Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLL access on mixed-cabin itineraries (2021 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold

Next month I'm flying LHR>YVR>PDX (all AC metal). I'm in J on LHR>YVR leg, but YVR>PDX leg is Y only (DASH 8). Do I have access to the MLL TB at YVR?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
(If) your booking class is J, and you happen to be on an aircraft without a J cabin, you still get lounge access, and priority boarding, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, I'd expect this to go by fare basis, so if this is an Aeroplan redemption, I would not expect this to work any more.

The rule was always basically "if this gets upgaged to a CR9, would you be entitled to be placed on the upgrade list for this flight". So a paid J ticket yes, a legacy Aeroplan booking yes, but nothing else.
YOWgary likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Dec 1, 2021 at 10:23 am Reason: fix really old typo
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

It's actually a UA MP redemption. I've got another two LH short hop legs on same ticket before this segment (both in J).
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1
It's actually a UA MP redemption. I've got another two LH short hop legs on same ticket before this segment (both in J).
Then I would not expect to be allowed in, but it certainly never hurts to show up with both boarding passes and ask.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

AC site shows the ticket as Business Class Flexible with a note about a mixed cabin leg so maybe there's hope. 4 hour layover in the TB terminal doesn't sound pleasant.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1
AC site shows the ticket as Business Class Flexible with a note about a mixed cabin leg so maybe there's hope. 4 hour layover in the TB terminal doesn't sound pleasant.
What the website shows is basically irrelevant. We have recent reports of the MLL system denying access to people who are obviously entitled. I'm 99% sure the system will reject you, and without *G or J, you're going to have a really tough argument.

If you put your booking in https://api.ft.canadiancow.com/pnr/pnr, what's the fare basis for YVR-PDX? If it starts with "I", you might be able to convince an agent ("Look at the fare basis, it's business class!"). If it's X, I just don't see it happening.

Are you admissible to Canada (noting, of course, that the testing requirements are more strict than for the US)? There's a bar nearby. I've gone there on 4 hour connections (recently).

Or maybe the TB Plaza Premium will be open by then.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

X for PDX leg I for the other 3.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: ba silver
I actually asked a MLL agent last week before boarding my outbound flight.

I was told as long as you aircraft had no J cabin ( or you were downgraded due to IROp) you woul get access to the lounge if it was part of a J itinerary, reward travel or not.

I was almost in the same boat but a schedule change put me in J on all segments.

I noticed something on my AC boarding pass for the first time also: it was written that I had lounge access. If you see this then you're already good to go, if not you will have to speak with an agent. Safe travels!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:24 pm

That used to be true, but only on 014 tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
I actually asked a MLL agent last week before boarding my outbound flight.

I was told as long as you aircraft had no J cabin ( or you were downgraded due to IROp) you woul get access to the lounge if it was part of a J itinerary, reward travel or not.

I was almost in the same boat but a schedule change put me in J on all segments.

I noticed something on my AC boarding pass for the first time also: it was written that I had lounge access. If you see this then you're already good to go, if not you will have to speak with an agent. Safe travels!
I'm originating on LH so my boarding pass would come from them, but I guess I could ask for AC paper in LHR and see if that works better.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I know back when I didn't have status, I'd just buy paid J on AC and also AE J redemptions but it would involve a lot of YEG-YYC-XXX... I always got access in YEG by saying that I'm on a J ticket but the flight doesn't have J class. Also got access multiple times YEG-YVR-SEA at YVR TB (This was back in 2012-2013 though when I was 19 with no premium travel CC either, so having lounge access with the J fare was a huge perk for me).

Things may have changed as canadiancow is letting us know now... Haven't tried in ages.

Please report back and let us know what happens! Worth a try... if not, the TB lounge in YVR sucks anyways lol. if you have 4 hours I'd go grab some food in Richmond
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I know back when I didn't have status, I'd just buy paid J on AC and also AE J redemptions but it would involve a lot of YEG-YYC-XXX... I always got access in YEG by saying that I'm on a J ticket but the flight doesn't have J class. Also got access multiple times YEG-YVR-SEA at YVR TB (This was back in 2012-2013 though when I was 19 with no premium travel CC either, so having lounge access with the J fare was a huge perk for me).

Things may have changed as canadiancow is letting us know now... Haven't tried in ages.

Please report back and let us know what happens! Worth a try... if not, the TB lounge in YVR sucks anyways lol. if you have 4 hours I'd go grab some food in Richmond
In all your cases, if there had been an upgauge to a CR9, you would have been eligible to be put on the list for J.

That is not the case for the OP. AC has not been paid for J on YVR-PDX.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan Basic; BA Executive Club Blue;
MLL Access in Connecting Flight with No J Class

Hi;

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but couldn't find anything relevant in the search. I'm looking at purchasing a J Class ticket from Halifax-Toronto-Windsor. Obviously, there is no J Class on the Dash's, but was wondering if I would still be eligible for MLL access at Pearson during my layover. With the cuts in flights, some of the layovers are quite long, so would prefer to not be in the terminal building!

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Yes as long as part of your itinerary is in J, just show them that ticket along with your connection and you'll be good to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.