Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: award ticket availability during Covid days

Question: award ticket availability during Covid days

Old Aug 3, 20, 3:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AC E50K
Posts: 48
award ticket availability during Covid days

Background - need to fly back from Canada to China but could not find a ticket.

I am wondering if during COVID days(or at any time period deemed appropriate by themselves), can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?

Thanks!
IBNR is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 4:02 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,992
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?
There is no requirement for any airline to offer award seats on any flight.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 8:42 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,202
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
There is no requirement for any airline to offer award seats on any flight.
? hmm....
​​​
Aeroplan IKK award redemptions allow Air Canada Super Elite 100k members to redeem upto 10x per year at the standard mileage rates... all the way up to the last positive space economy seat (i.e. as long as flight is not already overbooked)

Also, Aeroplan contract with AC had required a certain % of seats overall available for award use. Granted, only the totals in aggregate had to work out..... so limited/no seats can be common on peak & holiday dates.... for which the answer above to use Super Elite IKK still applies.
​​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 3, 20 at 11:27 pm
expert7700 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 20, 12:08 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,420
I think because of the Chinese government restrictions on capacity to/from China there is simply not much available at this time.

There is tons of award availability within North America and to/from Europe.
YYCCL3 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 20, 6:05 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Aeroplan contract with AC had required a certain % of seats overall available for award use.
​​​​​
With the merger, I always wondered if this was the first thing on the chopping block. I figured that was a good part of the value proposition for AC to buy AP 1.5 years before the deadline: AC could start selling seats that they were forced to set aside. And open up more seats on otherwise low-load routes.
tecate55 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 20, 7:46 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Background - need to fly back from Canada to China but could not find a ticket.

I am wondering if during COVID days(or at any time period deemed appropriate by themselves), can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?

Thanks!
AC only has one flight per week to china shanghai starting this friday with a tech stop at seoul probably for crew change so that the crew will probably stay at air-side for fast turn around.

with so much restrictions these days and limited supply, i guess that airlines prefer not to release reward space for these flights since they can make more by selling them for cash.
aznfreak007 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 20, 8:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Background - need to fly back from Canada to China but could not find a ticket.

I am wondering if during COVID days(or at any time period deemed appropriate by themselves), can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?

Thanks!
What dates are you specifically looking for and to where from where? Expertflyer is often helpful.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: