Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

When does AC verify COVID test results? Testing airside at origin or on layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does AC verify COVID test results? Testing airside at origin or on layover?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 3:39 pm
JBa
Original Poster

Programs: some

Hi,

Returning to the states this coming Sunday and am hoping that I can do the PCR test at YUL airport. Flying in from Saint John NB to arrive around lunch time at YUL and continue to MCO around 5p. I know that I can take the test at YUL airport, done that before. But the question is, will AC allow me to board plane at YSJ? Will have confirmed appointment with Biron for that afternoon.

Anybody done similar before? Advise?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you show them the appointment, they should let you on. And you can get by with an antigen test instead of a PCR test to enter the US - it's usually cheaper.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by JBa
Hi,

Returning to the states this coming Sunday and am hoping that I can do the PCR test at YUL airport. Flying in from Saint John NB to arrive around lunch time at YUL and continue to MCO around 5p. I know that I can take the test at YUL airport, done that before. But the question is, will AC allow me to board plane at YSJ? Will have confirmed appointment with Biron for that afternoon.

Anybody done similar before? Advise?

Thanks in advance
Following as I have a similar situation (YSJ-YUL-BRU-KGL). Leaving on a Monday from YSJ means I can't get a PCR test within the window I require before leaving NB (the fastest private testing options only test Monday-Thursday, and have a ~72 hours turnaround) . You'd think there would be easier access to PCR testing by now given that PCR is the standard for most international travel, and well, we're 1.5 years into this thing.

Debating doing the test mentioned above in YUL if they will allow it.
YUL likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:59 am
JBa
Original Poster

Contacted AC and they confirmed that they will check me in for flight YSJ to YUL. when showing the covid test appointment at YUL. I will provide feedback on how it went
b_magee likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite, Delta PM, *G, Skyteam ElitePlus, Nexus,
I have traveled 3 times to MCO in August and can confirm that an Antigen Rapid Test is sufficient for travel to the U.S. This is usually cheaper ($40-$70) and the results are available within 15-30 minutes. I have always uploaded my results on the Air Canada App when checking in and nobody has looked at it after that. However, they will pick up your CDC attestation form that needs to be completed and signed.
YUL likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jinxer226
However, they will pick up your CDC attestation form that needs to be completed and signed.
That's digital now.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:59 pm
JBa
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback re Rapid Test. I've done that before flying out of YUL to ATL. My main question was, am I allowed to board the flight from YSJ to YUL while only having appointment confirmation from test facility at YUL.
That was answered positive here by mahasamatman and by AC. Will post update Sunday
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by JBa
Thanks for the feedback re Rapid Test. I've done that before flying out of YUL to ATL. My main question was, am I allowed to board the flight from YSJ to YUL while only having appointment confirmation from test facility at YUL.
That was answered positive here by mahasamatman and by AC. Will post update Sunday
How did things go with the YSJ departure? Guessing everything went as advertised and getting the test in YUL was no big deal?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:58 am
JBa
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b_magee
How did things go with the YSJ departure? Guessing everything went as advertised and getting the test in YUL was no big deal?
Check in at YSJ went without any problems. Only received boarding pass to YUL and luggage had to get picked up at YUL as well. After arrival, went to test facility, which now is located at the mezzanine by US check in. Got the Rapid test and checked in for the flight to MCO. All in all, from getting off the plane and re-checking in it took me about an hour.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: nada
YHZ-YYZ-MCO Rapid Antigen Test During YYZ Layover?

I have family flying through YYZ tomorrow to MCO and they did not get covid-19 tests. They are fully vaccinated US citizens and didn't understand the requirements (no excuse). There are no appointments available in Halifax for a few days.
They land at YYZ at 835a with the connecting flight to MCO at 1015am. SwitchHealth has appointments as early as 850a in the Value Park Garage Lot and their website indicates walk-ins are also an option.

1) Will AC let them on the plane in YHZ with a booking confirmation for tests at YYZ?
2) Is there any possibility of making their connecting flight (only 1h40m layover)?

If they miss it, there are other flights later in the day or the next day.
But the big question is 1) above?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC 75K
1. See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-possible.html With only a 1h40 connection,
2. this is playing with fire IMO.

YYZ-MCO is once a day.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
1. See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-possible.html With only a 1h40 connection,
2. this is playing with fire IMO.

YYZ-MCO is once a day.
Thanks. I read that post and it appears to be an identical situation. I don't think they'll make the connection either. I've advised them to have a carry-on with a change of clothes, toothbrush etc. And prepare for a night stay at an airport hotel or multiple connections to get home.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:44 am

Question about Documents Check at DEN

I'm flying AC DEN-YYZ in early October and wondering if it's possible to use the Xpresscheck store (post-security) to get the required COVID test.

Unfortunately I will need to check a bag on this trip, so wondering if AC asks for test results at checkin, or only when boarding?

Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this? Other suggestions?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by yyzjake
I'm flying AC DEN-YYZ in early October and wondering if it's possible to use the Xpresscheck store (post-security) to get the required COVID test.

Unfortunately I will need to check a bag on this trip, so wondering if AC asks for test results at checkin, or only when boarding?

Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this? Other suggestions?
I assume there may be issues, possibly depending on who the check in agent is. If you bypass the counter, of course you will be able to get docs checked at the gate, but given some of the reports on this forum about sticky check in agents there is some risk involved.

I do, wonder, if you can get the requisite test quickly enough post-security. Antigen tests cannot be used for entry to Canada and a PCR test will take time to process.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arf04
I do, wonder, if you can get the requisite test quickly enough post-security. Antigen tests cannot be used for entry to Canada and a PCR test will take time to process.
That demonstrates a misunderstanding of testing and requirements, but it's probably better suited for the Canada forum. There are plenty of 15 minute tests that Canada will accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.