Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 767 Circling Madrid Barajas for Emergency Landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 767 Circling Madrid Barajas for Emergency Landing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Interesting to see if the 767 is repaired and returned to service considering she did not have that much time left in the fleet. Any news on whether she will re-enter the fleet?
Engines are probably a dime a dozen with the retirements, and wheels are trivially replaced. Have there been any pics posted of the aircraft online yet? They'd have to fix it just to get it out of there, unless they're okay with having it broken up on-site.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Interesting to see if the 767 is repaired and returned to service considering she did not have that much time left in the fleet. Any news on whether she will re-enter the fleet?
If the damage is only to the tire and the engine, likely back in service quickly, as pitz said.

Probably better discussed in the master fleet thread though.

Originally Posted by pitz
Engines are probably a dime a dozen with the retirements, and wheels are trivially replaced. Have there been any pics posted of the aircraft online yet? They'd have to fix it just to get it out of there, unless they're okay with having it broken up on-site.
There are some pictures in the thread on the incident.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Does Air Canada get charged for the fighter jet scramble?

​​​​
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Do most western countries charge for legitimate police response?
Stranger likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I found this AC837 event to be rather interesting, in part because it seem to be well-managed by the pilots and all the other teams who helped them.

I was at my desk when the flight had begun its circle process and was following an interesting guy from YEG who was posting live. He certainly had the a great seat and clearly, some awesome IFE, including video of the Spanish F18 just under his window.

In addition, Juan Brown - who many of you know from his videos, posted one about this event. Some interesting comments including a reference to how MAD ATC mentioned to AC837 pilots that there was a video available on YouTube. He also had a couple of photos in his video that I had not seen posted elsewhere including on PPRuNe and Aviation Herald.

@marke190 @songsc and @Adam Smith seem to be among those interested in details of these kinds of events, based on their posts in the other thread. I posted the photo of AC837 that was taken by the Spanish F18 pilot, along with the VASAviation video, as I found them to be the most interesting items available at the time.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the links. Thanks and safe travels.
marke190 and songsc like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
I found this AC837 event to be rather interesting, in part because it seem to be well-managed by the pilots and all the other teams who helped them.

I was at my desk when the flight had begun its circle process and was following an interesting guy from YEG who was posting live. He certainly had the a great seat and clearly, some awesome IFE, including video of the Spanish F18 just under his window.

In addition, Juan Brown - who many of you know from his videos, posted one about this event. Some interesting comments including a reference to how MAD ATC mentioned to AC837 pilots that there was a video available on YouTube. He also had a couple of photos in his video that I had not seen posted elsewhere including on PPRuNe and Aviation Herald.

@marke190 @songsc and @Adam Smith seem to be among those interested in details of these kinds of events, based on their posts in the other thread. I posted the photo of AC837 that was taken by the Spanish F18 pilot, along with the VASAviation video, as I found them to be the most interesting items available at the time.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the links. Thanks and safe travels.
I'd absolutely be interested in the links! Thanks 24left
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by marke190
I'd absolutely be interested in the links! Thanks 24left
@marke190

Appreciate the reply. Enjoy.

Aaron was doing the live tweets. Some great photos and video clips here. Scroll down to his first tweet from onboard on Feb 3.

https://twitter.com/thelastfedor

Juan Browne's video

marke190 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
@marke190

Appreciate the reply. Enjoy.

Aaron was doing the live tweets. Some great photos and video clips here. Scroll down to his first tweet from onboard on Feb 3.

https://twitter.com/thelastfedor

Juan Browne's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqRfogxvto
Thanks for sharing

Amazing onboard footage of the F18 getting close, not something you see out of a 763 window everyday!

The video confirms that they lost the engine 1 on takeoff, the other engine must have had a bit of a workout with the added drag from the gear during the climb and holding.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:47 am

Thanks to poster AC856 on PPRuNe for posting this:

QUOTE:

https://scontent.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7a&oe=5ED5DA9C

Looks like a pic taken from the F-18 surveying the damage.

Fantastic picture. Plenty have posted on the "Air Canada Over the Wing In-flight photos/videos" thread but not many can post on the "Air Canada Under the Wing in-flight photos/videos" one.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I noticed that on flightradar24 earlier - that C-GHOZ is on its way back from Madrid and it's emergency landing. I half wondered whether AC would scrap it in Madrid, but it must be repaired engine wise for it to hop across the Ocean. These are so useful for the SFOs and LAXs. I even had a 767 rescue me and others from LGA when a couple of other flights were cancelled which was great fun thundering down the (shortish) runway at full throttle. (I think it's the largest aircraft which can use LGA.)
These 767 which is still my favourite plane to fly on (i know it's weird but i like the 2-3-2 in coach, the leg room and fast boarding / deplaning) and are being life extended though I know next summer the YOW to LHR finally goes to a 787-8
Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:21 pm
Suspended

QUOTE:

"On Dec 10th 2021 the CIAIAC released their
final report concluding the probable cause of the incident was:

The investigation has determined that the incident involving the C-GHOZ aircraft was caused by the presence of a sharp foreign object (FOD) on runway 36L at Madrid-Adolfo Suárez Airport, which punctured tyre number 5 on its left main landing gear and resulted in the explosion of the tyre and other secondary failures.

The CIAIAC analysed:

The incident involving the C-GHOZ aircraft was caused by the failure of tyre number 5 on its main landing gear at 14:58:03, two seconds before the lift-off at the end of the take-off run. Specifically, the tyre burst and subsequently threw its tread."

Full post:
Incident: Canada B763 at Madrid on Feb 3rd 2020, engine shut down in flight, burst tyre on departure
respectable_man likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.