Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Air Canada Announces the Extension of Altitude Status for all Members - April 6 2020

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...or-all-Members
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-announces-the-extension-of-altitude-status-for-all-members-802890008.html
https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/faq-help

For those coming here for the tl;dr redux version of what AC is doing, here is the latest and greatest.

On March 17, 2020, we received bonus eUgrade credits that are noted to expire on May 31, 2021:

S100K received 25 credits, E75K received 20 credits, E50K received 15 credits, etc.

And here is a recent update from jasdou regarding a statement from AC Altitude:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32197689-post152.html

Originally Posted by jasdou
I also just noticed this seemingly new entry in the FAQ on the Altitude website:

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by mileageking
Maybe they will announce something around Feb 12 to align with their Q4 & full year 2020 results?
My bet's on them banking status and halving the requirements.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyztozag
My bet's on them banking status and halving the requirements.
Even getting to 50,000 miles this year will be an accomplishment

As long as there are 14 days quarantines back into the country, borders are closed...there are only a handful that can pull it off
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Yeah the only people who can do it wil be those who exclusively do frequent long hauls within Canada or more likely qualify off segments - probably most of the high mileage people would qualify based on long haul internationals which virtually no one will still be doing
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
Yeah the only people who can do it wil be those who exclusively do frequent long hauls within Canada or more likely qualify off segments - probably most of the high mileage people would qualify based on long haul internationals which virtually no one will still be doing
Most of the high-mileage domestic people are grounded too though.

Some will still qualify, but has to be a very small number.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:54 am

I would assume near 100% of the high mileage international people are grounded and the very large majority of the domestic people are grounded or way cut back
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I would assume near 100% of the high mileage international people are grounded
I likely fit in this category and anticipate being grounded through 2021. Internally, I am thinking Q4-2022 is when more regular flying will occur. At this point, I expect to be using one of my banked SE years for 2022.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I likely fit in this category and anticipate being grounded through 2021. Internally, I am thinking Q4-2022 is when more regular flying will occur. At this point, I expect to be using one of my banked SE years for 2022.
That's what they are there for!! Just like a bunch of aeroplans, no sense in hoarding them. Use them the first reasonable opportunity you get
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by lcohen999

As long as there are 14 days quarantines back into the country, borders are closed...there are only a handful that can pull it off
I can guarantee that I'll earn at least 5000 SQM this year but definitely won't earn more than 15,000. That doesn't get me anywhere with status, and I know that many people, including with higher status, won't even be getting that.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by yyztozag
I can guarantee that I'll earn at least 5000 SQM this year but definitely won't earn more than 15,000. That doesn't get me anywhere with status, and I know that many people, including with higher status, won't even be getting that.
They have stated (and even if they hadn't it is pretty obviously in their interest!) that they will do something. What that will look like I don't know. A lot of other airlines are cutting the status requirements roughly in half, this would probably be fair if travel picks up in the summer once people are starting to get vaccinated. Definitely they don't want to lose all their SEs though, they don't give you all those perks because they like you, they want your 20K+ per year!! (well I assume they do just like me)
m.y and yyztozag like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's what they are there for!! Just like a bunch of aeroplans, no sense in hoarding them. Use them the first reasonable opportunity you get
You don't choose when you use it. It's automatically used the first time it's needed.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:54 am

Oh I didn't know that. I guess it makes sense. Good to use it now though instead of late in life when your travelling is potentially winding down for good
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lcohen999
My problem won't likely be the SQM, but rather the SQD. I'm earning lots of SQM with my credit card spend. It is very unlikely I'd hit $10,000 in SQD if they do halve the requirement.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
And - for those of us outside of Canada - we are basically blocked from travelling (you are blocked if not Canadian). I think they will have to consider one more year of full extension of status. Beyond that - there will have to be some ability to travel freely or the airlines just won't make it in their current form.

I have already written off 2021 - I do have 3 trips to Canada booked but only the next one (March) will happen if there continues to be any quarantine restrictions of any kind (other than a simple few day test and release).
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: E 75K
Gifting of Status

Hey now,

I recall a statement from AC last year in which they communicated that due to Covid, the Status one enjoyed in 2020 would remain unchanged into 2021. In addition to a current status rollover, the status earned by an individual in 2020 (for 2021) would be eligible for gifting to a friend/family member.

There was some discussion on this a few weeks back but I seem to have lost track of the thread. Has there been any updates on this?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 1:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fortech
There was some discussion on this a few weeks back but I seem to have lost track of the thread.
<Moderator hat>

This is the thread, which is why I merged your thread here.

</Moderator hat>

Has there been any updates on this?
Maybe we'll be able to do it in March. Or maybe not. Who knows. More discussion upthread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.