Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with pet in hold on AC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SM Diamond
Traveling with pet in hold on AC

I'm planning to travel to Canada for Christmas (DEN to YUL) and given that I'm planning to return for 6 weeks, would like to bring my dog with me. At 30lbs he's too big to fit under the seat (he's a terrier-poodle mix), but I've been told that if I fly outside of peak holiday flying, I can bring him on the flight in the hold. The flight I'm looking at is direct and about 4hrs. Does anyone have any experience flying their pet in the hold with Air Canada? Was it fine, or to be avoided? My alternative is a 3 day drive back by myself East in full winter mode so I'm hoping this is a viable solution.
Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Other than the peak time restrictions, there are also time of year/temperature restrictions on certain aircraft.
December 15 to January 12

Due to increased passenger and cargo loads during the peak winter travel period, no pets are accepted as checked baggage or cargo.
November 1 to March 31 and at any other time when temperature is 0 °C (32 °F) or below

Cats and dogs weighing less than 4.5 kg (10 lb) are not accepted in the baggage compartment of any of our aircraft.

Pets are not accepted on the following flights and aircraft:It is not recommended to transport animals as checked baggage on our Airbus A319-100, A320-200 and A321-200 aircraft: the cargo compartment is not heated and temperatures can be as low as 2 °C (36 °F).
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ance/pets.html
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I can't speak to what the experience is, but there are a number of restrictions when putting pets in the hold over the winter period.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ance/pets.html
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At the risk of stating the obvious, are you permitted to enter Canada?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SM Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
At the risk of stating the obvious, are you permitted to enter Canada?
Yes, I am a Canadian citizen. I also have a work permit that allows me to re-enter the US.

I assumed the agent on the phone had checked the aircraft restrictions, but it doesn't look like he did since both flights to Toronto and Montreal are on the list of ones not recommended for pets in winter.
Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by itsk
Yes, I am a Canadian citizen. I also have a work permit that allows me to re-enter the US.

I assumed the agent on the phone had checked the aircraft restrictions, but it doesn't look like he did since both flights to Toronto and Montreal are on the list of ones not recommended for pets in winter.
Thanks
I believe there might also be some summer time restrictions when temperatures exceed X degrees.

One thing to take note of is that you would have to be ready for flexibility. You will be offered options to change/rebook depending on the conditions, but options may be limited (and if you think rebooking during IROPs is difficult, try doing it with a pet in cargo)...

There's a chance you could arrive quicker with the 3 day drive 🤣🤷🏽‍♂️
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by itsk
I'm planning to travel to Canada for Christmas (DEN to YUL) and given that I'm planning to return for 6 weeks, would like to bring my dog with me. At 30lbs he's too big to fit under the seat (he's a terrier-poodle mix), but I've been told that if I fly outside of peak holiday flying, I can bring him on the flight in the hold. The flight I'm looking at is direct and about 4hrs. Does anyone have any experience flying their pet in the hold with Air Canada? Was it fine, or to be avoided? My alternative is a 3 day drive back by myself East in full winter mode so I'm hoping this is a viable solution.
Thanks!
I was going to suggest flying to Toronto then driving 6 hours, but that's a 319 (and who knows these days what it will actually be by the time you get there) and might be cold for your dog it says in the restrictions mentioned above. Well, maybe spend some money on good snow tires instead and make a road trip of it looks like your best option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.