Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2003, 7:34 pm

Seems as if we're going to need an awful lot of $20 contributions...

Don't mention that its chearper to fly WJ instead of redeeming points. Thats just what AC wants to hear, that way you don't spend the miles which just cost them money.

I could just picture the AC managment meeting about this. Hmmm, we need money quick....Hey! AP members have to redeem their miles anyway, lets charge them when they do! So what if our partners like CIBC, DC etc are getting serious less "mileage" for their money, we'll make more right away.

Granted, Onex will definely not look at this as creating more value for their proposed purchase and will likely reconsider the deal, as long as AC gets a quick cash injection right now.

Obvioulsy, none of us like this development, but from a business standpoint can someone explain the logic behind this? To me it seems to have serious lack of foresight. As everyone has said, its just not worth the fallout in the most loyal customers.

Wasn't the fuel surcharge already included in the AP fee?

Not too long ago AP tickets were actually pretty close to free, then they started on the $25 to change ticket dates and, the base fees went up with the security fees and now this??

My AP points were until now a serious asset in my business, earning upwards of a $1million a year through CIBC, now its just another way to purchase a ticket. CIBC must be fuming.

Can someone post addressess of AP, AC, CIBC, DC, Future Shop, Onex and the rest so we can all send our letters.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
I'm in for the $20 or more if necessary. I've e-mailed AC, AP and DC so far. Be interesting to see if there is a response from any of them. I cannot believe AC would do this at a time when they need their frequent flyers more than ever. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...
Old Apr 13, 2003, 8:45 pm

I've arranged some things, and posted the details in a new thread called:

FEES: Fightback
Old Apr 13, 2003, 9:07 pm

I'm also in for $20.00.

Interestingly enough, since one CANNOT book one-way AP rewards online, I guess that means there's no way around the $25.00 "booking fee" as of July 1st.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I really think a half-a-page black and white ad would already make a significant impact. Would that cut the cost by half? If so, I can collecting $3k is a lot cheaper than $6k.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:45 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

"This fee will enable Aeroplan to increase redemption opportunities, introduce an even more efficient redemption process, make it easier to book reward travel, and much more."

Speechless . . .

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 04-13-2003).]
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:52 pm

Of course redemption possibilites are increased. No one will be booking rewards.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:13 pm

Will the National or G & M take an ad that slates another much Bigger advertiser...

AC must spend Millions on ADs, remember this paper have a business to run to, they might be reluctant to accept this add.

Just another perspective...

Errorplan had some what success in rolling back the changes in the 2002 plan....
This was done at very lttle cost i expect, and achieved a great deal...many of us are indeed indebted.

Paying people to hand out leaflets at the airports, or FF members doing this will be way more effective as it gets to the heart of the matter....

Mind you...AP really does not give a flying F*** right now...they can do what they want.....

We have many millions of miles at stake.!
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Will the National or G & M take an ad that slates another much Bigger advertiser...</font>
If they don't, I'm sure the Toronto Star would be happy to do a story on that issue.

Which would really get the ball rolling, I imagine.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
So far as I know US on-line redemption is always free as well (until they change it of course - not sure it's advertised well but it does work).</font>
Yes, it's always free when booked online. If booked by phone less than 14 days in advance, the fee is $50 for non status members, $35 for Silver & Gold. Chairman's get all fees waived.

Also add HP, WN, and FL to the list of airlines that have no fees for redeeming awards.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:08 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Just got home from a ZIP flight...I had heard about the fees being added April 30 and I was just at peace with that when I read about the new 'redemption fee(s)'. What crap! Rupert's minions are definitely at it again. They are so petty. If I want to redeem 25K for a flight in Y in NA, that would take me 100 one way flights demonstrating my loyalty and then they try to squeeze a further fee out of me for booking on their website? Get real. Count me in for the $20 contribution.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:11 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I got back from MEX Sunday night. Just catching up on emails.

I just cannot believe what Aeroplan is doing. Talk about pushing customers of all levels away.

I suspect, it's the frequent **flier** that will look elsewhere to accumulate miles. The frequent buyer will likely not notice much and would be willing to pay the $25. But these are the ones that never/rarely fly. How does that help AC?

Just does not make sense to me.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hi guys...

First of all, count me in with $20 or more to raise public awareness of the AC shaft.

I do, however, think that there are more effective and cheaper ways to get the message across. Whilst I don't think that the Globe or the Star would refuse a full page ad of this nature (they need all the money they can get and AC is not about to shun the newspaper with the largets circulation in the country), it is a pretty expenseive undertaking. I'm sure the money that is raised could be used more effectively. Once the ad is run, that's it...if you didn't see it that day, too bad.

There is clearly enough reporter interest to do AC/AP stories, and I'm sure that the Globe would be happy to interview someone from this board.

Also, remember the impact the errorplan newsletter had when it appeared in the MLL, seatback pockets etc? That's how I heard of errorplan and, subsequently, this board.

The great power of the internet is that it is much easier, quicker, and cheaper to assimilate ideas and get mass messages across, either to the affected or to the initiators.

I propose something like this:

1. Get someone interviewed by the Globe

2a. Collectively write a simple summary of how AP members are getting the shaft
2b. Circulate that through this board
2c. Have board members copy it and distribute in planes, MLL, airports, etc (we all travel enough to do this)
3. Perhaps remind the public about errorplan, where they can see an up-to-date schedule of AP changes
4. Mass email campaign to Rupert or others at AP.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by LondonElite (edited 04-14-2003).]
Old Apr 14, 2003, 5:42 am

Programs: AC MM
That plan does sound a bit more rational, whether through and ad or a story this has to get into the media. I think on this summary it should show email addresses/phone numbers for not only the airline, but for the involved CC's as well to make it easier for people to voice their displeasure. I am willing to start handing these out and stuffing seat pockets.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 7:15 am

London,

Yup, soundgs better. Who knows someone at the Globe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.