Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Current AC Boarding process & timing in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

I'm trying to help my elderly aunt, who's flying in business class from LHR-YYZ on 857 in about a week - and I'm trying to understand what the current departure process is from Heathrow as I haven't been to LHR since pre-Covid and I want to give her the best advice possible, especially re: timing. I know that in the pre-Covid times, there was a passport validation check that was required at the gate prior to boarding. I presume the passport check is still there, and I'm wondering if that process has now been expanded to include things like verification of vaccination and/or Covid testing - and if that is causing additional delays or lineups.

She's absolutely not a frequent traveler, in fact she's quite nervous about this trip - and she's not even a FOTSG; it's worse, she's literally a grandma ... so I'm trying to figure out how early I should recommend that she should plan to arrive at the gate in LHR to avoid getting stressed.

Has anyone flown LHR-YYZ recently? Are there long lines, delays, or additional steps at the boarding area?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I just flew AC855 from LHR and it was pretty seamless. I had carry on only but went to baggage drop to verify my COVID test and passport info. If checking bags, The business class desks are hidden in second row (same as pre COVID), can just be hard to find.

They’re using B gates so the walk is far. AC lounge is not open but you can use Singapore or United.

Gate was opened early and had a separate queue for business. Two security people checked tests, ArriveCAN and Passport for those that have not done so prior to arriving at the gate.

It was honestly very civilized and efficient. If your grandma is not mobile though worth asking for the assistance since B Gates are far.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by seegs
They’re using B gates so the walk is far. AC lounge is not open but you can use Singapore or United.

Gate was opened early and had a separate queue for business. Two security people checked tests, ArriveCAN and Passport for those that have not done so prior to arriving at the gate.

It was honestly very civilized and efficient. If your grandma is not mobile though worth asking for the assistance since B Gates are far.
Is the golf cart service (at the bottom of the escalators at the start of the tunnel to B) still available for the B tunnel?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is the golf cart service (at the bottom of the escalators at the start of the tunnel to B) still available for the B tunnel?
Yes.

I showed up at the gate recently at T-17, and it was fine. I wouldn't worry.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, it is, or it was a week ago.

I’d suggest to the OP’s aunt that she have her documents verified at the check in desk. We were on 857 a week ago (well, 8 days ago…) and that proved to be an easy way to do it. The agent literally looked that we had an ArriveCan receipt and checked that we had a negative PCR test within the required time period. That took about 30 seconds. Security was quick as well. Boarding was fine. The main issue was that they were boarding three AC flights in a short period of time so there was some congestion. They seemed to take good care of those needing extra assistance, so if your aunt needs that she should get excellent care.
yyznomad and canopus27 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by arf04
Yes, it is, or it was a week ago.

I’d suggest to the OP’s aunt that she have her documents verified at the check in desk. We were on 857 a week ago (well, 8 days ago…) and that proved to be an easy way to do it. The agent literally looked that we had an ArriveCan receipt and checked that we had a negative PCR test within the required time period. That took about 30 seconds. Security was quick as well. Boarding was fine. The main issue was that they were boarding three AC flights in a short period of time so there was some congestion. They seemed to take good care of those needing extra assistance, so if your aunt needs that she should get excellent care.
I agree with checking at the baggage drop desk. 855 left at 10am and airport was empty. 857 departs at same time as several AC flights.
canopus27 and arf04 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.