Wiki Posts
Search

Request regarding Canadian Do's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Request regarding Canadian Do's

I am attending the Singapore Do right now, and one of the attendees asked me why there were no Canadian Do's, I told him there was an annual
YYZ Xmas Do, others in YYC, YVR, YQB, etc, and that they are advertised on the AC forum. He asked me why there was no notice in the Community
Buzz forum, which is where these thing are normally found, and my answer was " Um, I don't know - why not"

A few of the Singapore attendees said they would attend YYZ, YYC, or YVR Do's if they knew about them.

So????
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please note that AC forum members are asked to cross-post a notice of FT Do's in the Community Buzz forum any FTer may attend.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
YOW, YYZ (2)

I also attended the 1st YOW DO - July 30, 2018.
I agree with you 100 % that Canadian DOs should not (just) be posted in the Aeroplan forum! I made this point # times at the YYZ DOs. The answer is the AC sycophants want it that way.
But there is another more sensitive reason. Canadian DO's are often arranged LM. The last one I attended in YYZ was organized by a fellow from YYT, as I recall. Obviously, a DO arranged in less than two weeks won't attract large # international FT members.
For my part, I (like you) am attending my 1st ever int'l DO in BNE in May. Can't wait! Spread the word!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:11 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It's also worth noting that the AC forum Dos tend to be small and quick - one evening of dinner/drinks, typically. In contrast to many of the international Dos that last several days, involve lots of different activities, people splitting off in to different groups, etc.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's also worth noting that the AC forum Dos tend to be small and quick - one evening of dinner/drinks, typically. In contrast to many of the international Dos that last several days, involve lots of different activities, people splitting off in to different groups, etc.
This.

Though I'd definitely enjoy some more international flavours (not that we don't already have a lot in Canada).

FYI, Dos every week in YMQ 😎
D582 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:18 am

Impromptu last-minute events are really not the concern as much as larger events planned well in advance so I'll ask those who've posted upcoming do's to also post a quick summary in a new Community Buzz forum thread linking back to the main thread here in Ac forum.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:00 am

I need a crash course on how to cross post YYZ Mini Do cause I recall getting into trouble for posting into multiple forums channels.

I usually do 1x summer at Against the Grain and 1x pre holiday near Union Station.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They attract different crowds.

I'm pretty sure everyone who's attended AC dos and CB dos would agree on that.

That's not necessarily an issue, but I easily see it splitting off into two groups (that's definitely happened at least once).

And at that point, why bother?

There have been some great Canadian "international" dos. The last one in YVR didn't get a ton of attention from people on the AC forum, but that's fine too.

No one's being excluded.
Adam Smith, D582 and Dorian like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
I need a crash course on how to cross post YYZ Mini Do cause I recall getting into trouble for posting into multiple forums channels.
See this thread YYC3722 posted in Community Buzz forum.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No one's being excluded.

That's not the sentiment expressed to OP as the CBuzz forum is supposed to be the place to post all FT Do's so currently posted and future Do's will need to be posted in both forums so they are open to all.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.