Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
I am including the link and full text of the AC Press Release issued on March 31 2021 so we have a record of the exact wording.
Mods are free to move this into a post with a reference note in the wiki.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021-03-31-Air-Canada-Further-Extends-Aeroplan-Elite-Status-and-Provides-Additional-Flexibility-for-All-Members

Air Canada Further Extends Aeroplan Elite Status and Provides Additional Flexibility for All Members
  • Members will enjoy their current Elite Status through the end of 2022
  • Validity of all Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 extended by one full year, and valid for use until October 2022
  • Other flexible policies, including a pause on points expiry, also extended
MONTREAL, March 31, 2021 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced several updates for Aeroplan Elite Status members, ensuring their status remains in effect, to give them flexibility and certainty. The changes include the extension of current Elite Status until the end of 2022, in addition to a previous extension through 2021, as well as the possibility to accelerate their status qualification in the years ahead.

"Loyalty is a two-way street, and we understand and appreciate why so many of your travel plans are interrupted this year. For that reason, we are automatically extending Aeroplan Elite Status for an additional year—through to the end of 2022," said Mark Nasr, Senior Vice President, Products, Marketing and eCommerce at Air Canada. "These changes are some of the many ways we're recognizing our members and demonstrating our commitment to welcoming them back onboard, whenever it's the right time for them to travel again."

This is the second year Air Canada has extended the status of its Aeroplan Elite members. In order to provide greater ease and flexibility, changes for Aeroplan Elite Status members include:

Automatic extension of 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status
All Aeroplan Elite Status for 2021 will automatically be extended through to the end of 2022.

Priority Reward Vouchers also extended
Air Canada is also extending the validity of all unused Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 by one full year, making them valid for use until October 2022.

Elite Status Qualification Jumpstart for 2022
For Aeroplan members who earn any Elite Status through their 2021 flight activity, the Status Qualifying Miles, Segments, and Dollars earned in 2021 will be honoured the next year, jumpstarting their status qualification in the years to come.

These improvements come in addition to other changes for all Aeroplan members:

Change or cancel Flight Rewards, free of charge
Aeroplan flight rewards booked through April 30, 2021 (for travel through April 2022) can be changed or cancelled free of charge, at any time. Members who opt to cancel will receive all of their Aeroplan points back in their account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of their travel.

Temporary pause to expiration of Aeroplan points
We have further paused expiry of Aeroplan points until January 31, 2022. This means that between now and January 30, 2022, any points which would have expired will not. Effective January 31, 2022, our recently improved expiration policy will apply, meaning that points will expire if an eligible transaction has not been completed prior to this date.

For more information, please visit this page.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
That's what I would have assumed but that language seems suggestive that you somehow can double rollover up to 200 SQx
No, it just says you can't use multiple credit cards to increase the maximum rollover beyond 200K.

I think this is a misconception of what a "rollover" is. If you fly 125K and make SE, you can roll over 25K, which is the excess over 100K. A rollover is basically extending the expiry of something of you've earned. You're not talking about them rolling over SQM, you're talking about them granting you extra SQM beyond what you've earned.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 4, 2021 at 12:38 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
"Where a Basic Cardmember is eligible to roll over SQM under another Aeroplan credit card, the total cumulative roll over of all SQM towards Aeroplan Elite Status cannot exceed the maximum of 200,000 SQM."

It says you can't roll over MORE than 200 SQx

But it suggests that you *can* roll over and potentially double up on multiple cards to the 200 SQx point (ie someone who earns SE and has 200 SQx in a given year can rollover 100 SQx on each of two separate cards up to a total of 200 rollover SQx)

It seems odd to me but the language of that term seems to suggest it is possible although I don't see it talked about elsewhere
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
"Where a Basic Cardmember is eligible to roll over SQM under another Aeroplan credit card, the total cumulative roll over of all SQM towards Aeroplan Elite Status cannot exceed the maximum of 200,000 SQM."

It says you can't roll over MORE than 200 SQx

But it suggests that you *can* roll over and potentially double up on multiple cards to the 200 SQx point (ie someone who earns SE and has 200 SQx in a given year can rollover 100 SQx on each of two separate cards up to a total of 200 rollover SQx)

It seems odd to me but the language of that term seems to suggest it is possible although I don't see it talked about elsewhere
Oh I see what you mean. You're suggesting that if I have two cards and 150k SQM, that I can roll over 50k with one and 50k with another.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Oh I see what you mean. You're suggesting that if I have two cards and 150k SQM, that I can roll over 50k with one and 50k with another.
Well maybe. That seems to be the implication of that language to me
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No, it doesn't suggest that, unless you decide to interpret the term "roll over" in a nonsensical way. If you fly 200K, you only have 100K to roll over, no matter how many cards you have.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Curious if the date of priority awards has been extended on the rewards themselves? I used all of mine, but just cancelled an Aeroplan booking and now have one reward that has an expiry date of October 25, 2021. Just want to make sure I don't need to reach out to AC to update the date of any rewards returned to my account.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Benner
Curious if the date of priority awards has been extended on the rewards themselves? I used all of mine, but just cancelled an Aeroplan booking and now have one reward that has an expiry date of October 25, 2021. Just want to make sure I don't need to reach out to AC to update the date of any rewards returned to my account.
Mine all still show October 2021 expiry, so it doesn't appear they've processed the extensions yet, or at least not for everyone.
Benner likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Effect of 5K lower requal benefit this year

We all know that our current status will extend again to next year but AC also announced that anyone who qualifies for at least 25K status this year will have their AQM/AQS/AQD amounts carried over to next year. My question is about the 5K lower qualification benefit - would it apply towards achieving the minimum for 25K? ie I am 50K, would I achieve 25K with only 20K AQM? (assuming I hit the $3K spend)
As an extension of that question, in a 'normal' year if I were 50K, and I selected the lower qualification benefit and only flew 30K miles, would I qualify for 35K status. (assuming I hit spend)
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:14 pm

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html

In light of this change, members who chose Lower Requalification Level as one of their 2021 Select Benefits prior to May 25 will receive a one-time deposit of 5,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 5 Status Qualifying Segments in early 2022.
It's not clear if it would also apply this year if you start with 25K status, but earn 30k SQM and 4k SQD, but I'd assume so.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html
It's not clear if it would also apply this year if you start with 25K status, but earn 30k SQM and 4k SQD, but I'd assume so.
Yeah, I got that email and it's nice to know that I will start 2022 with 5K and 5 segments.
I was curious if my current 5K lower qualification benefit helps me achieve 25K with only 20K. or would it only help me 're-achieve' 50K?
(which is irrelevant since my 50K is extended)
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by shawneve
Yeah, I got that email and it's nice to know that I will start 2022 with 5K and 5 segments.
I was curious if my current 5K lower qualification benefit helps me achieve 25K with only 20K. or would it only help me 're-achieve' 50K?
(which is irrelevant since my 50K is extended)
Oh I see. I wouldn't count on it.

Emphasis mine:
Many of our members have needed to travel during the pandemic, often for essential reasons. If you achieve any Aeroplan Elite Status based on the published qualification criteria through your 2021 flight activity with Air Canada, the Star Alliance member airlines, and other eligible airline partners, we’ll honour your 2021 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM), Segments (SQS), and Dollars (SQD) in 2022, jumpstarting your status qualification for 2022 and beyond.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
Interesting fact, for those whom have not yet selected their benefits for this year like myself, Lower Re-qualification Level is still available as an option, which contrary to the release from AC, could mean that one whom selects that today still may be eligible for the 5K SQM and 5 SQS to be issued next year, I would have a hard time imaging that if you selected that today, they would pull a fast one on you next year considering that it is still available as an option, but not ruling it out, considering it as would prefer to take E-UPs for the flight pass benefit as have worked my way through a few already
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
yeah sorry my language was unclear. I agree that its a rule that for 2022 I will need the SQD to get the threshold gifts. what i tried crappily to ask was whether a deliberate failure to obtain 20k sqd this year with a view to maximizing carry over and bonus cc sqm matters in terms of how those sqd are treated next year... If I get 50k sqd this year, start next year with 250k sqm from ac and cc carryover and cc bonus, and spend 20 k on sqd by sept 2022, do I get threshold gifts in 2022 or are the carryover/bonus sqm somehow tainted by insufficient aqd spend in 2021? thx
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by gadflyboy
yeah sorry my language was unclear. I agree that its a rule that for 2022 I will need the SQD to get the threshold gifts. what i tried crappily to ask was whether a deliberate failure to obtain 20k sqd this year with a view to maximizing carry over and bonus cc sqm matters in terms of how those sqd are treated next year... If I get 50k sqd this year, start next year with 250k sqm from ac and cc carryover and cc bonus, and spend 20 k on sqd by sept 2022, do I get threshold gifts in 2022 or are the carryover/bonus sqm somehow tainted by insufficient aqd spend in 2021? thx
@gadflyboy, if you spend 50K SQD this year, you'll start 2022 with 50K SQD, because 2021's SQx will all roll over to 2022.

How many SQM are you thinking of flying this year, if you credit everything to AC? Because if it's a lot, there's not only the CC rollover to think about, but the banked year of SE at 250K SQM.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Curious if you flew 15k miles, but then got 25K status via Everyday Status Qualification does that rollover to next year? Or do you have to qualify via SQM/SQS and SQD?

I wish the Visa Infinite Privilege let you rollover SQD in addition to SQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.