Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
I am including the link and full text of the AC Press Release issued on March 31 2021 so we have a record of the exact wording.
Mods are free to move this into a post with a reference note in the wiki.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021-03-31-Air-Canada-Further-Extends-Aeroplan-Elite-Status-and-Provides-Additional-Flexibility-for-All-Members

Air Canada Further Extends Aeroplan Elite Status and Provides Additional Flexibility for All Members
  • Members will enjoy their current Elite Status through the end of 2022
  • Validity of all Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 extended by one full year, and valid for use until October 2022
  • Other flexible policies, including a pause on points expiry, also extended
MONTREAL, March 31, 2021 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced several updates for Aeroplan Elite Status members, ensuring their status remains in effect, to give them flexibility and certainty. The changes include the extension of current Elite Status until the end of 2022, in addition to a previous extension through 2021, as well as the possibility to accelerate their status qualification in the years ahead.

"Loyalty is a two-way street, and we understand and appreciate why so many of your travel plans are interrupted this year. For that reason, we are automatically extending Aeroplan Elite Status for an additional year—through to the end of 2022," said Mark Nasr, Senior Vice President, Products, Marketing and eCommerce at Air Canada. "These changes are some of the many ways we're recognizing our members and demonstrating our commitment to welcoming them back onboard, whenever it's the right time for them to travel again."

This is the second year Air Canada has extended the status of its Aeroplan Elite members. In order to provide greater ease and flexibility, changes for Aeroplan Elite Status members include:

Automatic extension of 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status
All Aeroplan Elite Status for 2021 will automatically be extended through to the end of 2022.

Priority Reward Vouchers also extended
Air Canada is also extending the validity of all unused Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 by one full year, making them valid for use until October 2022.

Elite Status Qualification Jumpstart for 2022
For Aeroplan members who earn any Elite Status through their 2021 flight activity, the Status Qualifying Miles, Segments, and Dollars earned in 2021 will be honoured the next year, jumpstarting their status qualification in the years to come.

These improvements come in addition to other changes for all Aeroplan members:

Change or cancel Flight Rewards, free of charge
Aeroplan flight rewards booked through April 30, 2021 (for travel through April 2022) can be changed or cancelled free of charge, at any time. Members who opt to cancel will receive all of their Aeroplan points back in their account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of their travel.

Temporary pause to expiration of Aeroplan points
We have further paused expiry of Aeroplan points until January 31, 2022. This means that between now and January 30, 2022, any points which would have expired will not. Effective January 31, 2022, our recently improved expiration policy will apply, meaning that points will expire if an eligible transaction has not been completed prior to this date.

For more information, please visit this page.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Late to this thread and not relevant to the current CC vs Flight Activity debate.

I'm currently projecting to end the year at 86K SQM and 30K SQD. Does that mean that on Jan 01, 2022 I start the year with 86K SQM and 30K SQD?

If so, that'd be a complete waste of a banked SE year.

Edit: Disregard. I read the press release. SE guaranteed to Dec 31, 2022. Would only need 14K SQM in 2022 to reach SE for 2023. No need to use banked SE until 2024 at the earliest.
canadiancow and yvr__dad like this.

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Oct 12, 2021 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
Taxdude and yvr - I confess to not understanding the position that the flying activity part is somehow ambiguous but then again I’ve never claimed to be smart …

As a test do you have a blue dot 🔵 and the words sqm rollover on your status indicator … many of us do including some who had no rollover from last year so might be a good test on the assumption that it indicates whether you have met the applicable requirements ? Cheers
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC * E50K
Yes - I have the blue dot.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gadflyboy
Taxdude and yvr - I confess to not understanding the position that the flying activity part is somehow ambiguous but then again I’ve never claimed to be smart …

As a test do you have a blue dot 🔵 and the words sqm rollover on your status indicator … many of us do including some who had no rollover from last year so might be a good test on the assumption that it indicates whether you have met the applicable requirements ? Cheers
Not sure what you're testing, but I do have a blue dot and approx 8k SQM rolled over from last year. I could see them excluding those SQM from "2021 flight activity" since they're clearly from 2020 and they're already being tracked them so it would be easy. But, they rolled them over to give folks a head start on earning status this year and I believe the target of this jumpstart rollover is anyone who would have achieved an earned status based on their SQM/SQS/SQD balances at the end of the year, so I don't think they will exclude them either. I can't see AC going to the trouble of trying to calculate a theoretical status based on some criteria other than what they've already automated.

I don't remember what the published criteria were for last year's rollover, maybe someone who saves that sort of thing might chime in. Based on the rollover awarded, my "earned status" was E25. I only had about 15k of actual flying, the rest of my 33k SQM came from credit card activities.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
Yeah upon further scrutiny the blue dot appears to mean nothing (other than the app can track rollover sqm) . My office buddy who has no 2021 flight activity has one so it’s not an indicator of meeting the flight activity threshold as I initially thought. I still think you need to hit 25 k sqm and 3k sqd “organically” through flight activity to get the rollover as per the t and c but I guess we shall see. Cheers
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Does this mean Aeroplan is not moving to the revenue model for status yet? Given that SQS, SQM, and SQD is rolling over next year?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
Does this mean Aeroplan is not moving to the revenue model for status yet? Given that SQS, SQM, and SQD is rolling over next year?
Revenue-based earning is only for Aeroplan points. No impact on SQx.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
I'd say that AC has already moved to the revenue model. With the ease of getting SQM/SQS while not flying, the only meaningful requirement is SQD.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Not sure what you're testing, but I do have a blue dot and approx 8k SQM rolled over from last year. I could see them excluding those SQM from "2021 flight activity" since they're clearly from 2020 and they're already being tracked them so it would be easy. But, they rolled them over to give folks a head start on earning status this year and I believe the target of this jumpstart rollover is anyone who would have achieved an earned status based on their SQM/SQS/SQD balances at the end of the year, so I don't think they will exclude them either. I can't see AC going to the trouble of trying to calculate a theoretical status based on some criteria other than what they've already automated.

I don't remember what the published criteria were for last year's rollover, maybe someone who saves that sort of thing might chime in. Based on the rollover awarded, my "earned status" was E25. I only had about 15k of actual flying, the rest of my 33k SQM came from credit card activities.
The only way to roll anything over from 2020 to 2021 was with a credit card.

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I'd say that AC has already moved to the revenue model. With the ease of getting SQM/SQS while not flying, the only meaningful requirement is SQD.
Then you're in the vast minority (as, I suspect, is most of FT).

The vast majority of status-earners are way over on SQD compared to their SQM/SQS.

Source: Mark Nasr and Scott O'Leary
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A number of new posts that wandered off in to a general discussion of qualifying for AC status have been moved to a new thread: How do you qualify for your AC status?

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE
I wonder if someone can clarify my situation for me. I am currently SE. I expect to accumulate about 36,000 SQM and $4,000 SQD from flying in 2021. I should also have about 16,000 SQM from credit card spending, plus (I believe) 25,000 SQM and $3,000 SQD from the Amex offer.

I am under the assumption that all of this (call it 75,000 SQM and $7,000 SQD) will roll into 2022 and be added to whatever SQM and SQD I earn in 2022. Is that the case?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 14, 2021 at 1:07 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
I read through all this to make sure I am playing out the rest of 2021 optimally. I'd just like to check my understanding.

I will finish the year with 22k SQM from flight activity, 40k total SQM (including CC rollover and spend), and $3400 SQD.

In order to get the rollover, I'll need another 3k SQM, to be confirmed by AC. (it would be good to have something definitive from AC on this, so people in my position don't "waste" an MR that could be accomplished with a priority award for example)

If I spend less than $600 SQD for those miles, I will qualify for rollover, so will rollover all 43k, plus 18k through CC rollover, so 61k total to start the year.

If I spend more than $600 SQD, I'll get the same 43k, plus 8k CC rollover (as I will have qualified for E35k organically), for 51k total.

Is this correct? That would seem to incentivize me to spend less on my last leg to maximize the rollover.

If all this is correct, I should also be careful not to exceed 50k SQM, as I will then lose the CC rollover entirely. Is that also correct? Is there some other benefit from achieving a higher organic status that I'm not thinking about?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I wonder if someone can clarify my situation for me. I am currently SE. I expect to accumulate about 36,000 SQM and $4,000 SQD from flying in 2021. I should also have about 16,000 SQM from credit card spending, plus (I believe) 25,000 SQM and $3,000 SQD from the Amex offer.

I am under the assumption that all of this (call it 75,000 SQM and $7,000 SQD) will roll into 2022 and be added to whatever SQM and SQD I earn in 2022. Is that the case?
As you will have qualified for 35K based on flying activities and hold a premium (black) card you would start 2022 with:

52,000 SQM & $4000 SQD from Jump start (AP rollover 36K + 16K)
25,000 SQM & $3000 SQD from Accelerate promo on Black Card for $10K spend
17,000 SQM & 0 SQD from Black card rollover (excess beyond 35K)
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
As you will have qualified for 35K based on flying activities and hold a premium (black) card you would start 2022 with:

52,000 SQM & $4000 SQD from Jump start (AP rollover 36K + 16K)
25,000 SQM & $3000 SQD from Accelerate promo on Black Card for $10K spend
17,000 SQM & 0 SQD from Black card rollover (excess beyond 35K)
No wonder I'm confused. Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:36 pm

Since the question keeps coming up about what exactly people are going to get to start their 2022 with, I whipped up a little spreadsheet to do the heavy lifting. If people find this useful, I can maybe refine the formatting a bit and put links in the wikis of the various threads.

The question of needing to qualify for 2022 status through "flight activity" is still a bit murky, so for now, I've assumed it means just that, and doesn't include SQx earned from rollovers and CC boost.

Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
I read through all this to make sure I am playing out the rest of 2021 optimally. I'd just like to check my understanding.

[...]

If all this is correct, I should also be careful not to exceed 50k SQM, as I will then lose the CC rollover entirely. Is that also correct? Is there some other benefit from achieving a higher organic status that I'm not thinking about?
Your math seems sound, for the most part (I don't think you need to worry about 50K SQM unless you're also going to hit 6K SQD). I think the status extension is the thing that creates the somewhat weird incentives. Normally you would be incentivized to go for the higher status because that would be more valuable than rolling over some miles. You could argue that 35K + 14K of rollover SQM is more valuable than 50K status, but I suspect most people would take the 50K status. But this year, things are weird; your profile says you're 75K. If that's the case, and you wouldn't see yourself flying enough to hit SE, not much point in hitting the requirements for 50K status. Better to rack up as many SQx as possible without spending any SQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.