Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Paupaaa
Here’s another data point from a voicemail I received from a supervisor at AC

Hi “Paupaa” this is “a Supervisor” calling from the airplane supervisors desk last week in regards to the Air Canada miles promotion um unfortunately because you did sign into the account prior to 10 AM the system only recognizes that it doesn't recognize the actual purchase time of the miles so are actually not entitled to get any miles however our product team has recognize that and they will go ahead and credit your account with the 65% bonus so those will be in your account in about 10 business days, I actually hoping to hoping to speak with you but if you do have any questions you can certainly call us back and speak to any supervisor here thanks very much for your patience on this matter and have a great day take care bye now…”

*names changed to protect the not so innocent

so none the less it looks as if AC views the 65 percent miles as a favour with the stance that we should not get any at all. They are also holding true to the system login time vs the purchase time which I still find incredibly interesting.

more as I hear anything else
If this is the exact quote
you did sign into the account prior to 10 AM the system only recognizes that it doesn't recognize the actual purchase time of the miles
then to me it's a de-facto admission of incorrect behavior.

"[the system] doesn't recognize the actual purchase time of the miles" is probably a true statement, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual purchase time of the miles was after 10am.

"We know you purchased after 10am but our system screwed up and doesn't recognize the actual purchase time of your miles" is a completely indefensible position.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
"We know you purchased after 10am but our system screwed up and doesn't recognize the actual purchase time of your miles" is a completely indefensible position.
I absolutely agree but I don't know what to do about it to get my way.. I've never been in a position where I've wanted to seek alternative action
Old May 17, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by canopus27
If this is the exact quote
then to me it's a de-facto admission of incorrect behavior.

"[the system] doesn't recognize the actual purchase time of the miles" is probably a true statement, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual purchase time of the miles was after 10am.

it’s an exact quote as I quoted the voicemail that was left to me from the AC supervisor (only thing different are the names redacted)
Old May 18, 2020, 11:34 am

If you really want to make the effort to pursue this make sure you record that call and backup somewhere.

With that admission (and the rules of the promotions conflicting) a simple legalese sounding letter with the two statements and the initiation of a small claims court proceeding would probably get you want you need. I am not lawyer though.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
If you really want to make the effort to pursue this make sure you record that call and backup somewhere.

With that admission (and the rules of the promotions conflicting) a simple legalese sounding letter with the two statements and the initiation of a small claims court proceeding would probably get you want you need. I am not lawyer though.
That exact quote was left as a voicemail on my phone. Thus it is recorded...

If anyone cares deeper about this than I do and has the time or desire to pursue anything along that route. I’d be glad to help in anyway I can... Just personally I’m such a small time player that the effort and overall difference in mileage between 65 and 90 percent just isn’t worth it. I was in this to get enough miles to book one J ticket. It’s been a hassle a headache and most certainly an experience I will opt to not want to repeat again.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: Everything
I am in the group of people who purchased Aeroplan miles between 11:00A-noon EST, but was only able to snag a 65% bonus.

I never got an email stating that my bonus would be auto increase to 90%, even though I fit the eligibility requirements. So I am not sure if I have slipped through the cracks or not.

Has anyone seen the extra bonus miles yet (25% more)? At one point should I be reaching out to Aeroplan CS?
Old May 20, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
I purchased in the 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM EDT time period - despite logging in just prior to 10:00 AM and not seeing the bonus and ten trying and trying and trying after 10:00 AM.

I ended up purchasing in two transactions at 11:14 AM and 11:17 AM.

Note that I didn't make any contact with Air Canada or Aeroplan on this topic - I figured it would work itself out(or it wouldn't).

Additional miles landed in my account today so I am very happy.

Old May 20, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: Everything
Fantastic! Thanks to your post, I just checked my husband and my accounts and we got our top-off yesterday as well. How wonderful to close the case on this one.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:31 pm

Last Data Point on this thread.

My 65 percent bonus miles did post.

so I officially got some form of a bonus for my screw up.

live and learn. Thanks for everyone’s input
tcook052 and unclepants like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:46 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
"Elite 75K and Super Elite 100K members who cross the 250,000 threshold will receive 25,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles that will count towards Air Canada Million Mile recognition."

Is this counting 25k only for the MM program, or am I supposed to receive 25k Aeroplan miles as well (for flight redemptions)? It's been 2 weeks since the sale, I bought 250k miles so I expected the 25k bonus. Unless I misunderstood the rules?
Old May 22, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Yes you are supposed to receive 25k aeroplan miles as well. If you had bought 250K miles, it should do the job, maybe it’s a matter of sweeping time?

i received mine a few days ago, added to my MM and aeroplan miles as well; the 25k miles.

Originally Posted by escape4
"Elite 75K and Super Elite 100K members who cross the 250,000 threshold will receive 25,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles that will count towards Air Canada Million Mile recognition."

Is this counting 25k only for the MM program, or am I supposed to receive 25k Aeroplan miles as well (for flight redemptions)? It's been 2 weeks since the sale, I bought 250k miles so I expected the 25k bonus. Unless I misunderstood the rules?
Old May 22, 2020, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What bonus did you receive for the miles?

Only half of what you received counted toward the TAH promotion, so if you bought 250k at anything under the 115% bonus (i.e. either 90% or 65%), you haven't earned enough for the 250k threshold.

If you bought them at the 115%, or otherwise earned the necessary 250k for TAH, then it's important to understand that under the current terms and conditions (not to be confused with the original terms and conditions), you get 25k toward MM, and 25k Aeroplan miles, but not 25k AQM.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What bonus did you receive for the miles?

Only half of what you received counted toward the TAH promotion, so if you bought 250k at anything under the 115% bonus (i.e. either 90% or 65%), you haven't earned enough for the 250k threshold.

If you bought them at the 115%, or otherwise earned the necessary 250k for TAH, then it's important to understand that under the current terms and conditions (not to be confused with the original terms and conditions), you get 25k toward MM, and 25k Aeroplan miles, but not 25k AQM.
Well then I am confused about the current terms vs original terms. Why is it only half that counts towards TAH? I thought the promo is simply that if I earn 250k miles then I get the 25k bonus, so if I bought 250k miles it does not matter what bonus I get. It sounds like my understanding is wrong. I received 90% bonus so I ended up with 250k+225k.

How much more do I need to trigger the 25k Aeroplan miles bonus? I do not care about AQM since I am already SE100k.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:09 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
Well then I am confused about the current terms vs original terms.
The only thing that changed was that it was clarified that the 25K Aeroplan/MM miles were not AQM. It had never been stated that they were, but some had assumed that they were.

Why is it only half that counts towards TAH?
Because that's what Aeroplan decided. That was clearly disclosed long before the bonus mile offer opened for purchase.

I thought the promo is simply that if I earn 250k miles then I get the 25k bonus, so if I bought 250k miles it does not matter what bonus I get. It sounds like my understanding is wrong.
You have to earn 250K eligible miles. Only half of the miles purchased under the promo (including bonus miles) are eligible.

I received 90% bonus so I ended up with 250k+225k.

How much more do I need to trigger the 25k Aeroplan miles bonus? I do not care about AQM since I am already SE100k.
You're 12.5K short: (250K +225K) / 2 = 237.5K

You don't necessarily have to purchase 12.5K more miles though. Those could come from purchases on an Aeroplan credit card, transfers from Amex MR, transfers from hotel programs, etc.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You're 12.5K short: (250K +225K) / 2 = 237.5K

You don't necessarily have to purchase 12.5K more miles though. Those could come from purchases on an Aeroplan credit card, transfers from Amex MR, transfers from hotel programs, etc.
Ah got it, thank you for the explanation! Easy enough then, Amex MR 13k will do the trick to exceed the threshold! Somehow I did not see the rule about half of miles being counted, so I incorrectly assumed that they counted 100% of miles bought (not bonus miles) but turns out they count 50% of the total miles including bonus which is not exactly the same and indeed makes a difference for people who got 115% bonus of 90% bonus.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.