Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Speed Bump; intentional timeout preventing consecutive searches for flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Is there an intentional timeout preventing consecutive searches for flights? I noticed recently on both Aeroplan and AC that if I move through the calendar to see availability, after about a dozen consecutive dates both websites will give me an error and not allow further searches for awhile.
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've certainly been seeing this on Aeroplan for a while. I haven't done many AC searches lately, but they've definitely been implementing "security" measures that are making it very hard to redeem points and pay money.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: hahaha
I don't know about hidden timeouts, but at one point I was using a web scraper (flightplantool) to find awards, and about a few months after the tool launched, Aeroplan incorporated Google's captchas. This would be after a few hundred inhuman queries. It wasn't an invisible cooldown or anything so if one has been implemented like you describe, then it's certainly new!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Given everything is hosted with Amadeus, they probably pay for every call/inquiry to the inventory, they probably want to discourage automated scrapers or crawlers.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:09 pm

I wouldn't blame them. Sorry if me and others ruined the fun for anybody else. :P

Back on topic, how fast are you searching, OP? Is it a consistent rate limit you've encountered for x queries in y time period?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Is there an intentional timeout preventing consecutive searches for flights? I noticed recently on both Aeroplan and AC that if I move through the calendar to see availability, after about a dozen consecutive dates both websites will give me an error and not allow further searches for awhile.
Here is the solution. When you time out from doing too many searches, just log off. Open a different browser and sign in again and you can do more searches.

I use Chrome, Edge and Firefox as required.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asovse1
I wouldn't blame them. Sorry if me and others ruined the fun for anybody else. :P

Back on topic, how fast are you searching, OP? Is it a consistent rate limit you've encountered for x queries in y time period?
Nothing absurd. Just as fast as it takes to click the availability calendar, look at the results, maybe expand the the details on 1-2 options, and then repeat for the next day..

I haven't kept track of specific numbers but it seems to kick me off before I've made it through the 2 week mark. I'm searching end of schedule for CPH to YYZ so I'm flexible on dates and European gateways but would love that non-stop.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:36 pm

I've been running into that problem on the PC.

But I've shifted to doing quite a bit of searching using the app--it is much faster (for me) and it doesn't kick me out.

Though it doesn't give access to as much information as the web-site, it is a good way to search day by day by day.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1
what did you do ?
Old May 3, 2020, 10:52 pm

I ran flightplan, it supported Aeroplan right out of the gate. I assume others did too, and mass award queries caught Aeroplan's attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.