Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada crew held in Hong Kong after positive COVID test

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium

https://torontosun.com/news/national/air-canada-crew-held-in-hong-kong-after-positive-covid-test/wcm/3aff11c4-7dae-434e-a0d5-14bd5179ac64/

An internal memo obtained by the Sun, dated Sept. 10, said the four-person flight crew of an Air Canada cargo flight was detained by Chinese authorities last Thursday after one of the pilots allegedly tested positive for COVID-19 — despite testing negative before leaving Canada.
I’m guessing they’re at the Penny Bay facility. Incoming travellers that test positive are sent there.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada Reroutes Hong Kong Flights Via Seoul To Avoid Flight Ban

Air Canada has decided to re-route its Hong Kong-bound flights via the South Korean capital of Seoul. The decision comes after some of the airline’s crew have had to quarantine in Hong Kong following a reported positive coronavirus test. Such action may see the carrier avoid a flight ban in Hong Kong, which other airlines have already been subjected to.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:56 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
Air Canada Reroutes Hong Kong Flights Via Seoul To Avoid Flight Ban

Air Canada has decided to re-route its Hong Kong-bound flights via the South Korean capital of Seoul. The decision comes after some of the airline’s crew have had to quarantine in Hong Kong following a reported positive coronavirus test. Such action may see the carrier avoid a flight ban in Hong Kong, which other airlines have already been subjected to.
Indeed. It will be an interesting flight tomorrow at 8:50 am on AC 8.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
People on FB were complaining about the whole trip lasting 18+ hours, and of course the typical HK rants re. paying for non-stop service but not getting it.

Passengers were not allowed to leave the plane in Seoul.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I plan to fly AC 8 HKG-YVR next week. It’s turned from a 7:05 PM departure to an 8:50 AM departure, with a stop at Seoul! The change hasn’t shown up in ExpertFlyer, yet.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
dang, crew that flew us YYZ-BOG 9/4 and back 9/7 was doing a HKG trip that day. They complained how weird HKG was--they need two tests done at the same time, to be sent to different labs.

//fortunately cargo does not need FAs or a SD, so it wouldn't have been them
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Looks like schedule change is loaded this morning for all AC YYZ-HKG and YVR-HKG flights through Oct 29th to be routed via ICN. The Fri YYZ-HKG is also now not operating.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Which is amusing, because I'm flying the 30th
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Looks like schedule change is loaded this morning for all AC YYZ-HKG and YVR-HKG flights through Oct 29th to be routed via ICN. The Fri YYZ-HKG is also now not operating.
My ✈ flight to HKG on Friday is now canceled, and being re-protected to a Thursday ✈ flight.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:03 am

I left Hong Kong on AC 8 on September 15 at 8:50 am. The Hong Kong to Incheon part had the Toronto crew on board from their earlier arrival on AC 15. We stayed 90 minutes in Incheon and a new crew from Vancouver boarded the plane.
All the departures and arrivals between Canada and Hong Kong have been modified for the next weeks.
My return trip on AC 007 has been modified for an 0:05 am departure from Vancouver, which makes me leave Montreal a day earlier.
Speaking with the crew on board, they dont want to stay in Hong Kong with the stringent quarantine measures, specially in light of last week’s events and I must say I don’t blame them.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:05 am

Can’t blame AC for this move but the new arrangements and flight timings are a lot less pleasant to me.

But really the most important question at the moment is… Do eligible AC pax have lounge access at HKG these days?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Can’t blame AC for this move but the new arrangements and flight timings are a lot less pleasant to me.

But really the most important question at the moment is… Do eligible AC pax have lounge access at HKG these days?
No unfortunately the Star Alliance lounges remain close.
CXYYZ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.