Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: award ticket availability during Covid days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: award ticket availability during Covid days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
award ticket availability during Covid days

Background - need to fly back from Canada to China but could not find a ticket.

I am wondering if during COVID days(or at any time period deemed appropriate by themselves), can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by IBNR
can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?
There is no requirement for any airline to offer award seats on any flight.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is no requirement for any airline to offer award seats on any flight.
? hmm....
​​​
Aeroplan IKK award redemptions allow Air Canada Super Elite 100k members to redeem upto 10x per year at the standard mileage rates... all the way up to the last positive space economy seat (i.e. as long as flight is not already overbooked)

Also, Aeroplan contract with AC had required a certain % of seats overall available for award use. Granted, only the totals in aggregate had to work out..... so limited/no seats can be common on peak & holiday dates.... for which the answer above to use Super Elite IKK still applies.
​​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 3, 2020 at 10:27 pm
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:08 pm

I think because of the Chinese government restrictions on capacity to/from China there is simply not much available at this time.

There is tons of award availability within North America and to/from Europe.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Aeroplan contract with AC had required a certain % of seats overall available for award use.
​​​​​
With the merger, I always wondered if this was the first thing on the chopping block. I figured that was a good part of the value proposition for AC to buy AP 1.5 years before the deadline: AC could start selling seats that they were forced to set aside. And open up more seats on otherwise low-load routes.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:46 am

I am wondering if during COVID days(or at any time period deemed appropriate by themselves), can AC reduce(or not releasing at all) award tickets to Aeroplan members and/or partner airlines, or by Star Alliance agreement members need to maintain a min share of award tickets?

Thanks!
AC only has one flight per week to china shanghai starting this friday with a tech stop at seoul probably for crew change so that the crew will probably stay at air-side for fast turn around.

with so much restrictions these days and limited supply, i guess that airlines prefer not to release reward space for these flights since they can make more by selling them for cash.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold

Thanks!
What dates are you specifically looking for and to where from where? Expertflyer is often helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.