Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Nov 26, 2023, 6:59 am
  #2011  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
I'm not sure what the policy is but there are two things worth considering here:
  1. Do you like the new routing provided by AC? This is really important since one of the things you should always try to do when an airline cancels/schedule changes like this is to come out ahead than when you began. If that means flying Business instead of Premium Economy or changing a two connection route down to one connection, the better!
  2. Is the difference in taxes and fees significant and is it worth fighting for? If we are talking something like $15 or $20 here then I would find it hard to spend the time arguing for that money back. Your time is valuable, and if you end up profiting from this cancellation by AC putting you on a more direct routing, then haven't you come out ahead on the transaction? Sure you may point out that it's the principle that matters, but remember the interest on the principle is very minor indeed!
I'll also note for point 1 that AC/Aeroplan also has an online rebooking tool that you can use when a partner cancels a flight like this which was what I used when BR cancelled my Aeroplan flight to ICN from LAX via TPE which ultimately I selected a nonstop OZ flight on their A380. Unsure if you were given that option but hopefully this new route is significantly better than what you had with Bamboo.

-RooFlyer88
I don't like the new routing at all - the new routing is with AC rather than SQ. But AC says there is no other availability. The difference in taxes is also more than $100. What is the proper channel to fight?
traveller12345 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:14 am
  #2012  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM
Posts: 23,238
Originally Posted by traveller12345
I don't like the new routing at all - the new routing is with AC rather than SQ. But AC says there is no other availability. The difference in taxes is also more than $100. What is the proper channel to fight?
There isnt You can accept the (significant) downgrade to AC or refund.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:19 am
  #2013  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by traveller12345
I don't like the new routing at all - the new routing is with AC rather than SQ. But AC says there is no other availability. The difference in taxes is also more than $100. What is the proper channel to fight?
How were you informed of this new flight? Was it via email? Did they call you? The reason I ask is that often times yes AC will show you the new itinerary they booked for you when a partner cancels like that but there will be a link hidden on the email where you can select a new flight option. So long as you haven't "accepted" the new flight there should be some latitude (pardon the AC pun). You may need to go hunting around the email but from my experience usually there is a rebooking option somewhere where you are given a search engine that shows a ton of different flight options.

If they called you or simply emailed you with what they had and that's it, then you may very well need to get on the phone and reach out to them. And I say this as someone who had their awards flights cancelled during the pandemic due to routes getting canned left and right with Aeroplan rebooking me onto paid Etihad and United tickets to/from Australia (yes the agent on the other end did have to run this past revenue management for their "approval" since we were talking about AC buying cash fares to recover my flights). You may need to hang up and call again to find someone but I am confident that there will be someone aware of the policy.

But what is important right now, and I would encourage you to do this exercise, is open up Google flights and start piecing together the itinerary you'd like to for each leg that has already been booked. So no, you can't change the origin and destination, and you must stick to partners that AC has (i.e. don't expect they'll throw you on a JAL flight for instance). But if you could find a suitable replacement, maybe involving SQ or NH have that at the ready and be prepared to present that to them. Remind them that this is an extraordinary incident that a partner like Bamboo would pull out of a major market like that and consequently you are asking for some flexibility to put together an itinerary that will get you as close to what you had before as possible and then spit out the itinerary you found on flights (i.e. have the flight numbers and everything ready).

-RooFlyer88
kangarooflyer88 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:46 am
  #2014  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
How were you informed of this new flight? Was it via email? Did they call you? The reason I ask is that often times yes AC will show you the new itinerary they booked for you when a partner cancels like that but there will be a link hidden on the email where you can select a new flight option. So long as you haven't "accepted" the new flight there should be some latitude (pardon the AC pun). You may need to go hunting around the email but from my experience usually there is a rebooking option somewhere where you are given a search engine that shows a ton of different flight options.

If they called you or simply emailed you with what they had and that's it, then you may very well need to get on the phone and reach out to them. And I say this as someone who had their awards flights cancelled during the pandemic due to routes getting canned left and right with Aeroplan rebooking me onto paid Etihad and United tickets to/from Australia (yes the agent on the other end did have to run this past revenue management for their "approval" since we were talking about AC buying cash fares to recover my flights). You may need to hang up and call again to find someone but I am confident that there will be someone aware of the policy.

But what is important right now, and I would encourage you to do this exercise, is open up Google flights and start piecing together the itinerary you'd like to for each leg that has already been booked. So no, you can't change the origin and destination, and you must stick to partners that AC has (i.e. don't expect they'll throw you on a JAL flight for instance). But if you could find a suitable replacement, maybe involving SQ or NH have that at the ready and be prepared to present that to them. Remind them that this is an extraordinary incident that a partner like Bamboo would pull out of a major market like that and consequently you are asking for some flexibility to put together an itinerary that will get you as close to what you had before as possible and then spit out the itinerary you found on flights (i.e. have the flight numbers and everything ready).

-RooFlyer88
Thank you. Also, does anyone know if the involuntary change also subject to the same routing rules? One agent said I could take the AC flight a day after instead of having a 12+ hour layover so I could get some rest, while another agent said I could not and all connections need to be within 24 hours under the routing rules. I don't know which is correct...
traveller12345 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:57 am
  #2015  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by traveller12345
Thank you. Also, does anyone know if the involuntary change also subject to the same routing rules? One agent said I could take the AC flight a day after instead of having a 12+ hour layover so I could get some rest, while another agent said I could not and all connections need to be within 24 hours under the routing rules. I don't know which is correct...
My 3 recent involuntary changes on rewards bookings all allowed me to make changes +/- 3 days.
First one, I saw the options online and could select on my own. Latter 2 bookings, I did not see other-day options, but calling in and asking for date changes were allowed so I took advantage of moving the same suggested re-accommodating flights, but for 2-3 days later.
CanadianMike likes this.
JJonahJ is online now  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:58 pm
  #2016  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 845
Originally Posted by traveller12345
I don't like the new routing at all - the new routing is with AC rather than SQ. But AC says there is no other availability. The difference in taxes is also more than $100. What is the proper channel to fight?
I would find the routing that I want and then call in and request that specific routing as opposed to taking what is offered if it's not something that suits me.
billdokes is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:05 pm
  #2017  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: YYC
Programs: No
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by rankourabu
100% no. Some are lower, some are higher.
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Possibly, if it's a non-UA flight. Highly unlikely if it is.

Also unlikely.

No.
Originally Posted by zappy312
Maybe, Maybe, Not Necessarily

Thanks all. Looks like I have to do some more research!
rataplan is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2023, 11:27 am
  #2018  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 16
Thanks, all. I was able to change the routing to something I can live with.

The last segment is booked in AC (fare code shows J) - am I able to get miles on this flight? If so, can I credit it to another *A program? I won't attempt to get the difference in taxes back.
traveller12345 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:34 pm
  #2019  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by traveller12345
Thanks, all. I was able to change the routing to something I can live with.

The last segment is booked in AC (fare code shows J) - am I able to get miles on this flight? If so, can I credit it to another *A program? I won't attempt to get the difference in taxes back.
No, award flights are not eligible for earning miles, in no program I'm aware of.*

*except BA's terrible IT system thats somehow worse than AC, but it's more of a happy coincidence we don't talk about there...
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:20 am
  #2020  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 733
I'm in a situation where adding a YUL-YTO positioning segment at the end of a booked itinerary forces repricing of the itinerary by 50% (yay dynamic pricing). But if I book it as a separate ticket, it's exceptionally cheap.

Is the move clearly to book it on my own? Is there any loss in IRROPs protection between me booking it online vs call centre (presuming they can just drop it under the same PNR)? If so, can the AP call centre book it as a separate leg to avoid repricing the whole ticket and only charge me the individual segment's fare?

My understanding is I should just book it separately, call AC to link the two PNRs, and then AC policy says I will be protected in event of disruption from my inbound (routing is /many partners/-CDG-[AC]-YUL, trying to add YUL-[AC]-YTO, respecting the added MCT with some further buffer on top).

Will partner airlines usually "see" PNR linking and tag the bag accordingly (so need need to collect at customs and re-check the bag), or is it just buried in the notes and would require explicitly asking to interline? Flight is for my partner's early return from our holiday trip so trying to plan and tell them what they need to know accordingly.
Nazdoom is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:16 am
  #2021  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 64
I booked AC reward via JFK-BRU-SIN for next year. Is there a way to make SIN into a stopover so that the final itinerary is JFK-BRU-SIN-BKK? Would I have to cancel and rebook, and is this easy to do over the phone?
My original plan was to find a return flight from SIN but I ended up finding QSuite availability via BKK back to JFK.
Remxed is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:25 pm
  #2022  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by Remxed
I booked AC reward via JFK-BRU-SIN for next year. Is there a way to make SIN into a stopover so that the final itinerary is JFK-BRU-SIN-BKK? Would I have to cancel and rebook, and is this easy to do over the phone?
My original plan was to find a return flight from SIN but I ended up finding QSuite availability via BKK back to JFK.
You can just call in and make the change over the phone. Very easy to do. Just tell them you want to add a stopover in SIN and fly SIN-BKK on day X. If you don't have a flexible reward, this will trigger a change fee.
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:05 pm
  #2023  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by Remxed
I booked AC reward via JFK-BRU-SIN for next year. Is there a way to make SIN into a stopover so that the final itinerary is JFK-BRU-SIN-BKK? Would I have to cancel and rebook, and is this easy to do over the phone?
My original plan was to find a return flight from SIN but I ended up finding QSuite availability via BKK back to JFK.
Might be cheaper to book a separate SIN-BKK flight, as adding that flight to your itinerary puts you over the 11,000 mile limit, at least according to GCM.
kalderlake is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:06 pm
  #2024  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: YVR
Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 34
Can anyone help me to see if this route valid: YVR to HAN, stopover for 2 week, then HAN to PVG.
I called in and the csr said it's back track so can not just pay 5K point to make HAN at stopover city, and it has to be price at 2 one way ticket

Thank you!
ladymama is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:33 pm
  #2025  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by ladymama
Can anyone help me to see if this route valid: YVR to HAN, stopover for 2 week, then HAN to PVG.
I called in and the csr said it's back track so can not just pay 5K point to make HAN at stopover city, and it has to be price at 2 one way ticket

Thank you!
How are you getting to/from HAN? Nothing obviously wrong with that, unless you're trying to fly YVR-SIN-HAN//-SIN-PVG, which wouldn't be allowed. Your total routing allowed should be around 11200miles.
ladymama likes this.
Smiley90 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.