Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC’s youngest Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME); A true example of perseverance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC’s youngest Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME); A true example of perseverance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

An interesting read I thought worth sharing.

https://skiesmag.com/news/air-canada...-perseverance/

When Sidhant Sharma first started along his path in aviation, he never imagined he would earn the title of Air Canada’s, and possibly the world’s, youngest Boeing 787 engineer. Sharma has been around aviation his whole life — from being in Air Cadets from a young age, to his father being a loadmaster for Japan Airlines, and his brother becoming an Airbus A320 first officer — but he was especially drawn to the often-overshadowed maintenance side of the industry.

“I did find the technical aspect of [aviation] pretty interesting,” said Sharma, “because you have to take such a methodical approach in order to resolve an issue within an airplane. It’s just the kind of person that I am, as well.”
gcashin, YYZC2, YVR4Ever and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Nice story. Thanks for sharing.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Great achievement for sure.

Are they required to have their P.Eng.? Doesn’t seem so by the article.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Prestige

No. IIRC, most AMEs complete a two-year community college course and then get further aircraft- or specialization-specific training from their employer or manufacturer. It's a gig I looked at briefly in another life and quickly realized it was beyond my extremely limited technical ability.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Prestige

Originally Posted by YYZC2
No. IIRC, most AMEs complete a two-year community college course and then get further aircraft- or specialization-specific training from their employer or manufacturer. It's a gig I looked at briefly in another life and quickly realized it was beyond my extremely limited technical ability.
No need for P.Eng. since they're federally licensed, if that's what you were wondering.

Last edited by pentiumvi; Jan 5, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm surprised their allowed to use the title "engineer" then.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's complicated, but generally legal use of "engineer", with or without the "professional" prefix varies by province.

I'm not a constitutional scholar, but I believe that the Feds own Aeronautical stuff. Much past that and you start getting into the wonderfully arcane BNA Act of 1867.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jan 5, 2021 at 11:05 pm Reason: Canadian History reference for the curious.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:06 am

There are exceptions, ie: Flight engineer, sound engineer etc.
AMEs are apparently one of the exceptions too.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:55 am

In many places in the world it is called mechanic or technician but I guess that is like Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer and the latest I've heard Business Engineer. But in reality this comes more from Locomotive Engineer or even Flight Engineer.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
my point exactly. It’s been a debate with provincial associations and ´orders’.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: Irrelevant

Aviation is Federally regulated and those Federal Regulations are derived from ICAO requirements.

Canada specifics:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/lic...-engineers-ame

Get a copy of ICAO Annex 1 and read Chapter 4.

The U.S.A is one of the extreme few member states that does not use the word "engineer" for its licensed aircraft maintenance personnel.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jaysona

Aviation is Federally regulated and those Federal Regulations are derived from ICAO requirements.

Canada specifics:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/lic...-engineers-ame

Get a copy of ICAO Annex 1 and read Chapter 4.

The U.S.A is one of the extreme few member states that does not use the word "engineer" for its licensed aircraft maintenance personnel.
Not sure what the eyeroll is for as people are merely pointing out that the definition of engineer in aviation is quite different than in other industries in Canada. AMEs are not the only example of this. It's the same in railways, the military and some legacy professions that are regulated provincially like stationary engineers (variously called operating or power engineers in different provinces).

It's not merely a question of parallel regulatory regimes - unlike some employees of the federal government who do engineering work that would plainly require a PEng if done in an area of provincial jurisdiction, AME is also a unique profession from the ones regulated by provincial engineering associations.

Congratulations to Mr. Sharma for his achievements. Interesting that he worked as ramp crew for 8P while putting himself through school at BCIT and later in maintenance after graduating. It demonstrates how important smaller airlines are for giving people a place to get started in the aviation industry.
24left and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
This reminds m of the battles I saw at my University between the Computer Science department and the Faculty of Engineering as to who should be able to offer a program in Software Engineering.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Academic
This reminds m of the battles I saw at my University between the Computer Science department and the Faculty of Engineering as to who should be able to offer a program in Software Engineering.
It's all academic.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 11:47 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Academic
I was smack in the middle of that when, years ago, me and my EE study group attempted a build-your-own degree in Computer Engineering. Two Deans from two colleges who wouldn't even talk to each other in the same room. An education in petty campus détente.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.