Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Connecting through YUL vs YYZ on Halifax-NYC trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting through YUL vs YYZ on Halifax-NYC trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Enough time to connect through YUL?

In a few weeks, I'm traveling Halifax-Montreal-LaGuardia (NYC) in business class. I'm a U.S. citizen with just carry-on baggage and Global Entry, FWIW. I arrive YUL at about 1 pm on a Tuesday.

My YUL connection is 55 minutes. Especially given the possibly extra time of presenting my Covid test certification, what are my chances of making the connection? Any tips on increasing my chances?

Thanks for any help and advice.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If YHZ-YUL is on time, it'll be no problem. Upload the test at OLCI right at T-24, do the attestation at the same time, and your BP should end up with ADOC,ATTS on it, so you won't have to show the test to anyone at the airport. But if you can't do that, make sure you show it at YHZ and that the BP they give you has an ADOC remark.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much!
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Connecting through YUL vs YYZ

In a couple of weeks I'll fly business class Halifax-YUL or YYZ-LGA (NYC) on AC. It's about a 75 minute connection through either connection. I'll just have carry-on bags. I'm a U.S. citizen with Global Entry.

The departure and arrival times for YHZ-YUL-LGA are 16:25/19:42

The times for YHZ-YYZ-LGA are 14:25/18:27.

Any thoughts on which connection I'd have a better chance of making, especially since I'll need to show my Covid test certification? I'm leaning toward YUL since I believe it's a less busy airport and the miles/cash payment combination is lower. But YYZ gets me in earlier, which I'd prefer.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Sep 20, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If they sold you, or are willing to sell you, the ticket, they think you can make the connection; they know best, and the would take care of you (for some value of "take care of") if you miss it on their word.

he NEXUS/GW faster security lines may or may not be open in either place, if they are its because volume. Flip side is, if they aren't, its low volume and you don't need them. (the actual US NEXUS machines should "always" be open, barring technical failures.) YUL is less of a walk if that is a factor. But neither are a marathon.

AC is reporting as of right now the YYZ MLL on the US side is closed, and the YUL TB MLL is open. So, I'd go YUL on that point alone.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've experienced and seen reports of horrible international arrival delays at YYZ. It's not nearly as bad at YUL. But that's more a matter for the other direction.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've experienced and seen reports of horrible international arrival delays at YYZ.
I've seen the reports as well. My experience coming off AC 857 on Friday was that connecting passengers were allowed to leave the aircraft right away, and all others were let off in 50 passenger batches. I have no idea how long it took for people to get through immigration as I was connecting, but it took me no more than 15 minutes via the connections route, which included the walk from the aircraft. But, as you note, it is the other way that relates to the OP's question. So many unknowns these days with such processes... I was quite worried about arriving at LHR given the horror stories in the media, but from on the aircraft to being outside the terminal took me 21 minutes, and that included picking up a checked bag. So, who knows?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the useful replies, folks.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC is reporting as of right now the YYZ MLL on the US side is closed, and the YUL TB MLL is open. So, I'd go YUL on that point alone.
Sorry, what's MLL? And TB?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Sorry, what's MLL? And TB?
Maple Leaf Lounge; trans border (post US pre-clearance).
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:44 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by arf04
I've seen the reports as well. My experience coming off AC 857 on Friday was that connecting passengers were allowed to leave the aircraft right away, and all others were let off in 50 passenger batches. I have no idea how long it took for people to get through immigration as I was connecting, but it took me no more than 15 minutes via the connections route, which included the walk from the aircraft.
Ditto for me on Saturday night. The ground staff made me show my onward boarding pass as I was leaving the aircraft as part of the connecting batch. As with you, about 15 minutes end to end.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Check which flights have a better on time history, and which misconnect would cause the least inconvenience.
Air Canada's on time performance is the worst in North America at below 50%.
So leave lots of time. Your connections may look good on paper
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:08 am

Generally speaking, I think YUL is a more manageable and less stressful transfer experience than YYZ, but note on most days if you miss that particular YUL-LGA service you have no later option into the NYC area, whereas in YYZ you would have a later EWR and a later LGA flight to fall back on.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
YUL

I've transited both this month + my vote is YUL. More options to visit a lounge.
My PF is the Nat'l Bank Lounge. Head for Gate 48 if you are short on time & check out Bistrot Trudeau - good for a Montreal style bagel!

e
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Check which flights have a better on time history, and which misconnect would cause the least inconvenience.
Air Canada's on time performance is the worst in North America at below 50%.
So leave lots of time. Your connections may look good on paper
OTP is unrelated to made-connections, which isn't a publicly published metric.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RangerNS
OTP is unrelated to made-connections, which isn't a publicly published metric.
Personally I wouldn't take a flight that is on time 33% like the evening LGAYUL
or this one
AC (**) 7491 LGA 15:15 → YYZ 16:45
Reliability: 26% / 47m

You are telling me a 47 min delay on average will not have an impact on connections being made?

The point is AC is an unreliable airline, and booking connections with AC need a bit more research and a plan B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.