Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 7673 Feb 14th - significant delay, why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Is it Air Canada's funny way of showing some Valentine's Day love? In all seriousness would appreciate if someone posts the reason behind a 3 hour delay on a 1.2 hour flight. Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Is it Air Canada's funny way of showing some Valentine's Day love? In all seriousness would appreciate if someone posts the reason behind a 3 hour delay on a 1.2 hour flight. Thanks
In all seriousness, did you check the AirCanada website? The reason for the delay isn't hiding.
InTheAirGuy and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
In all seriousness, did you check the AirCanada website? The reason for the delay isn't hiding.
Yes, but don't buy it because even the day before it was significantly late and the 'late' reason of weather was not reflected by other on time departures at/around the time of my flight.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Yes, but don't buy it because even the day before it was significantly late and the 'late' reason of weather was not reflected by other on time departures at/around the time of my flight.
Have you even looked at where the plane operating the flight was coming in from? Just because other departures around the same time of your flight are on time doesn’t mean your flight wasn’t affected by weather.

Air Canada May stretch the truth in their delay reasons, but the weather delay for AC7673 on Feb 14th seems very reasonable.
yyz_atc_qq likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:39 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
For what it's worth, EF has no information on the delay.

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Air Canada May stretch the truth in their delay reasons, but the weather delay for AC7673 on Feb 14th seems very reasonable.
The inbound was 1:10 late to the gate at YYZ. OP's flight left over 3 hours late. Even if the inbound had arrived on time (15:45), it would have been far too late to operate OP's flight (15:20 scheduled departure). At best, it could probably have been expected to operate a departure around 16:30 (1:10 after the scheduled departure of OP's flight). Add its delay coming in on top of that, and you get departure possible around 17:40, vs actual departure of 18:23, which means it picked up another ~40 minutes of delay on the ground at YYZ.

Also, take a look at the aircraft through the day, according to the AC app:
  1. YYZ-DCA: 21 minutes late arriving due to customers needing extra time to clear CBP
  2. DCA-YYZ: 20 minutes late due to late inbound
  3. YYZ-EWR: 44 minutes late arriving (42 minutes late departing) due to weather affecting ground handling at YYZ (but was it really, when the inbound was already 20 minutes late? The turn was only blocked for 44 minutes, so safe to say that when the plane left 42 minutes late, a good chunk of that was due to the 20 minutes the inbound was late)

So I disagree that weather affecting the inbound is a reasonable explanation in this case, based on the facts available to us.

Unfortunately we don't have all of the facts. If the delay was posted as early as OP says it was, then likely there were mechanical or crew availability issues somewhere in the system that required them to assign that inbound from EWR to OP's YYZ-ORD flight, even though it had no hope of ever operating it on time. For instance, perhaps one of the E75s was AOG yesterday and, with no slack in the schedule, OP was one of the unlucky people whose flight got massively delayed as a result.

We just don't know. But what we can say for certain is that weather impacting the inbound is definitely not the reason why OP's flight arrived over 3 hours late; something else was definitely going on.
meltedmarshmellow likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
By the way, meltedmarshmellow , if you intend to try to claim compensation from AC for this mess, I suggest you screenshot the statuses of all those other flights and be prepared to make the case in the way that I made it above. My suspicion is that the front-line CSRs aren't well informed about these things, and when they look up the flight, just see "weather" and move on.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.