Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Mileage Runs - Ideas & Plans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Incorrect. That's only for earning Aeroplan points.

SQM, which govern elite status, are not changing (as far as they've told us).

Thanks. So let's say next year, with this new plan implemented, I buy a $2,000 tikcket in J, YYZ-SFO (return) for travel in 2022, how many miles in total will I get? How many of those miles will be SQM, and how many will be AE points.? I am S100K.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Thanks. So let's say next year, with this new plan implemented, I buy a $2,000 tikcket in J, YYZ-SFO (return) for travel in 2022, how many miles in total will I get? How many of those miles will be SQM, and how many will be AE points.? I am S100K.
Something like 6,760 SQM and 22,000 Aeroplan points, assuming you select the bonus miles.

See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...miles-aqd.html

Here's a direct link to the cow's calculator with your scenario.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Except we have no idea how the status bonus will work
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Except we have no idea how the status bonus will work
Hence "something like"
Bohemian1 and YOWgary like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadianMike

Willing to share the rough dates you're seeing these prices?
Broadly speaking, "4Q"

I haven't to to the point of nailing down precise dates, so I think most of my list was plucked from mid/late October.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I am unable to duplicate that and despite my back feeling the pain already willing to try it!

I booked 10 one-way Flex fare flights between YOW-YVR ($154 & $ 170) for daily mileage runs in a week. Because of the HST in Ontario, I booked one-way trips to save a few dollars and avoid the extra tax. If you go standard it's $113 YOW-YVR and $102 YVR-YOW. Land in YVR, eat lunch in the MLL and then right back on the plane home.

The whole pandemic soluctin in Canada has been a poop show, so I do not know what the fall may bring, so I won't gamble on that. YOW - YVR is the furthest I can travel in Canada for 7 CPM, so I am using my many credits from last year to fund this. Yes AC does make many changes to booked flights so I have to be flexible.
I'm also now YOW-based and considering the same. Are you concerned at all about sched. changes affecting your plans for the same day turn and ending up having to overnight in YVR?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
I'm also now YOW-based and considering the same. Are you concerned at all about sched. changes affecting your plans for the same day turn and ending up having to overnight in YVR?
Well, the most likely outcome is YVR-YOW getting cancelled, in which case there'll still be a 1:xx pm YVR-YYZ that even under current restrictions will still get you home the same night. Even if that failed, there's always the redeye.
martyYOW and WesternCDN like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Yes, so many of my flights have been cancelled or changed

What YOWgary said is what I hope for, ideally, nothing changes - With more people booking these flights the flights should be good, lol
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:25 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Tempting to jump on this YOW bandwagon. Question is would segment running be smarter? It's also tougher for me. I'd have to position to YVR from YYJ, then position to YOW to do the same day turns. I wonder how many consecutive days I could fly back and forth for before getting annoyed. YOW hotels aren't all that cheap either. Also max 8 service means no wifi right?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Tempting to jump on this YOW bandwagon. Question is would segment running be smarter? It's also tougher for me. I'd have to position to YVR from YYJ, then position to YOW to do the same day turns. I wonder how many consecutive days I could fly back and forth for before getting annoyed. YOW hotels aren't all that cheap either. Also max 8 service means no wifi right?
Woof. Looking at August, YVR-YYZ return can be had for $235 Standard / $468 Flex, but YYJ-YVR-YYZ starts at $653/727.
marke190 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Not really segment/mileage runs as I have a purpose to the flights other than status but flying far more segments than I would otherwise do

Flying this in a week YXC>YVR>YYC>YUL>YOW>YYZ>YEG>YYC>YVR>YXC with multi-day stops in YOW and YEG

I also have a YXC>YVR>YYC>YYZ>YOW>YUL>YYZ>YYC>YVR>YXC with stops in YOW and YUL coming up in June.

Being based near YXC means I don't get the cheap fares without a drive to YYC or adding on a positioning flight but since need to get back to YOW a few times, I'm happy to add some AQDs on as well.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:41 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
For those doing the Ottawa runs, are you coming right back and staying on the secure side of the airport?

Or are you overnighting in Ottawa?

It seems that as long as you'd clear the CATSA COVID screening at your point of departure, you wouldn't have to face another one for your return if you stayed on the secure side. This would make your risk in having to self isolate for 14 days at a remote destination a whole lot less likely.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
For those doing the Ottawa runs, are you coming right back and staying on the secure side of the airport?

Or are you overnighting in Ottawa?

It seems that as long as you'd clear the CATSA COVID screening at your point of departure, you wouldn't have to face another one for your return if you stayed on the secure side. This would make your risk in having to self isolate for 14 days at a remote destination a whole lot less likely.
For me, it's staying cheap and quick! I get an hour and a half in YVR so it's down to the MLL for lunch and back on the plane. I live an hour out of YOW so overnight is easy for me, but I am considering staying at the Garden Inn for $93 a night? I will be flying June 1,2,4,5,6,19. May squeeze in some additional flights as with the lock down some folks may be cancelling and fares drop?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:18 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
For me, it's staying cheap and quick! I get an hour and a half in YVR so it's down to the MLL for lunch and back on the plane. I live an hour out of YOW so overnight is easy for me, but I am considering staying at the Garden Inn for $93 a night? I will be flying June 1,2,4,5,6,19. May squeeze in some additional flights as with the lock down some folks may be cancelling and fares drop?
I guess that there is that risk if you leave the airport... although at the moment, the YVR airport is pretty un-exciting. Even some of the food and beverage on the secure side is pretty much shuttered. Great to know- thx
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:13 pm

Time to figure out the YOW outDOor DO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.