Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No-status eUp nominee window ≠ SE status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat

Rookie SE here and thought I had a solid plan, but clearly screwed something up. Here's the situation:

I bought 2x Southwestern Sun FP's to cover 4 of us. Me, Mrs. yyckerr, and the 2 offspring. Mrs. yyckerr is my eUp nominee.

On FP #1 is me + kid 1
On FP #2 is Mrs. yyckerr + kid 2

I booked us all a trip, on 2 PNR's - obviously. I understood it to be that the eUp window for nominees was based on my status, not theirs (she has none).

I went to eUp my booking, no problem. Went to go do hers next and it's showing Not Available, can't even waitlist.

Called the concierge, she had no idea. Could HUCA but thought I'd check here.

Am I dumb?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
I think you may be confusing the purpose of nominees.
You can select someone who is not on your PNR as a nominee that YOU can upgrade. They do not get the "super powers" to upgrade. It enables you to upgrade someone who are you are not flying with.

Without using your 1 nominee, you are able to directly upgrade yourself and two other flying with you on the same PNR + you can upgrade your nominee.
Since you setup the flights on separate PNRs you may have a bit of a problem.

My nominee for the year is a very generous friend who has a great collection of single malt scotch he is happy to share.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I understand the difference between a companion on the same PNR and a nominee.

In this case I went to go and upgrade her reservation via my online eup account and it wouldn’t let me. Should it have?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
Ahhhh. sorry for assuming u did not know the difference...
My guess if yes It should. I upgrade my buddy post Amadeus based on my eligibility period.
at least I think i did it after migration.
why separate the PNRs that way. Another option if on same flight just upgrade kid 1 and give your wife that seat.
good luck!
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks. So now I wonder if it’s causing a problem because there’s a second person on her reservation. Could it be that if she was flying solo, it would let me upgrade her right now, but maybe because she’s got a companion it won’t?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can't upgrade your other kid.

An SE can upgrade at most two other people before the airport. A PNR companion, and a nominee.

​​​​​You're trying to upgrade three.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Damn. So no dice at all. Even if we were all on the same PNR, I couldn’t do it if I’m understanding you.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can't upgrade your other kid.

An SE can upgrade at most two other people before the airport. A PNR companion, and a nominee.

​​​​​You're trying to upgrade three.
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Damn. So no dice at all. Even if we were all on the same PNR, I couldn’t do it if I’m understanding you.
If I'm not mistaken, the key word is "before the airport" and you would be able to upgrade the kid sharing your wife's PNR on the day of departure if space is available. To request an upgrade for your wife now, you would have to split her PNR
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pewpew
If I'm not mistaken, the key word is "before the airport" and you would be able to upgrade the kid sharing your wife's PNR on the day of departure if space is available. To request an upgrade for your wife now, you would have to split her PNR
Ah ok gotcha. So in theory, if I split her PNR, I could request her today, and then try and get kid 2 sorted at the airport. Or is kid 2 SOL no matter what because I used my companion upgrade on kid 1 already?

Except that for the time being, nothing can be done at the airport on the day of departure.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:09 pm

Make a kid a nominee. Book yourself and both kids on one PNR. Upgrade them. Upgrade your wife at the airport.

Or just use a Latitude FP.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Or just use a Latitude FP.
this is definitely the moving forward plan.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:54 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
You can't upgrade with e-credits now at airport under the new system
You might be offered a paid upgrade via online check-in or you could even try AC-Bid

Giving your wife E50 status as part of your 100K status would probably be a good plan too
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
You can't upgrade with e-credits now at airport under the new system
Unless you're SE.

And technically it's "under the old system".
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
It is my understanding that you can only upgrade 1 companion and a nominee. I did this in December with the exact same situation and I had to make my 6 year old my nominee and have a friend of mine make meh wife hi s nominee. The other child was a companion. 3 MAX.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Unless you're SE.

And technically it's "under the old system".
That's more of a YMMY situation that a hard and fast rule..... is it not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.