Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Not sure if my discount business class ticket qualifies me for lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Not sure if my discount business class ticket qualifies me for lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Not sure if my discount business class ticket qualifies me for lounge access

First post so forgive me if I've managed to screw something up. I booked a flight on AC for next June from Charlotte to Copenhagen and we have a pretty long connection in Toronto. I booked business class discounted through a cruise line. The fare type is P. I was on AC website before I figured out the fare type and saw there were some tickets that didn't include lounge access but now I can't seem to find where I originally found the restrictions. My husband is a grumpy traveler and will be much easier to deal with if I can park him in a lounge. Even easier to deal with if I can feed him Canadian beer. I usually try and avoid long layovers but none of the discounted options had a short layover. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Every business class ticket includes MLL access, and yours includes SS access, since you paid cash for business.

There will be plenty of Canadian beer (yuck) in either lounge, but you definitely want to use the SS.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Every business class ticket includes MLL access, and yours includes SS access, since you paid cash for business.

There will be plenty of Canadian beer (yuck) in either lounge, but you definitely want to use the SS.
Thank you for the prompt reply. The tickets were pretty discounted based on what I would pay if I booked them directly with AC so if they didn't want to give me lounge access I wouldn't have blamed them. He grew up in Central NY so Canadian beer is what he grew up on. When we go to Epcot he actually chooses to drink the Canadian ones out of all of the different countries available.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
As @canadiancow said, you'll have access to both the Maple Leaf Lounge and the Air Canada Signature Suite.

These are the access rules as of today:

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ure-suite.html
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
As @canadiancow said, you'll have access to both the Maple Leaf Lounge and the Air Canada Signature Suite.

These are the access rules as of today:
Thank you. That's the exact restrictions that I originally found but couldn't find later. It seems like MLL and SS are 2 different things. I didn't realize that and that's probably what confused me. Why is SS better than MLL? I want to make the most of this trip since it was originally scheduled for 2020 and was a celebration trip.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by fluffybunnt22
Thank you. That's the exact restrictions that I originally found but couldn't find later. It seems like MLL and SS are 2 different things. I didn't realize that and that's probably what confused me. Why is SS better than MLL? I want to make the most of this trip since it was originally scheduled for 2020 and was a celebration trip.
I'll answer the "why" in two different ways.

1. Because you have to pay for business on AC to get in. No status, no other airlines. Just paid business (or a surcharge on a points redemption).

2. If you're there for 2 hours, you can easily have the same experience that would cost $100-150 at a restaurant. It's better food, made to order. Better drinks. Better service.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
It is better. Better food, better drinks, better everything. Whatever you do don't go into the regular Maple Leaf Lounge (which is the first one you will see). Ignore it and make sure you end up at the SS lounge. You go down an escalator, turn left, then another left into a small hallway and take and elevator up

Here are some pics I took on a trip in 2019.

Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. There's nothing like this at my home airport and it should make the layover bearable. Thankfully the layover on the way home is short because my husband might be grumpy if we had a long layover on the way home and couldn't access the SS. I didn't book business class expecting any of this. Only booked it because I can't sleep on planes and didn't want to spend 8 hours in economy.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
On the way back, you will not have access to the SS, only to the trans-border MLL.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:17 pm

I haven't been in the SS, but if it is a long layover as you say, I would disagree with mapleg . Go to the ML lounge, have a wander and a drink, then go to the SS. I always like going to multiple lounges when I have access to them.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I haven't been in the SS, but if it is a long layover as you say, I would disagree with mapleg . Go to the ML lounge, have a wander and a drink, then go to the SS. I always like going to multiple lounges when I have access to them.
I'd honestly start with the SS, and only wander back to the MLL if you get bored or want to stretch your legs.

I've done that, and then had a drink in the MLL, but even drinking the most basic options in the SS, it's still more enjoyable than the MLL. If you're there for 6 hours, alternating might make sense. Below that, just stick in the SS.

I know some people who refuse to board their flight until they have visited every lounge they have access to. I'd much rather stick to the best one.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd honestly start with the SS, and only wander back to the MLL if you get bored or want to stretch your legs.

I've done that, and then had a drink in the MLL, but even drinking the most basic options in the SS, it's still more enjoyable than the MLL. If you're there for 6 hours, alternating might make sense. Below that, just stick in the SS.

I know some people who refuse to board their flight until they have visited every lounge they have access to. I'd much rather stick to the best one.
We have 8 hours so we may do both. I've seen the menus at the SS and all of the cocktails look fabulous so I may just stay there and maybe my husband and son wander. I want to try all of the cocktails but unfortunately that might get me booted from my flight. Is there free wifi in the SS? Only my husband's work phone will work internationally but we will have other devices with us.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:12 am

We have 8 hours so we may do both. I've seen the menus at the SS and all of the cocktails look fabulous so I may just stay there and maybe my husband and son wander. I want to try all of the cocktails but unfortunately that might get me booted from my flight. Is there free wifi in the SS? Only my husband's work phone will work internationally but we will have other devices with us.
Okay with 8 hours you may want to wander at some point.

There's free wifi in both lounges, and in the main terminal area.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
You will need to go to the MLL if you want to shower after dinner (in the SS) before your flight. Tell the SS desk this so you get notified when there is availability for the shower in the MLL
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
No one has mentioned the excellent French champagne. Properly served in flutes and cold. Excellent. The only problem is that the lounge is not open. Hopefully soon.

Have a great celebratory trip.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.