Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Air Canada Announces the Extension of Altitude Status for all Members - April 6 2020

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...or-all-Members
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-announces-the-extension-of-altitude-status-for-all-members-802890008.html
https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/faq-help

For those coming here for the tl;dr redux version of what AC is doing, here is the latest and greatest.

On March 17, 2020, we received bonus eUgrade credits that are noted to expire on May 31, 2021:

S100K received 25 credits, E75K received 20 credits, E50K received 15 credits, etc.

And here is a recent update from jasdou regarding a statement from AC Altitude:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32197689-post152.html

Originally Posted by jasdou
I also just noticed this seemingly new entry in the FAQ on the Altitude website:

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Got the email and 10 credits. Surprising that I got a 50% bonus, even as a lowly P25K. That's some good news after a day of earthquakes and aftershocks. God willing, I'll be using those credits on a couple of transborders in July.

Stay safe
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
E35K here. I'm just going to copy and paste what I see in my eupgrade account:

Expiry Date Credits
28 Feb, 2021 40
31 May, 2021 15
Total 55

Credits Earned Starting 23 Mar, 2018
Deposited Details Credits
17 Mar, 2020 Flight Pass or Promotion+15
05 Feb, 2020 You have earned eUpgrade Credits with your new Air Canada Altitude status.+20
24 Dec, 2019 Air Canada Altitude Threshold+10
26 Nov, 2019 Flight Pass or Promotion+10
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC 75k
According to my dashboard, mine came in Mar 17, but no email to tell me. Just double checked.
Still "holding" credits from unsucessful upgrade Mar 1 tho.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Mention of the additional eUpgrade credits was in an email entitled "COVID-19 – What we are doing at Aeroplan." My email arrived Friday, 20 Mar 2020.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:25 am

AQM/AQD Threshold Reductions, Extensions, Exceptions for 2021 Altitude Status?

Has anybody heard or thought about possible reductions, extensions, or exceptions to the AC Altitude AQM/AQD thresholds for 2021? Obviously, there are more important things to worry about the in world right now. But I'm curious about possibilities. The longer the delay between some normalcy in travel, the more likely some kind of adjustments to qualifying thresholds becomes. Right? Thoughts?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FreddyBe
The longer the delay between some normalcy in travel, the more likely some kind of adjustments to qualifying thresholds becomes. Right?
Probably.

​​Thoughts?
There's already a thread with a couple hundred posts on this.
Bohemian1 and yyztozag like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Interesting post in the wiki for a United thread which lists all the airlines that responded to how COVID 19 is changing their programs etc, including Air Canada

"As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at Comparison of Loyalty Program Response to COVID19 "
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I wonder when we can expect an update from AC regarding all of this? I am getting tired of the updates that just say "you will be taken care of"...
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
12 month extension would be the easiest.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Prestige
I hope that is the case! I was on track for E35K, but not anymore thanks to COVID!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prestige
If things get better within a couple of months they might not. Just lower the requirements.

II it's not until end of summer that one is able to travel, there ight not be a better choice for them. Actually some airlines have already said that will be their policy.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
If things get better within a couple of months they might not. Just lower the requirements.

II it's not until end of summer that one is able to travel, there ight not be a better choice for them. Actually some airlines have already said that will be their policy.
Qantas is one of the airlines that has done this! It is definitely my hope that AC will follow.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by codfather
Qantas is one of the airlines that has done this! It is definitely my hope that AC will follow.
But unlike AC, QF has a rolling membership year, so they already had people whose status was being affected. AC status all expires end of February, so no one is at risk of losing status any time soon. AC has plenty of time to wait and see how this evolves.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But unlike AC, QF has a rolling membership year, so they already had people whose status was being affected. AC status all expires end of February, so no one is at risk of losing status any time soon. AC has plenty of time to wait and see how this evolves.
I gotta say Adam, that is what is unfortunate about AC status! I love it and I hate it!

February 2021 is a long ways away, so AC won't be affected by this for a long long time as you said!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AC E75K
Big news:

Hopefully this sets a precedent for others to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.