Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: AC 25K
Rebooking Options for Cancelled ZRH-YVR Flight?

I'm impacted by the YVR-ZRH flight schedule cancellations for my (business reward) CDG-ZRH-YVR flight on September 15th.
AC has re-routed me through YYZ, which in these days of Covid... I'd prefer to arrive in Canada directly at my destination airport.
I need to keep my ZRH connection.

My preferred routing is ZRH-LHR-YVR... but ZRH-LHR shows no award space for Sept 15th...
Is it possible to get the ZRH-LHR sector without available reward space?...
and will I have to pay the additional change in taxes of $250?

Just checking my options before calling in to reschedule flights.
Thanks!!!

Also... does this trigger EC 261 compensation, as I arrive at YVR 5 hours late with their YYZ reschedule???
Old May 20, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by bual
Rebooking Options for Cancelled ZRH-YVR Flight?

I'm impacted by the YVR-ZRH flight schedule cancellations for my (business reward) CDG-ZRH-YVR flight on September 15th.
AC has re-routed me through YYZ, which in these days of Covid... I'd prefer to arrive in Canada directly at my destination airport.
I need to keep my ZRH connection.

My preferred routing is ZRH-LHR-YVR... but ZRH-LHR shows no award space for Sept 15th...
Is it possible to get the ZRH-LHR sector without available reward space?...
and will I have to pay the additional change in taxes of $250?

Just checking my options before calling in to reschedule flights.
Thanks!!!

Also... does this trigger EC 261 compensation, as I arrive at YVR 5 hours late with their YYZ reschedule???
AC will only open space on their own metal. You won’t incur any additional fees.

Given the cancellation is for a flight >14 days in the future, you are not owed compensation.
bual likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Aircraft type isn't guaranteed. But it's worth trying.
Operating carrier is, at least in the US. If it was a change from mainline to Jazz, you'd have the option of a change back to mainline.
HSBC likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 5:20 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Cancellation from Quebec. Advice please

As always , it is silly small flights that cause the most inconvenience. We were due today to fly YQB-YYZ in J this evening at 18.20. AC cancelled the flight and “protected” us on the 5.00 am.

As there was a two hour hold on the phone, I went to the airport. The reason was due to ATC. From the conversation between two agents, it sounded like ground problems at YYZ. Thus, said they it is not AC’s fault so no accommodation would be offered. I got the flight changed to something more suitable.

Was I told correctly? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As always , it is silly small flights that cause the most inconvenience. We were due today to fly YQB-YYZ in J this evening at 18.20. AC cancelled the flight and “protected” us on the 5.00 am.

As there was a two hour hold on the phone, I went to the airport. The reason was due to ATC. From the conversation between two agents, it sounded like ground problems at YYZ. Thus, said they it is not AC’s fault so no accommodation would be offered. I got the flight changed to something more suitable.

Was I told correctly? Any advice would be much appreciated.
There was a ground delay program in effect at YYZ yesterday due to the ongoing runway construction which limited traffic and as such the airlines had to thin their schedules.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:05 pm

Air Canada ogg to yyj

I booked a flight next April 2023. Air Canada changed the flight…..it is from ogg to yyj. The original flight was a red eye and got back to Victoria the following morning. It looks like air Canada got rid of the red eye and just had an afternoon flight, there is no connection to Victoria thoufh until the following day. My dilemma is if I should accept the new flights or just hold out and see if they add the red eye flight back……also the flight going out has changed but when you book it that flight is not there lol doesn’t make sense……it is so far away so Peob don’t need to stress yet but just want to know if anyone else has had this happen….thanks
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Just got an email from AC stating that they have put me in economy on ICN to YYZ. Now I paid PE for this sector and I cannot even change my flight or date online as AC would not let me change anything on my booking online. The wait time is over 2 hours on an International call.
What are my options to change my date to fly at least on PE which is what I have paid for such a long distance flight? m
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Just got an email from AC stating that they have put me in economy on ICN to YYZ. Now I paid PE for this sector and I cannot even change my flight or date online as AC would not let me change anything on my booking online. The wait time is over 2 hours on an International call.
What are my options to change my date to fly at least on PE which is what I have paid for such a long distance flight? m
You should certainly be able to change your date to a flight that offers PE or get a rerouting to a flight with PE. It appers that you need to call in though, is there a number in this list you could call without paying international fees?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:32 pm

Downgraded from J (Flex Reward) to Economy?

Hello,
I booked a Business flex reward ticket YYZ-LIS, they now changed the aircraft so there are fewer J seats and they automatically assigned me an economy seat.
My children and husband are travelling in J as well and were not moved luckily.
Of course I'd like to travel with them in J, can anyone suggest what can I do about it and if not what compensation could be requested?
Thank you!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
You should certainly be able to change your date to a flight that offers PE or get a rerouting to a flight with PE. It appers that you need to call in though, is there a number in this list you could call without paying international fees?
There is none where I am though I should be able to get thru to the GSA of Air Canada in Thailand on Monday. The issue of my booking online started when AC changed my flight on my leg from YYZ to BKK. The ICN flight got delayed and hence they changed to the NRT flight. From that time, I have not been able to change my date online. Even the call centre was unable to sort it out for me online. Now I get this email of me being downgraded to economy due to operational reasons, but it still shows as a 789. I have a couple of weeks to go so hopefully once I get to their GSA office in BKK, they should be able to help me.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Schedule change - can I change my partner award

Hello all, I am asking for some help.

I booked a partner award to Europe from Canada. 80K The first leg on Air Canada didn't have space so I decided to spend the extra 10K to get the full flex business fare. So my booking is Flight #1 "P" Air Canada connecting to Flight #2 "I" on LH.

Anyhow there was a schedule change, and Air Canada leg is now operated by Jazz on a RJ. To me the RJ downgrade is not worth the extra 10K (80K partner award VS 70K) so I was wondering can I call and get it reticketed as a 70K ticket and downgrade the jazz segment, keeping my original "I" class seat on the partner segment to Europe?

I am not that familiar with AC and was hoping before I wait on hold if this is a possibility. As well if I call and make this change, will I loose my option to make 1 free award change in the future in case something happens like new Covid regulations or something that would prohibit me from travelling. There also is of course no "I" availability on LH will that be a problem or do I just keep the original "I" space that my ticket is ticketed with?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
Anyhow there was a schedule change, and Air Canada leg is now operated by Jazz on a RJ. To me the RJ downgrade is not worth the extra 10K (80K partner award VS 70K) so I was wondering can I call and get it reticketed as a 70K ticket and downgrade the jazz segment, keeping my original "I" class seat on the partner segment to Europe?

I am not that familiar with AC and was hoping before I wait on hold if this is a possibility. As well if I call and make this change, will I loose my option to make 1 free award change in the future in case something happens like new Covid regulations or something that would prohibit me from travelling. There also is of course no "I" availability on LH will that be a problem or do I just keep the original "I" space that my ticket is ticketed with?
My answer is "it depends". I have a ticket where an AC Z segment is married to AC I and SK I, so it wasn't possible for them to change just the first flight, they would need to search for the entire routing again, requiring the I partner space. If your ticket isn't a married segment, they might be able to search and replace the first segment, but again, pricing may fluctuate since it's an AC segment.

There's unlimited free changes until the end of the month (for now), so as long as you call to change it before June 30th, you'll still get 1 more free change afterwards. You'll lose free cancellation though by downgrading from Business Flex to a mixed cabin ticket with business lowest (assuming you're not SE).
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by AC71
I booked a flight next April 2023. Air Canada changed the flight…..it is from ogg to yyj. The original flight was a red eye and got back to Victoria the following morning. It looks like air Canada got rid of the red eye and just had an afternoon flight, there is no connection to Victoria thoufh until the following day. My dilemma is if I should accept the new flights or just hold out and see if they add the red eye flight back……also the flight going out has changed but when you book it that flight is not there lol doesn’t make sense……it is so far away so Peob don’t need to stress yet but just want to know if anyone else has had this happen….thanks
You could get in touch with them and remind them that Canadian law requires rebooking on any airline if they can't get you out within nine hours. This is on award and revenue tickets. If you are willing to go via another hub they will do it.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: ba silver
Air Canada' s COC defines an aircraft change resulting in a class of service no longer being available as a schedule change.

As such, you should be able to change to a flight that does offer your ticketed cabin without charge

Originally Posted by gbat
Hello,
I booked a Business flex reward ticket YYZ-LIS, they now changed the aircraft so there are fewer J seats and they automatically assigned me an economy seat.
My children and husband are travelling in J as well and were not moved luckily.
Of course I'd like to travel with them in J, can anyone suggest what can I do about it and if not what compensation could be requested?
Thank you!
Is your flight on AC ? Their COC allows rebooking if an aircraft change results in a cabin no longer being available. It could be that the aircraft simply does not have enough seats to accommodate all and they chose to downgrade an award ticket.

You could ask for a reroute. AC is usually very good with this. Or you can hope a seat opens up in your ticketed cabin. If even one seat opens up Arrival Canada will ( and is required to) rebook in your ticketed cabin.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 9, 2022 at 6:46 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Just got an email from AC stating that they have put me in economy on ICN to YYZ. Now I paid PE for this sector
[...]

What are my options to change my date to fly at least on PE which is what I have paid for such a long distance flight?
This makes no sense. AC doesn't have any aircraft that can operate ICN-YYZ that don't have PY.

Do you actually want to change dates, or do you just want them to put you back in PY?
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.