Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Bonus Miles Promotion for Flights in Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Got this today by email:

May be targeted, but don't know for sure.
tcook052 and YWG-RO like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: SE 100K
Got this as well.

I presume trying to avoid the (inevitable) decrease in domestic travel as well.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:27 am

Interesting. 100% bonus on Standard isn't very good. That'll take you from 25% earning to 50% earning, but 150% on Flex is interesting. Couple this with new bookings getting 1 free change and I might just have to pull the trigger on a few trips that I'm planning on taking anyways.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
There is a non targeted one on AC.com for TB flights:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...tacdotcom|caen

50% for standard and 100 for the rest.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AC SE
Has anyone who did not receive the offer been able to access it (or register for it)?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC 75k
My DW and son got it - both with no status, so looks like it is likely going out to all Aeroplan anyway.
Would have meant 10k more miles for me if it came out 2 weeks ago!!
That's a big deal for us lowly 35'ers.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE
Is there a non-unique link someone can share to see if it’s an offer others can register for?
marke190 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Is there a non-unique link someone can share to see if it’s an offer others can register for?
I looked before I posted the offer and couldn't find one. It does say in the T's & C's that is targeted.

On a side note, the offer does not apply to unlimited FPs either.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The lowest domestic fares on AC earn 0%, so those people aren't going to be influenced by this.

This bonus is redeemable miles only, no status miles. I don't think a lot of FFs, particularly business travelers who are seeing a reduction in needed/allowed travel due to Covid-19, are going to bite on that one.

One free change, no restrictions, on any new tickets would go a long way to easing ordinary Canadians' concerns about booking travel right now.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by eigenvector
This bonus is redeemable miles only, no status miles.
Didn't read the fine print. No surprise but at least I don't feel so bad now.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I suppose this means all my int'l trips that need to go through YYZ should be booked as 2 tickets? Or would the system give me the extra miles on a YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL segment on my way to EU etc?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I suppose this means all my int'l trips that need to go through YYZ should be booked as 2 tickets? Or would the system give me the extra miles on a YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL segment on my way to EU etc?
IIRC from a past similar promotion the domestic segments did get the bonus (I think I had domestic segments on a domestic promotion where my end destination was the USA). I think the system just looks for domestic flights as they post to Aeroplan and confirms if the booking and travel date requirements have been met (although that data point was pre-amadeus, and a few years old).
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Since some good questions are being asked, here's the full terms and conditions for this offer:

Terms and Conditions

To qualify for this promotion:

Offer is reserved for Aeroplan Members and is non-transferable, only the recipient can register to this offer exclusively through this email. You must register for this offer between March 9, 2020 and March 30, 2020.

Subject to the fare option purchased, either 100%, 150%, or 200% bonus Aeroplan Miles will be awarded for eligible flights flown for new bookings only made between March 9, 2020 and March 30, 2020 by 19:59 Eastern Time inclusively, for travel on eligible flights between March 9, 2020 and July 20, 2020.

To qualify as new, the booking must have been created for the first time during the eligible promotional period, with a new reference number. Any booking made prior to the start of the promotion that is subsequently changed to include travel dates within the qualifying travel period will not be considered a new booking that is eligible for the promotion.

The bonus Aeroplan Miles for this offer will only be credited to the first passenger with their Aeroplan Number listed (appended) on the reservation. Should this passenger cancel his/her flights, the bonus Aeroplan Miles will be awarded to the next passenger with their Aeroplan Number listed, which is now the first listed on the reservation.

Valid on all routes within Canada, operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express® and Air Canada Rouge® for travel between March 9, 2020 and July 20, 2020.

To qualify for the 100%, 150%, or 200% bonus Aeroplan Miles, the eligible round trips or two one-way segments must be travelled in the following eligible fare options:

100% bonus Aeroplan Miles – Economy Standard

150% bonus Aeroplan Miles – Economy Flex, comfort, Economy Latitude

200% bonus Aeroplan Miles – Premium Economy lowest, Premium Economy flexible, Premium Rouge, Business Class lowest, and Business Class flexible.

For example, for itineraries booked in an Economy Flex fare option, 100% of the bonus mileage will be assessed for every two segments. When booking an Economy Flex fare option and travelling from Edmonton (YEG) to Toronto Pearson (YYZ), basic mile accumulation of 100% amounts to 1,670 Aeroplan Miles per segment, for a total of 3,340 Aeroplan Miles per round-trip.

Based on the 150% Economy Flex bonus Aeroplan Miles promotion, a member would earn an additional 5,010 bonus Aeroplan Miles. For more information regarding earning Aeroplan Miles, please click here.

Depending on fare class purchased, either 100%, 150%, or 200% bonus Aeroplan Miles will be applied exclusively towards miles earned based on the distance flown as per the fare mileage accrual rule. The class of service bonus miles and miles earned in conjunction with the Altitude Bonus Select Privileges are excluded.

For flight segments not wholly travelled within the same fare option, members will earn a combination of the purchased fare option offers. For example, if departing from Edmonton (YEG) to Toronto Pearson (YYZ) with an Economy Standard fare option, however returning to Toronto Pearson (YYZ) from Edmonton (YEG) with a Premium Economy fare option, members will be credited a total of 5,010 bonus miles for these two segments, that is 1,670 bonus miles for the Economy Standard segment and 3,340 bonus miles for the Premium Economy segment.

To be eligible to receive the bonus Aeroplan Miles, you must provide your Aeroplan number when completing your purchase.

A minimum of one round trip or two one-way segments is required to earn and qualify for the 100%, 150%, or 200% bonus Aeroplan Miles.

Bonus miles will be issued for all flight activity credited before August 10th, 2020.

Valid on published fares and Flight Passes which are eligible for Aeroplan mile accumulation. Offer is not valid when travelling on an Air Canada Unlimited Flight Pass.

Not valid on published fares that do not allow for Aeroplan mile accumulation.

Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Altitude® Qualifying Miles and do not count towards Air Canada AltitudeTM status.

Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the qualifying flights are completed.

Upgraded flight segments (eUpgrades, last minute paid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, etc.) will be tracked for this promotion based on the eligibility of the original fare purchased.

Aeroplan Flight Rewards are not eligible for mileage accumulation.

Bonus Aeroplan Miles cannot be sold and are non-transferable. They have no cash value and cannot be converted to cash or refunded if unused.

Offer is subject to change at Air Canada’s sole discretion without notice; other conditions and restrictions may apply.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
From the T&Cs (bolding mine):

...the eligible round trips or two one-way segments must be travelled...
So I would read that as that you would get the bonus on the pairs of segments travelled in Canada on your way to wherever.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Since some good questions are being asked, here's the full terms and conditions for this offer:
Thanks for digging that up and posting it.

Note that math there explicitly clarifies that the bonus is based on distance flown, so standard is actually getting a 400% bonus compared to the regular earning rate (100% bonus / 25% regular earning rate = 400%).

I probably still wouldn't book Standard for myself, but it certainly makes the promotion a lot more appealing for anyone who might be interested in RDMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.