Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why does Air Canada keep changing my settings to German?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

I booked an Air Canada flight through my SEN Miles & More account. Every time I log into the booking on Air Canada, it turns everything into German, even overriding the local settings already in place. And when I try to change the language, it logs me out.

Why does Air Canada do this? And why do they assume everyone booking through Lufthansa speaks German? It seems ridiculous that I have to use Google Translate for this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Have you tried clearing your cookies?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
I booked an Air Canada flight through my SEN Miles & More account. Every time I log into the booking on Air Canada, it turns everything into German, even overriding the local settings already in place. And when I try to change the language, it logs me out.

Why does Air Canada do this? And why do they assume everyone booking through Lufthansa speaks German? It seems ridiculous that I have to use Google Translate for this.
Can confirm. Similar problem here. I booked a flight out of China and now, whenever I try to manage that booking, it switches the website language to Simplified Chinese. Trying to change it back to English brings me back to the homepage. Tried two browsers: Chrome and Safari. Could have something to do with the Amadeus switchover as it only started happening recently.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cowie
Can confirm. Similar problem here. I booked a flight out of China and now, whenever I try to manage that booking, it switches the website language to Simplified Chinese. Trying to change it back to English brings me back to the homepage. Tried two browsers: Chrome and Safari. Could have something to do with the Amadeus switchover as it only started happening recently.
My flight is domestic YYZ-YVR, so it doesn't even originate from DE!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Did you try clearing your cookies and cache?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Did you try clearing your cookies and cache?
While this very well may be the solution, why should one even have to do this?

Air Canada is the only site I use regularly that seems to need this. I often have to switch to Firefox just to open the Altitude site without errors.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:36 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Plumber

Air Canada is the only site I use regularly that seems to need this. I often have to switch to Firefox just to open the Altitude site without errors.
because that's how the matrix works.

and you should be using mozilla anyways
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
This has happened to some of us with various countries over in the aircanada.fail thread. Norway seems to be a popular fallback, for some reason.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I've been getting the default set to USA for the past few weeks - although I change each time back to Canada, the next time I open AC.com it goes back to USA.
Infuriating.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90
This has happened to some of us with various countries over in the aircanada.fail thread. Norway seems to be a popular fallback, for some reason.
I think that may be different. That seems to be happening for no reason, whereas I'm guessing the incidents reported upthread have to do with the ticket's point of sale being registered as Germany or China given where the FFPs that were used to book the flights are domiciled there.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Plumber

Because your Firefox isn't loaded with adblockers and noscript and cookies? Incognito Chrome, or a plugin-less chrome, would be the same.

(Not to start a browser war, just so you understand why your fix is fixing it)

It's been a while since I've done any web development, but IME most web developers don't really know ... is going on. And don't need to. It would only take one guy (or girl, or miscellaneous) all smart enough, skilled enough and empowered enough, to fix this across all the AC/AP web properties.

But between management disinterest and long dead frameworks the empowering part may be neigh impossible.

Cow could probably talk more about this, but only after drinks in person.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Same thing for me when managing a booking that was made through our corporate travel agency except it changes to Japanese instead of German. After a few attempts of changing to English it kept me logged in so that I could select my seats.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
This is not quite AC related, but it's related to the topic. It happened to me as well, but when I cleared the cache, the problem was fixed.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by keitherson

Maybe they know something you don't. :-D
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Maybe they know something you don't. :-D
Nein!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.