Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: United Premier Silver on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: United Premier Silver on AC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Today I received a free bag checking in to an AC operated flight as a UA Silver. The ticket is 016 and shows only a UA flight number (no code share). On the outbound the ticket showed an AC code share flight number and I was charged USD$30.
If it was a UA flight number and not a codeshare, then it wasn't AC operated.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If it was a UA flight number and not a codeshare, then it wasn't AC operated.
That is the glitch. AC metal and AC operated. Because of this I couldn’t check in online via the app. Had to find a workaround on the AC web site. Boarding pass on AC stock only has the UA flight number. Weird.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:20 pm

That is the glitch. AC metal and AC operated. Because of this I couldn’t check in online via the app. Had to find a workaround on the AC web site. Boarding pass on AC stock only has the UA flight number. Weird.
That doesn't seem to make sense. You're saying the flight was AC metal/operated, but had a non-codeshare UA flight number?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
That doesn't seem to make sense. You're saying the flight was AC metal/operated, but had a non-codeshare UA flight number?
On my AC and UA record locators, yes. Called UA ahead of time to make sure I check in at AC, and they confirmed that I should. They had no idea why my AC reservation said “Operated by United.” I do this route all the time and have never seen this before. The upside was a free bag!
supervillian likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
It's impossible.

If it's operated by AC and has a UA flight number, then by definition, it's a codeshare.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's impossible.

If it's operated by AC and has a UA flight number, then by definition, it's a codeshare.
Agreed. It’s also impossible as a *S to get first checked bag free on AC. As I said, it was a glitch.
supervillian likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:11 pm

Agreed. It’s also impossible as a *S to get first checked bag free on AC. As I said, it was a glitch.
No, getting a bag fee waived is not impossible. There's literally another thread at the top of the forum with an active discussion of a reproducible way of doing it with eUpgrades.

What you're saying about the codeshare breaks the definition of "codeshare". If it was marketed by UA and operated by AC, it was a codeshare. Period.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:58 pm

I didn't eUpgrade. Here are the pics. Make of it what you will. It was in the end operated by AC, I agree, and was marketed by United. But my point is that AC's confusion over who was operating the flight led to my getting a free bag on the AC operated flight simply because I was UA Silver. And that is what this thread is supposed to be about.

This is from the AC App, under Trips. It clearly says Operated by United.

Last edited by economyplusfan; Jul 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm Reason: Boarding Pass redacted
Old Jul 13, 2021, 3:24 pm

I didn't eUpgrade. Here are the pics. Make of it what you will. It was in the end operated by AC, I agree, and was marketed by United. But my point is that AC's confusion over who was operating the flight led to my getting a free bag on the AC operated flight simply because I was UA Silver. And that is what this thread is supposed to be about.

This is from the AC App, under Trips. It clearly says Operated by United.
First of all, you need to redact the barcode. Your full name, UA FF number, booking reference, ticket number, seat number, etc., are all in there.

Second, that's just a bug in the app that's misreading the marketed/operated fields. No one actually thought it was operated by United, and that has nothing to do with why you got a free bag.

Third, while I can't pull 016 tickets, this was ticketed by UA, and the ticket can have a baggage allowance on it. I don't know if that's what happened here.

However, what I do know from pulling your PNR is that the outbound was an AC Standard fare, but the return was a UA fare. And that is most likely why you got a free bag. TB TG fares do not entitle you to a free bag, but it's quite possible they just throw free bags at anyone on non-AC fares, rather than dealing with arguments.

But your free bag had nothing to do with UA*S, and nothing to do with the app bug related to the operating airline.
economyplusfan and Adam Smith like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.