Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for a Hawaii trip to avoid the 737 max

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

So I am in the planning phase of our annual Xmas/nye trip, and this coming year we thought about returning to Hawaii. The wife and I both enjoy Hawaii, been there multiple times, but last time was about 5 years ago.

anyways, we were looking for flights, and a the possible route to Hawaii, either HNL or OGG shows as being on the 737 max.

Knowing you the earliest, the Max will be back is June 2020, if that. I really would rather not fly the max, when they are back in service.

if I was travelling from YYZ, what would Be some strategy to get to Hawaii without the Max?

points it pay fare is fine.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
There is a question if MAX can even return to air now. It is not exactly a concern.

Focus on something more important - finding a seat. Award in June is extremely limited.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Isn’t the YYZ-HNL flight on the 789? That’s the best way to avoid the max, take a route that is too long for it Or alternatively connect through US on a carrier that doesn’t have them.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would focus on the best trip based on your criteria. It is fairly remarkable that AC markets the -MAX at all right now, but you can be fairly assured that if the aircraft is ever returned to service, it will be the safest aircraft in the sky. That said, the if is the larger issue.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Commie
So I am in the planning phase of our annual Xmas/nye trip, and this coming year we thought about returning to Hawaii. The wife and I both enjoy Hawaii, been there multiple times, but last time was about 5 years ago.

anyways, we were looking for flights, and a the possible route to Hawaii, either HNL or OGG shows as being on the 737 max.

Knowing you the earliest, the Max will be back is June 2020, if that. I really would rather not fly the max, when they are back in service.

if I was travelling from YYZ, what would Be some strategy to get to Hawaii without the Max?

Fly via CONUS cnx on US3 or other? That's what I'd probably do if I had the same concerns.

How would you approach if it were for a booking to HNL or OGG next month (and hypothetically the Max was back in service)?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The Alberta to Hawaii on WS or AC will likely be Max for sure. YVR to Hawaii on WS could stay as an 800 as fuel stops are quite rare. I am booking a Nov trip and will take my chances. If the plane flies I am sure it will be very well vetted by authorities around the world.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Isn’t the YYZ-HNL flight on the 789? That’s the best way to avoid the max, take a route that is too long for it Or alternatively connect through US on a carrier that doesn’t have them.
The YYZ-HNL 789 flight is absolutely the way to go if it fits your schedule. I'm booked on that next week and that will be my 4th time this season. It's a relaxing and comfortable flight. By comparison, all other options are pretty unpleasant. The drawback, of course, is the lack of frequency; only about 30 flights per year.

As for strategies for avoiding the MAX, that's easy: book on Air Canada. I don't believe the MAX will ever return to AC's fleet.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:30 pm

AC currently flies a 789 3x weekly to HNL from YYZ (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). If this route is offered again next winter that'll be your best bet. I looked up a few random dates in Jan 2021 and the non-stop flight was showing as available.

If you can't take the non-stop, and you want to avoid the Max, who knows... If the aircraft isn't certified in the next few months it might not be back in the schedule until the end of the year and then you won't have anything to worry about. You could hold off on booking until July to see if AC makes any announcement regarding a return to service date.

I'm booked to go to Hawaii in the next few weeks. Fortunately I was able to get AC mainline on the way there. On the way back I'm flying Omni. Other days around my travel time appear to be a mix of rouge and/or Omni aircraft (which might not be better than a Max once re-certified). Booking anything via western Canada would be rolling the dice as if the Max is back those routes will most likely be Max, or rouge 767.

If I were you, if your planned travel dates are less than a year away, I'd book the flights I want on the 787 non-stop flight. If AC discontinues this flight for next year and wants to re-route you, you'd be able to change for free to another routing of your choice, or get a full refund. If AC changes things you could likely hold off until October/November (once there is more certainty on New Year's schedule) to change your flights.
TheCanuckian and autopilot638 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If the Max was certified today even June would be pushing it. With the updates to the airframes and pilot training etc, 4-6 months minimum to get them in the air.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Commie

Fly United. You can often catch a domestic 777 to Hawaii from many of their gateways.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A reminder that this thread isn't the best venue to debate the return of the Max to the skies so let's please save that discussion for another thread.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Fly EWR-HNL its lay flat seats on either at 767-300 or 767-400.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just booked the YYZ-HNL and HNL-YYZ on the 789 for two trips this year, including 5 seats going out on Boxing Day 2020, definitely the way to go.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
AFAIK you cant even fly any 737 from east coast direct to Hawaii
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Any longer term predictions about 737 MAX require the help of the FTer with the crystal ball, but he is currently busy in another thread about when premium cabin prices will come down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.