Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Mileage Runs - Ideas & Plans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well if you book anything, let me know. Or if there's something has reasonably priced SFO-YYZ-your trip-YYZ-SFO.
Will do - and I'll make the same request to you.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
I found these Lat fares from ZRH-YYZ but not FCO when I was looking at December. Will be booking one as an emergency chute on my Dec MR if Brazil is still a no fly zone...

CC
Yep, looks like a decent backup plan.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Well this looks like it’ll be a fun thread. I’m getting some interesting ideas from fellow posters.
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
GRU fares have gone up, but there were some decent sub-10cpm PY fares from both SFO and YYZ a few months ago.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What would be great for MRs is some nice YXY-YYT fares that allowed immediate turns so that one need not worry about quarantines and travel restrictions.
For a very scenic tour of Canada it looks like yxy-yvr-yeg-yyz-yul-yhz-yyt-yyr-yyt-yhz-yul-yyz-yvr-yxy is doable in Flex for about $1080 or Comfort for $1200 most dates this summer. Flex would net 9879 SQM or Comfort 11,361. Not the very best CPM but would certainly make for an interesting long weekend adventure if you don’t want to cross the border.
marke190 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by fly_yag
For a very scenic tour of Canada it looks like yxy-yvr-yeg-yyz-yul-yhz-yyt-yyr-yyt-yhz-yul-yyz-yvr-yxy is doable in Flex for about $1080 or Comfort for $1200 most dates this summer. Flex would net 9879 SQM or Comfort 11,361. Not the very best CPM but would certainly make for an interesting long weekend adventure if you don’t want to cross the border.
My back hurts just reading that.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting. How long would it take to fly that, with how terrible connections are these days? And how did you build that out, Matrix? Google Flights? I'm wondering whether dropping YEG, YUL, and YYR might make it much more efficient at the cost of relatively few miles. If you're segment running, those are great, but YEG adds only about 100 miles (before any CoS) and YUL ~15 miles. YYR should be a little over 500 miles each way, which is a decent chunk of miles, but how much time does it chew up? Then again, it may add those ~1,000 miles at very low cpm over stopping at YYT.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
It looks like the SQ HKG-SIN flights have just been zeroed out for now ... I assume they chose to do that vs cancel the flights. I was just looking at random dates & flights, so it may also have been happening with other airlines & destinations too - I didn't comprehensively research it. It will be interesting to see when international flight availability starts to open up again ...

Old Apr 2, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting. How long would it take to fly that, with how terrible connections are these days? And how did you build that out, Matrix? Google Flights? I'm wondering whether dropping YEG, YUL, and YYR might make it much more efficient at the cost of relatively few miles. If you're segment running, those are great, but YEG adds only about 100 miles (before any CoS) and YUL ~15 miles. YYR should be a little over 500 miles each way, which is a decent chunk of miles, but how much time does it chew up? Then again, it may add those ~1,000 miles at very low cpm over stopping at YYT.
Found it using Matrix/Google Flights - see example here. YXY-YVR-YYZ-YYT-YYR return is doable in 24 hours outbound and 21 return which would net 9,700 in Flex or 11,155 in Comfort. I'm tempted to give it a go just to see two corners of the country I've never had a chance to visit. Could also make for a pretty amusing YXY and YYR combination Do if there were any other takers!
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Found it using Matrix/Google Flights - see example here. YXY-YVR-YYZ-YYT-YYR return is doable in 24 hours outbound and 21 return which would net 9,700 in Flex or 11,155 in Comfort. I'm tempted to give it a go just to see two corners of the country I've never had a chance to visit. Could also make for a pretty amusing YXY and YYR combination Do if there were any other takers!
I am unable to duplicate that and despite my back feeling the pain already willing to try it!

I booked 10 one-way Flex fare flights between YOW-YVR ($154 & $ 170) for daily mileage runs in a week. Because of the HST in Ontario, I booked one-way trips to save a few dollars and avoid the extra tax. If you go standard it's $113 YOW-YVR and $102 YVR-YOW. Land in YVR, eat lunch in the MLL and then right back on the plane home.

The whole pandemic soluctin in Canada has been a poop show, so I do not know what the fall may bring, so I won't gamble on that. YOW - YVR is the furthest I can travel in Canada for 7 CPM, so I am using my many credits from last year to fund this. Yes AC does make many changes to booked flights so I have to be flexible.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 2, 2021 at 8:15 pm Reason: Profanity
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I am unable to duplicate that and despite my back feeling the pain already willing to try it!

I booked 10 one-way Flex fare flights between YOW-YVR ($154 & $ 170) for daily mileage runs in a week. Because of the HST in Ontario, I booked one-way trips to save a few dollars and avoid the extra tax. If you go standard it's $113 YOW-YVR and $102 YVR-YOW. Land in YVR, eat lunch in the MLL and then right back on the plane home.

The whole pandemic soluctin in Canada has been a poop show, so I do not know what the fall may bring, so I won't gamble on that. YOW - YVR is the furthest I can travel in Canada for 7 CPM, so I am using my many credits from last year to fund this. Yes AC does make many changes to booked flights so I have to be flexible.
​​​​​​I plan to book YOW-YVR for this purpose as well, and I doubt those flights will operate. We'll end up getting routed through YYZ or YUL.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by YOWgary
​​​​​​I plan to book YOW-YVR for this purpose as well, and I doubt those flights will operate. We'll end up getting routed through YYZ or YUL.
I believe you may be right as this is the only non-stop daily flight. On a couple of these flights I am the only one with an assigned seat, lol and we are only two months away. If we do go through YYZ/YUL then it's an extra 250 Points but it's the extra time I do not want to invest. This route appears to be the sweet spot, but I have also seen similar pricing YYZ-YVR. We also have YOW-YYZ for $74 one-way in Standard or $95 in Flex, however, when combining through other cities the pricing changes higher? I also tried booking these routes through United.com and nada.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by canopus27
As of now, I see:
  • YYZ-ICN-TPE return in PY for $1600 for almost 19K SQM, or about 8.5 cpm
  • YYZ-NRT-SIN return in PY is about $2300 for 23.5K SQM, or 9.8 cpm

Willing to share the rough dates you're seeing these prices?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
I see a major flaw in all of your plans to do mileage runs. AC has mentioned that later this year they plan to introudce changes to the way we earn miles. Currently, it's based on miles traveled. The new plan is to earn miles based on the value of your ticket. Please see: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ir-canada.html

This means the $300 r/t fare, YOW-YVR would only earn you 2100 miles return (assuming you are Super Elite, and the base fare is $300).Today however you would earn 4400 miles return. Huge difference.

With the introuduction of new points structure, you could just buy a $20K fare to anywhere, and you would basically qualify for S100K status. Correct?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I see a major flaw in all of your plans to do mileage runs. AC has mentioned that later this year they plan to introudce changes to the way we earn miles. Currently, it's based on miles traveled. The new plan is to earn miles based on the value of your ticket.

[...]

With the introuduction of new points structure, you could just buy a $20K fare to anywhere, and you would basically qualify for S100K status. Correct?
Incorrect. That's only for earning Aeroplan points.

SQM, which govern elite status, are not changing (as far as they've told us).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.