Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan IT Issues - No Miles after Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

The Aeroplan / Air Canada system is currently experiencing issues with respect to issue of miles and fees for a flight award cancellation. I cancelled online first and no confirmation e-mail came thru, then I called, the agent said it's not cancelled and manually did it. But no e-mail came and he said it's "queued", will get pushed through in a couple days.

Just FYI - don't think you can just "cancel" the flight (award redemption) online now.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC 75k
The first thing that came to mind when I received my email regarding the fact Elite interface will now be on a different site:
With 9 days to go to the new release, don't hold your breath for us to bother fixing the old broken stuff !!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SkyElite
Just FYI - don't think you can just "cancel" the flight (award redemption) online now.
Are you sure that's the case? Some bookings just don't process correctly online. Pre-Amadeus ones seem to have been a consistent issue for me, as well as bookings that have had many schedule changes.

Edit: For what it's worth, I just made a new booking and cancelled it fine. I couldn't cancel another one, but that one was both pre-Amadeus and has had some massive schedule changes, so I always expected to have to call in for that. So I suspect yours was just one of the problem bookings.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 30, 2020 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Are you sure that's the case? Some bookings just don't process correctly online. Pre-Amadeus ones seem to have been a consistent issue for me, as well as bookings that have had many schedule changes.

Edit: For what it's worth, I just made a new booking and cancelled it fine. I couldn't cancel another one, but that one was both pre-Amadeus and has had some massive schedule changes, so I always expected to have to call in for that. So I suspect yours was just one of the problem bookings.
Except mine is a new one (made about 5 days ago), and this is the second time I've encountered the cancellation issue. The Rep on the phone confirmed there is a system glitch.

I wouldn't have cancelled so soon if not for the fact I want to book another one before Nov. 6... Oh well
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Except mine is a new one (made about 5 days ago), and this is the second time I've encountered the cancellation issue. The Rep on the phone confirmed there is a system glitch.
I don't dispute your experiences, and there has definitely been a glitch that has prevented some bookings from being refunded for quite some time (I never said it only applied to pre-Amadeus bookings or ones that have had a lot of schedule changes, I simply said that those bookings have been particularly problematic). But I don't think it's correct to make a blanket statement that bookings can't be cancelled online. I cancelled one a couple days ago, in addition to the one I booked and cancelled yesterday to test this out. It seems more likely that you've been unlucky than that no bookings can be cancelled online.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't dispute your experiences, and there has definitely been a glitch that has prevented some bookings from being refunded for quite some time (I never said it only applied to pre-Amadeus bookings or ones that have had a lot of schedule changes, I simply said that those bookings have been particularly problematic). But I don't think it's correct to make a blanket statement that bookings can't be cancelled online. I cancelled one a couple days ago, in addition to the one I booked and cancelled yesterday to test this out. It seems more likely that you've been unlucky than that no bookings can be cancelled online.
Likewise, I did not intend to contradict your data points. Merely wanted to add that new bookings can be problematic when it comes to cancellation, and don't trust the website even if it says that your booking has been cancelled, it might not have been.

I cancelled another one today, and this time it worked.

The common denominator for the two bookings that could not be cancelled? They didn't show up automatically under my bookings, I had to pull each one up by manually entering the reference #.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:51 am

Likewise, I did not intend to contradict your data points. Merely wanted to add that new bookings can be problematic when it comes to cancellation, and don't trust the website even if it says that your booking has been cancelled, it might not have been.
Sure, but there's nothing new here. That has been discussed extensively in this thread, as well as somewhere in the master refunds vs credits thread, and I think there was another thread specific to the Aeroplan cancellation issue too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.