Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hoping for some advice on a recent denied boarding on Air Canada for sister-in-law

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hoping for some advice on a recent denied boarding on Air Canada for sister-in-law

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by walkertalk322

AC said the issue was they could not find the ticket in the system, but she had the AC confirmation number, emailed receipt, and UA said they could also see a confirmed seat in the system. They had called AC 1 month before the trip to select seats and AC had no issues locating the reservation in the system and assigning seats. So this does seem to be an issue with AC rather than the issuing carrier.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with some of the terminology used. You seem to confuse bookings with tickets and tickets wit boarding passes. This makes it more difficult to understand what has happened.

Did any of your e-mail confirmations have a ticket or more than one ticket number.
ticket numbers are 10 digits long. The first three digits denote who issued the ticket

014 AC
016 UA
999 CA

A single itinerary could have multiple tickets.

when UA or AC check your booking on the phone they could see a confirmed booking with seat assignments but if it has not been ticketed then you will not be able to check-in. A booking reference is usually 6 digits a mix on numbers and letters.

My initial thoughts about your situation is that tickets had not been issued for all the segments. i could be wrong.
We need to know how many booking references and how many ticket numbers you had.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkertalk322

AC said the issue was they could not find the ticket in the system, but she had the AC confirmation number, emailed receipt, and UA said they could also see a confirmed seat in the system. They had called AC 1 month before the trip to select seats and AC had no issues locating the reservation in the system and assigning seats. So this does seem to be an issue with AC rather than the issuing carrier.

UA issued the ticket – the entire itinerary was on 1 ticket.
If the ticket was issued by United, then even if the problem occurred with the AC leg then she should deal with United about the issue.

Also, one needs to be careful about reservation vs. Ticket. Checking with airlines using the booking reference will yield information about reservations, set assignment etc. But not necessarily abpout ticketing issues. Which these previous phone calls might not have identified.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, this is an odd situation. If an AC agent at a check-in counter knows a passenger's name and flight, it shouldn't be hard to find them. It's hard to say whether UA messed something up or the AC agent at PEK did, but it seems more likely that there was a screw-up on the UA end than the AC end. I'd probably be pushing them on this issue.

Do you happen to have the ticket number(s)? I wonder whether you could glean any information from looking it (or them) up on the Saudia website.

Originally Posted by robsaw
In this era or e-tickets and e-confirmations that CTA has pretty consistently ruled that a passenger with an e-ticket receipt showing confirmed reservations is proof enough that there is a valid "ticket" for regulatory purposes. Technical glitches with the actual ticketing process between airlines hold no sway - the issue is finding the correct party to blame and provide compensation. Easy for us experts to check and double-check, but the CTA has no such requirement on passengers.
You say that, and yet I just searched the decisions on the CTA website for "denied boarding" and not once did the validity of the ticket come up in the context of Canadian regulations. It came up once in the context of someone asking the CTA to enforce EU261 compensation after DL failed to allow a passenger to check in for a YUL-JFK-CDG itinerary due to not presenting her credit card, when CTA pointed out that DL's actions did not constitute denied boarding since there was a question as to whether or not there was a valid ticket. And that determination was that this was a case of refusal to transport, not denied boarding.

Which is contrary to what you've said.

If you have some evidence to support what you've said, please provide it.

By the way, most denied boarding cases that CTA has decided revolve around whether valid documents were presented (usually relating to visa requirements) or failure to show up at the gate on time.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I once had a UA issued ticket with a codeshare operated by AC. There was no reservation for that flight, even though there was a ticket.

I've definitely had cases with Aeroplan tickets where an unticketed change (i.e. there's a reservation but no ticket) causes other issues.

So it's not clear who's at fault here.

It is clear that AC is going to be best able to shed some light on what happened, and it seems like they certainly could have been more helpful.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:48 am

Probably a dumb question as I’ve never flown AC out of China. If the passenger could bring up the reservation in the app, could they not OLCI for the AC flight?

Also, this flight happened 2 months ago, and seats were reserved/confirmed a month prior. It sounds like this could be an Amadeus conversion issue as the timeframe could mean the reservation was made pre-conversion.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Probably a dumb question as I’ve never flown AC out of China. If the passenger could bring up the reservation in the app, could they not OLCI for the AC flight?

Also, this flight happened 2 months ago, and seats were reserved/confirmed a month prior. It sounds like this could be an Amadeus conversion issue as the timeframe could mean the reservation was made pre-conversion.
Having a boarding pass does not mean you have a valid ticket, so whether you can OLCI isn't relevant.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Having a boarding pass does not mean you have a valid ticket, so whether you can OLCI isn't relevant.
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of the agent being able to find information on the booking. If the pax had been able to OLCI then the pax’s name would show up on the list of passengers checked in and then that could help the agent find other potentially useful information about the booking.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of the agent being able to find information on the booking. If the pax had been able to OLCI then the pax’s name would show up on the list of passengers checked in and then that could help the agent find other potentially useful information about the booking.
The issue was that "they could not find the ticket in their system".

Assuming the passenger recalls the right word, and the agent was using the correct word, then it sounds like typical ticketing issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.