Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Friend of mine is on agent number 2 who says "if the computer doesn't bring up that routing, I can't book it".

He has YVR-SFO-FRA and wants to add an I9 FRA-LHR.
They must've hired a bunch of United agents who don't know any better. It's the only explanation I got.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:13 pm

Finally got in touch with a CS rep, and was able to book Bkk-hnd-lhr, stopover, lhr-fra-ord-Aus. Hnd-lhr is in ANA first class on the new suites, and the FRA-ORD is on Lufthansa F on the 747. I have an 1:40 connection at FRA. Not sure if I have the time or will be allowed to enter Germany to go to the FCT. Total cost was 145,000 points and $418 USD.
YOWgary, YYCCL3 and kalderlake like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diverg
Finally got in touch with a CS rep, and was able to book Bkk-hnd-lhr, stopover, lhr-fra-ord-Aus. Hnd-lhr is in ANA first class on the new suites, and the FRA-ORD is on Lufthansa F on the 747. I have an 1:40 connection at FRA. Not sure if I have the time or will be allowed to enter Germany to go to the FCT. Total cost was 145,000 points and $418 USD.
That you were able to book this should put away any idea of "MPM" because that's pretty insane of a routing.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That you were able to book this should put away any idea of "MPM" because that's pretty insane of a routing.
Besides callin AC is there a way to find out the record locator for the the ANA and Lufthansa flights? I assume they would be different then the one I got from AC.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Besides callin AC is there a way to find out the record locator for the the ANA and Lufthansa flights? I assume they would be different then the one I got from AC.
Not necessarily. If they are different, they're usually listed on the my bookings website if you click on it. You can also just try looking them up on the LH/ANA website? A majority of *A partners actually use the same record locators.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: AC 75K
Both NH and LH use Amadeus as well, so they should be the same record locator. OAL record locaters are also usually visible in MY Bookings on AC.com.

NH First in the new suites and LH First? Nice job. Curious how far out this reservation is for?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Both NH and LH use Amadeus as well, so they should be the same record locator. OAL record locaters are also usually visible in MY Bookings on AC.com.

NH First in the new suites and LH First? Nice job. Curious how far out this reservation is for?
Made it Monday night Thailand time. ANA is for this Thursday evening, and the LH flight is on January 19.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:02 am
yrp

I believe LH uses the same locator as AC now.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm new to AC. What is MPM? Yeah, the routing is kinda of crazy, but for this trip, I will have gotten to fly JAL F, ANA New F and Lufthansa 747-8i F. Just wish I knew if I can even enter Germany to go to the FCT. May be a mute point anyway with only a 1:40 connection.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm new to AC. What is MPM? Yeah, the routing is kinda of crazy, but for this trip, I will have gotten to fly JAL F, ANA New F and Lufthansa 747-8i F. Just wish I knew if I can even enter Germany to go to the FCT. May be a mute point anyway with only a 1:40 connection.
MPM = maximum permitted mileage.

It used to be that an award can only be a certain amount longer than the most direct routing, e.g. in your case "BKK-AUS" is the routing, so however you fly can only be a certain amount longer than that. But your routing is much, MUCH longer than the most direct routing, so MPM appears to be essentially gone.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC A
Wanted to share a bit of a positive booking story from this morning.

Called in around 07:30 ET to book a multisegment itinerary in business class. I waited for an agent for about 45 minutes. Once the agent answered, I explained what I would like to book, and he explained that he was brand new and this was his first booking after training. He started searching for flights, but wasn't exactly coming up with what I had planned; AC segments and limited points available, so I could only take certain flights or risk exceeding available points. After a few moments he put me on hold and grabbed a supervisor. I didn't have high hopes at this point. I then read out all of my desired flight segments one by one. I was placed on another hold for 10-15 minutes, and he came back with 75% of them reserved. I worked with him to find the last couple segments, and everything was booked as requested. The experience was pleasant, and it took about 1.25 hours to book with the agent. It just goes to show that a multisegment itinerary can be booked, even with a brand new agent!

I was able to book the following March trip from Toronto to the Maldives, with a stop in Abu Dhabi along the way:

YYZ-YUL AC J A220
YUL-ZRH Swiss J A330 (Used AC PNR to select seats on Swiss website)
ZRH-AUH Etihad J 789, 3 day stop over (Used AC PNR to select seats on Etihad website)
AUH-BAH Gulf Air J A320 (Gulf Air website does not recognize AC PNR, need to call airline to ask)
BAH-MLE Gulf Air J A321Neo with lie flat, Destination
MLE-BAH Gulf Air J A321Neo
BAH-LHR Gulf Air J 789
LHR-YYZ AC J 789
Total Points: 410000 (2 persons + 5000 each for the stop over)
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:19 am

Has anyone had luck adding segments in the South Pacific to bookings? Aeroplan search turns up many phantom searches, i.e. MEL-BNE-SYD-AKL-RAR, but if I just go and search AKL-RAR I get nothing.

Are routings like this bookable through the call centre? I'm looking to do IAD-AUH(stop)-MEL-AKL-RAR(destination) as much in J as possible, but before calling I wanted to see whether anyone knows if these are bookable at all without playing hopscotch. I'm also considering NAN and PPT, and getting similar things. Phantom segments seem to be a NZ phenomenon, while jumping around multiple destinations unnecessarily seems to be with Virgin Australia.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aznfreak007
status code RQ means waitlisted, i guess that you are not being lied to. before covid, i had a ticket with eva segments and it took only about a day or two to issue.

you need some comments from other folks who had experienced booking eva recently in order to understand the delay. best of luck.
Hi anzfreak007,
Just give you an update, after a couple of phone call going nowhere, I decide to cancel the TPE-HAN segment, and the next day call again to meg the same segment on the same date TPE-HAN and it working perfectly well, all segment YVR-TPE-HAN get confirm on the spot. So what I think is the first rep may made an error, instead confirm the segment, she just put that on the waitlist.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YOWflyer81
Has anyone had luck adding segments in the South Pacific to bookings? Aeroplan search turns up many phantom searches, i.e. MEL-BNE-SYD-AKL-RAR, but if I just go and search AKL-RAR I get nothing.

Are routings like this bookable through the call centre? I'm looking to do IAD-AUH(stop)-MEL-AKL-RAR(destination) as much in J as possible, but before calling I wanted to see whether anyone knows if these are bookable at all without playing hopscotch. I'm also considering NAN and PPT, and getting similar things. Phantom segments seem to be a NZ phenomenon, while jumping around multiple destinations unnecessarily seems to be with Virgin Australia.
Since that routing exceeds the non-stop distance of IAD-RAR by more than 175%(!), I would be extremely surprised if that routing were valid.

Same issue with all other islands in the South Pacific.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Since that routing exceeds the non-stop distance of IAD-RAR by more than 175%(!), I would be extremely surprised if that routing were valid.

Same issue with all other islands in the South Pacific.
On the other hand, poster above was able to book
BKK-HND-LHR-FRA-ORD-AUS (14555mi)

Where BKK-AUS is 9176mi.

160% of non-stop!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.