Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Trying to get home to Canada, can't get through to Aeroplan, advice??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Am currently in France, scheduled to fly home to Canada on March 21, trying to get out earlier as per the advice of the Canadian govt. Worried that commercial flights will be cancelled like they are to Italy.

Air Canada won't take calls, directs you to their website. I go to the website and it tells me I can't make changes online, that I have to contact Air Canada Reservations. When I look at the info for that, it says that because my ticket was booked with Aeroplan, I have to contact Aeroplan. I have been on hold with Aeroplan for hours, and the Aeroplan website won't even let me log in, just spins and spins (though not sure if I could even make changes if I were logged in).

Any help /advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
whensomever
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you look at the other threads on the same topic?

Only advice: be patient and keep trying. At least you are on hold, it's not that they did not answer at all.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
If all else fails, go to CDG and buy a ticket home.
pitz likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YWG-RO
If all else fails, go to CDG and buy a ticket home.
A ticket from Paris to Toronto is currently $4000 one-way. So trying to avoid paying that full amount, can't really afford it...

Originally Posted by Stranger

Only advice: be patient and keep trying. At least you are on hold, it's not that they did not answer at all.
Thanks for replying. Yes, the other threads seem to be about people trying to cancel imminent flights, or people whose flight got cancelled. I'm trying to change a booking, not cancel.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:51 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
There are no economy class seats on AC out of Paris tomorrow Sunday 15 March.....i see one seat with AIr Transat via Montreal.
So if you don't get thru tonight you can try again for tomorrow to hopefully secure a seat for Monday
The only solution for you to get thru via the phone to Aeroplan
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
There are no economy class seats on AC out of Paris tomorrow Sunday 15 March.....i see one seat with AIr Transat via Montreal.
So if you don't get thru tonight you can try again for tomorrow to hopefully secure a seat for Monday
The only solution for you to get thru via the phone to Aeroplan
Thanks for your reply, and thanks for checking.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Buy a return and just throw away the return, should be cheaper than the one way. Maybe don’t put in your Aeroplan number or your typical credit card etc.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ksm06
Buy a return and just throw away the return, should be cheaper than the one way. Maybe don’t put in your Aeroplan number or your typical credit card etc.
Even better: Buy a round trip ticket, throw away the return, and ask for a refund of the residual taxes
tecate55 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksm06
Smart, I never thought it would be cheaper, it definitely is. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Schedule the return for a year from now. There might be a tiny 1% chance you'll want to go back next year.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
Even better: Buy a round trip ticket, throw away the return, and ask for a refund of the residual taxes
You don't need to throw away the return if AC cancels the return flight before you take it. In that case, surely a partial refund would be justified
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger

Excellent advice. If you can get on hold, patience will pay off. A friend who is in India messaged me in the middle of the night last night as the AC online change tool was not working for him. He said he could not get through on the E35 line. I told him to get on Skype (which he didn’t have), to keep dialing until he got on hold and then wait it out. That’s what he did and he’s now booked for tomorrow. I don’t know how long he had to wait as I was traveling (by road) today and was not able to get info from him, but definitely persistence can pay off.

It’s a tough situation to be in for sure as everyone now wants to get home lest they get stuck somewhere, and then may others are calling in to make changes for flights further out which doesn’t help.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:50 pm

Would AP even have inventory for a change? Doubtful. Buy whatever revenue ticket you can get your hands on, document the details of your attempts to contact AP to cancel, and when you get back, send them a registered letter demanding a refund of your points as you were unable to reach them to do a proper cancellation. The crisis is very well documented publicly.

Travel on AP has always been very dicey if one needs to make a change because changes are subject to inventory and inventory is very limited.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canopus27
You don't need to throw away the return if AC cancels the return flight before you take it. In that case, surely a partial refund would be justified
Good point! Fingers crossed. Still on hold... in the meantime, I booked a return for $2200 leaving on Monday. Significantly cheaper than the $3800 one-way. I'll cancel within 24 hours if I manage to get through to Aeroplan and it turns out to be cheaper to change my existing flight.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
vincewy likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
Would AP even have inventory for a change? Doubtful. Buy whatever revenue ticket you can get your hands on, document the details of your attempts to contact AP to cancel, and when you get back, send them a registered letter demanding a refund of your points as you were unable to reach them to do a proper cancellation. The crisis is very well documented publicly.

Travel on AP has always been very dicey if one needs to make a change because changes are subject to inventory and inventory is very limited.
They do have some flights through FRA and MUC some days, which is why I suggest that the OP keeps trying. Not direct from CDG though.
pitz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.