic pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I really don’t know how to stop going in circles on this.

The flight you now see at 400K under the new program, simply never would have been available under the old program.
So market fares weren't part of the old program?

Edit - answered my own question via the Wayback Machine...
YOWRON likes this.

Last edited by Norcanair; Jul 11, 2022 at 12:58 pm Reason: addendum
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Norcanair
So market fares weren't part of the old program?

Edit - answered my own question via the Wayback Machine...
If you're including Market Fare, then I really have no idea what point people are trying to make. It was 400k before, and it's 400k now. So nothing changed?
ChrisA330, gilboman and YOWgary like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:08 pm

While perhaps things are skewed by the pandemic (and my optimistic view at the time), in June 2020 (under old AP) I was able to book HND-YYZ on AC in I for 2 pax in May 2021. It set me back 75k AP per pax.

Looking at June-July 2023, AC is asking at least 300,000 AP for 0-1 stop AC flights in J for TYO-YYZ. It seems slightly less feasible to rebook that trip using AC metal without paying 3x the cost.

And don't get me started on the Air Canada Points Predictor(R). The quoted estimate is 75-175k for AC metal. I'd be interested to find if there's any day that would fall into that range across the entire year.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you're including Market Fare, then I really have no idea what point people are trying to make. It was 400k before, and it's 400k now. So nothing changed?
We can stop going in circles claiming that flights simply never would have been available under the old program.

And something has changed. It may have at times been scarce, but under the old program there was a reasonable expectation that Air Canada would be releasing at least some TATL I space to Aeroplan.
kubees likes this.

Last edited by Norcanair; Jul 11, 2022 at 1:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:54 pm

We can stop going in circles claiming that flights simply never would have been available under the old program.

And something has changed. It may have at times been scarce, but under the old program there was a reasonable expectation that Air Canada would be releasing at least some TATL I space to Aeroplan.
Didn't take long to find this. Less than the all-partner option for 70k.

And I only searched a few days on one route (this is August 23).

I just disagree with the premise of most people making the complaints. There is still cheap I-space on AC metal. And when there isn't, it would have been unavailable before, or expensive through Market Fare.

Bohemian1, YOWgary and Norcanair like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:11 pm

You’re doing better than the rest of us looking at space. I sincerely hope more such results come available because that’s not been the case on my usual routing to DUB and LHR (but LHR has often been a bit tough without foreplanning).
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by zappy312
While perhaps things are skewed by the pandemic (and my optimistic view at the time), in June 2020 (under old AP) I was able to book HND-YYZ on AC in I for 2 pax in May 2021. It set me back 75k AP per pax.

Looking at June-July 2023, AC is asking at least 300,000 AP for 0-1 stop AC flights in J for TYO-YYZ. It seems slightly less feasible to rebook that trip using AC metal without paying 3x the cost.
yep, a year ago, when ~98% of the planet was barred from entering Japan, those tickets were pretty gettable. I'm about to cancel one of them tonight.

now, when everyone's trying to book for peak season next year - when it seems very likely the borders will be open - the supply-demand curve is different.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:16 am

Even if a low-range redemption can be found, there’s a report on FT of AC issuing an automatic refund of points rather than offering a rebooking for an AE member, when AC cut the daytime YYZ-LHR flight.

How confident can anyone be that their redemption is “locked in," when pretty gettable seats turn scarce?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:26 am

There are many many many more reports of "they booked me on whatever I asked that had positive space".
YOWgary likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:55 am

Even if a low-range redemption can be found, there’s a report on FT of AC issuing an automatic refund of points rather than offering a rebooking for an AE member, when AC cut the daytime YYZ-LHR flight.

How confident can anyone be that their redemption is “locked in," when pretty gettable seats turn scarce?
So... we've moved on from dynamic pricing to a discussion of rebooking and IRROPS?

I must be misunderstanding, it looks like you're suggesting that AC would cancel an existing booking if they thought they could re-sell the same seat for more.
canadiancow and zappy312 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
So... we've moved on from dynamic pricing to a discussion of rebooking and IRROPS?

I must be misunderstanding, it looks like you're suggesting that AC would cancel an existing booking if they thought they could re-sell the same seat for more.
Conclude whatever you wish.

Only to say there is at least one data point of AC not honouring a point booking on a route where redemptions recently have went through the roof.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:15 pm

One data point
/thread
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know if this is the correct thread for this, but close enough.

"Book every seat, every Air Canada flight, no restrictions"

Unless the cabin is full. They won't overbook a cabin with points. So I can pay cash on AC.com, but I can't use points on AC.com.

I guess it's not technically wrong because it's still "every" seat. But I feel like they've said "if you can book it with cash, you can book it with points" a few times.
The AC.com wording is "Any Air Canada seat you see available to buy in cash, you can use your points to redeem for it."

I guess a seat isn't truly available to buy with cash if it's overbooked, so that's why you can't redeem points for it?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312
The AC.com wording is "Any Air Canada seat you see available to buy in cash, you can use your points to redeem for it."

I guess a seat isn't truly available to buy with cash if it's overbooked, so that's why you can't redeem points for it?
Oh. Well it was available to buy in cash. So, once again, they're not honoring big bold marketing claims.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: AP, Avios, AS, Flying Blue, WJD
Will Dynamic Pricing drop on AC metal japan routes?

I am trying to book a return flight from KIX to YYZ routing through YVR for 3 in J for July 2023 and the current prices for AP points are absurdly high (280k+ each).
Even PY is pricing at 110k minimum with no eupgrade availability.
Has anyone experienced way overpriced routes dropping in points requirements the closer you get to the intended travel date?
We cannot book with partner airlines as the most premium award seats in J or F we will find released right now is 2.

*seems all the answers are in the thread already

Last edited by CHRoNiCWiLL; Aug 15, 2022 at 7:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.